Thread: Anyone Stay A Generation Behind Back In The Day?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anyone Stay A Generation Behind Back In The Day?

So, I got an Xbox on monday for $5, and games for it around here are dirty cheap, Im gonna get Half Life 2 for $10 alone this week. And the console is only 11 years old! I think with the dust firmly settled I can get the cream of the crop of games for it soon and for less than $200 easily and some other games that are curiosity buys only.

Did anyone buy a brand new 2600 in 1990? Or anything else like that? I think it pays to wait for consoles to become "obsolete to the masses who only buy games based on tv ads and what their friends play, then you get so much value for your cash.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I generally stay 2 or 3 generations behind nowadays. We do have a Wii and a DS but those are mostly for my daughter and her friends to play. The gamecube is my "newest" system and its my second go around with it, and I have been considering an original xbox too since, as you mentioned, the games are dirt cheap right now with many great titles on the system.

I think the only system I ever bought at release was the TG-16. Every other system that either I or my family has owned was several years after its release:

Atari 2600: 1981
    NES: 1988
    TG-16: 1989
    Genesis: 1991
    SNES: 1995
    PS1: 1998
    N64: 1999
    Xbox: 2005
    PS2: 2007
    Gamecube: 2009
    DS: 2010
    Wii: 2011

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to be always a generation behind when I was a student simply because that was the only way to experience modern gaming without ruining myself.

Nowaday I work and I have more money to throw around. I'm not by any stretch of the imagination an early adopter but I do have the PS3 and even a 3DS now. IMO it's smarter and more efficient to always be at least one generation behind, you save a lot of money on most games, the exception would be those silly low-print games that are actually fairly good (looking at you Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii)).

The only drawback I see from staying a generation behind is simply that you do not get to experience the latest and newest technology advancements. You also fall off the loop. There is something special about having a lot of people all discovering and playing a game at the same time, the internet is buzzing with news and discussion and you get to exchange opinions and talk a lot. It also increase the chance you will have something in common to talk about when you meet a fellow gamer in the wild, that is of course if he isn't a retro gamer and you are not both into the same kind of games.

is neither blue nor fast thom_m's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've always been at least one generation behind. My parents couldn't afford the current gen system back in the day, and now I'm the one who can't. My newest console is a PS2.
    Blowing on cartridges since 1987

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

My family was always late in getting game systems.

Atari 5200 -1986
    NES -Christmas 1988
    SNES- 1994
    Gameboy -1998
    N64 -1998/1999
    Dreamcast -2000/2001
    Xbox/Gamecube/PS2 -2002 (I was finally fairly up to date, first job)
    Xbox 360 -2009
    Wii -Christmas 2011
    PS3 -2012

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Up until now I've always been current gen. I don't have a Wii U, PS3, 360, Vita or 3DS. This is the first time I haven't had at least one up-to-date system or handheld since 1987.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by SOL BADGUY View Post
    So, I got an Xbox on monday for $5, and games for it around here are dirty cheap, Im gonna get Half Life 2 for $10 alone this week. And the console is only 11 years old! I think with the dust firmly settled I can get the cream of the crop of games for it soon and for less than $200 easily and some other games that are curiosity buys only.

Did anyone buy a brand new 2600 in 1990? Or anything else like that? I think it pays to wait for consoles to become "obsolete to the masses who only buy games based on tv ads and what their friends play, then you get so much value for your cash.

I abused the shit out of gamestops buy 2 get 1 free sales, im pretty sure i have every single worth owning for the system

If you want to save even more money and get even more functionality from it, soft mod it and get xbmc, any game you want is just 1 download away
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I did, but by choice rather than necessity. I had the 16-bit systems at their start, but didn't give them up with the onset of the 32/64 bit generation. I had an N64, but it was rarely played, preferring instead the SNES and Genesis. I finally really hit the N64 and PS1 only around 2000/2001, and then acquired a PS2 and Xbox decently early last gen (I think 2002 and 2003 respectively). When the 360 came out, I just shrugged my shoulders. Now I've gone in the completely opposite direction, getting retro consoles I never had, like Dreamcast, Saturn, and Famicom.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Usually for me yes i don't all ways buy a console at launch.The last time i did it was for the dreamcast and that was it.I'm still undecided at this point,save up for a wii u or wait for the PS4.That's if i do i'm still in the process of rebuying games of past consoles ive owned.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 03-28-2013 at 12:27 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I sold my NES (bought around 1987) in 1992 to get a SNES, and got a Turbografx that Christmas. But when those didn't completely fill the void for me, I bought a used NES in 1994 and have stayed retro ever since.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Nope, not me. Game consoles aren't that expensive. I've always played what's new, but at the same time also picked up many games from older generations. This is probably the greatest time to get into PS2, GameCube and especially original Xbox games - most titles are not very expensive, the collector's markets are fairly small and they're not so old you can't immediately enjoy them as modern games rather than retro experiences.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Nope, not me. Game consoles aren't that expensive. I've always played what's new, but at the same time also picked up many games from older generations. This is probably the greatest time to get into PS2, GameCube and especially original Xbox games - most titles are not very expensive, the collector's markets are fairly small and they're not so old you can't immediately enjoy them as modern games rather than retro experiences.
    I agree with Xbox/PS2, but for some reason Gamecube games have really shot up. Has anyone else noticed that? Gamecubes themselves are set at forgiving prices but Windwaker/Sunshine/Melee/Four Swords seem to be climbing to $25-30 whereas comparable PS2 and Xbox games will cost 1/5 of those. maybe they'll lower sometime soon

To answer the question: I do stay a generation except for handhelds generally. I don't know what it is about handhelds, but I bought 3DS recently--probably because it's not too expensive itself, and because I *need* to play the new Pokemon as soon as they come out. I can't justify new consoles at their price because I won't be home enough to play, but 3DS I can carry with me.