Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CIB

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default CIB

I dont like this term, I didnt know what it was for a long time, then I found out it stood for Complete In Box.......Isnt it not complete if it doesnt have the box? Thats my problem with it, its redundant.

What do you guys think? Any other collector lingo you dont like? (which I only mean by lingo itself, not people abusing/misusing lingo)

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

I agree, complete has always meant the game, box/case, and manual. Why we have to now state Complete In Box seems stupid to me as well.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

"CIB" is useless if only for the fact that it's used for both "complete in box" and "cart/instructions/box". In the latter's case, it's not necessarily complete, like if, for example, the game came with a map but it isn't included.

As for the redundancy of "complete in box", I think the point of it is the distinction that it's not just a box and a game, missing the manual or any other items.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

its just a description and condition statement. It's not just for videogames, it comes from collectibles like 80s Transformers and GI Joe.
    Last edited by LimitedEditionMuseum; 03-29-2013 at 11:50 PM.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    "CIB" is useless if only for the fact that it's used for both "complete in box" and "cart/instructions/box". In the latter's case, it's not necessarily complete, like if, for example, the game came with a map but it isn't included.

As for the redundancy of "complete in box", I think the point of it is the distinction that it's not just a box and a game, missing the manual or any other items.
    And we've got a winner all around!
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If standard terms don't differentiate games with just the box, cartridge and manual and those that are TRULY complete as originally packaged, why not just adopt two terms? CMB (Cart, Manual, Box) and CIB (Complete In Box).

Then again, lots of games ARE complete with just cart, manual and box, so perhaps the universally confusing CIB term would be...less confusing?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you have everything that you got when you took the shrink wrap off and you list it on Ebay you should just say "complete", if its missing something or wasnt originally packaged with something then you should say it. Thats why they dont limit you in the description section on Ebay.
    Last edited by SOL BADGUY; 03-30-2013 at 12:26 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Never had a problem with the term so it doesn't matter to me in the least bit.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I think the reason CIB is a commonly used term for cart, instructions and box is because those are the three components that you know every game has to come with. It is really hard to find out sometimes which games came with which posters, which maps, which magazine subscription ads, which registration cards and other such extras that not everybody even tries to collect.

If there were some kind of master database where people who bought games sealed and opened them to display all factory new contents with every game and showed the pictures it would be doable. Otherwise it is hard to even tell which editions of which games came with which extras. For example, the Player's Choice version of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past did not come with the map that the original release had. I know this because I got the Player's Choice version new for my 10th birthday.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    If there were some kind of master database where people who bought games sealed and opened them to display all factory new contents with every game and showed the pictures it would be doable. Otherwise it is hard to even tell which editions of which games came with which extras. For example, the Player's Choice version of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past did not come with the map that the original release had. I know this because I got the Player's Choice version new for my 10th birthday.
    Well, people can still lie about what they mean by CIB or complete, its up to the buyer to make sure that what the person is selling them is what theyre paying for. So CIB is just a redundant term that is useless if people dont actually know what something is when its listed as complete. People can shop around online and look at different postings of the same item and know what was in the box.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dr. BaconStein's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It never really bothered me unlike stupid stuff like "RARE!!!" and "L@@K!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SP4C3FL34
    PSN
    ArrowShockwave

It shouldn't be used with games in general. As has been stated, it is redundant since the games typically can't be considered complete without the box. But the term makes perfect sense when discussing other electronics or things like action figures. They can be complete with all their components, but not in the box, or they can be "complete in box."

I'm more annoyed by people who use it as cart/instructions/box. It's like nails on a chalkboard. I can't stand it.
    Be Attitude For Gains...

whaler on the moon Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Term doesn't bother me. I always read the description, look at the pictures for more clarity if I am that concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceFlea View Post
    It shouldn't be used with games in general. As has been stated, it is redundant since the games typically can't be considered complete without the box. But the term makes perfect sense when discussing other electronics or things like action figures. They can be complete with all their components, but not in the box, or they can be "complete in box."
    I don't mean to split hairs, but why does a game need the box to be complete, but not other electronics or action figures? The vast majority of games are "complete" as long as they play in their required console.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by frogofdeath View Post
    Term doesn't bother me. I always read the description, look at the pictures for more clarity if I am that concerned.

I don't mean to split hairs, but why does a game need the box to be complete, but not other electronics or action figures? The vast majority of games are "complete" as long as they play in their required console.
    Because when games were sold they came in the box, and the box was a great place to store them in most of the time so they wouldnt get damaged. People have toy chests to put action figures in, and action figures are meant to be thrown all over the room and still be playable. Games came in boxes and they had cool art work on them, plus the instructions were also in there and most games you REALLY needed that booklet to know how to play and what was going on in the beginning. Youre comparing computer software to things you can leave in the mud over night.

Also the game boxes let you know of the story going on with a game, like with movie covers, action figures you get and can make them be characters in any story you want.
    Last edited by SOL BADGUY; 03-30-2013 at 10:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I even keep my boxes for all other electronics and the instructions for it too. It's nice when selling, the customer knows that you take care of your stuff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

For me a video game is like a vinyl record or CD, you don't throw away those boxes either

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. BaconStein View Post
    It never really bothered me unlike stupid stuff like "RARE!!!" and "L@@K!"
    Exactly. I've not seen an abuse of the terms complete or CIB. But it get's old seeing people calling a game on eBay rare when there are five pages of auctions for the same game.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

CIB, Complete In Box, is a backformation from MIB, Mint In Box, used for vintage toys. There's also MISB, with the S being sealed, though I don't recall ever seeing CISB, they just tend to say sealed in that case.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    Exactly. I've not seen an abuse of the terms complete or CIB. But it get's old seeing people calling a game on eBay rare when there are five pages of auctions for the same game.
    Ive seen it used on forums, like this one, and I watching a lot of Game Chasers, and they kept saying it. Apparently theyre also toy collectors so I guess they cant shake the habit.

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    CIB, Complete In Box, is a backformation from MIB, Mint In Box, used for vintage toys. There's also MISB, with the S being sealed, though I don't recall ever seeing CISB, they just tend to say sealed in that case.
    Id hope its complete in there if the things been sealed this whole time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro View Post
    I agree, complete has always meant the game, box/case, and manual. Why we have to now state Complete In Box seems stupid to me as well.
    But is a game complete if it doesn't contain the product ads or registration cards that may have come with it?