Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Some insight into the VGA

  1. #1
    Banned

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    290
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

    Default Some insight into the VGA

    I found a video about the VGA and thought I'd share.


    The guy makes some good points about the VGA.


    Since paying attention to them I can give one example from what I saw. I won't name this particular game as I don't think it will be beneficial to me as I don't want to mess with the volatility of its value. But I purchased a game about six months ago for $65 of course factory sealed as I'm using it as a VGA example. Anyway I would estimate the grade it would get would be a 7-9 which I know is a huge and major difference in grade and value. I semi pay attention to comics and the CGC and even precious metals coins so I get the grading process.

    Anway that same game I payed $65 for was on ebay VGA graded I think between a 8.5-9.5 I really can't remember as it's gone now and you can't see anything about it anymore but I know it was there. Anyway the price they were asking (don't know if it sold) $8.xx.xx WTF

    Now I totally understand a grading process specially with other mediums but between there only being one company doing it in video games there doesn't appear to be any kind of a general standard. Just what they make up. The day they make grades available for public access I will consider using them.
    Last edited by needler420; 03-30-2013 at 08:36 AM.

  2. #2
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,248
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    So you think the VGA is a good thing because you saw someone list a graded game on ebay at a ridiculous price?

    I'd be more concerned with the fact that VGA is fraudulent, and will literally grade anything if you pay them enough.

  3. #3
    Pac-Man (Level 10) theclaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,217
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

    Default

    Since when do they rate used games? A limited unsealed category makes sense, not all games release with seals.

    And yeah. It's not the fault of VGA when third party resellers choose to ask high prices. We should blame those responsible when that happens.
    Lum fan.

  4. #4
    loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    593
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    is all this VGA overpricing stuff starting to remind anyone else a bit of the south park episode where the QVC Shopping Network tricks gullible old people into buying expensive (yet worth FAR less than paid) jewlery? Not that the games have no value, they DO have value, but not AS much as people try to market them having in a plastic tomb.

    In such a situation, though, it is the seller's fault for asking so goddamn much and bloating the market when somebody actually does buy one.
    Last edited by recorderdude; 03-30-2013 at 01:30 PM.

  5. #5
    drowning in medals Ed Oscuro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    16,556
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    I'd be more concerned with the fact that VGA is fraudulent, and will literally grade anything if you pay them enough.
    Is there evidence this is actually true?

    The reason I dislike the VGA is that there's nothing to prevent them from doing this. There's no obviously industry-wide and accepted mandate for them to go and set prices and grading practices for everybody else. There are many other little problems but they mainly stem from the fact that nobody recognizes these nobodies.

  6. #6
    Key (Level 9) wiggyx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,844
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    It is not true. They will not "grade anything if you pay them enough". I have a friend who sometimes resells and has had many sealed games rejected by the VGA and they tend to not even give an explanation (yet still charge a fee).
    Last edited by wiggyx; 03-31-2013 at 08:28 AM.

  7. #7
    Peach (Level 3)
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    742
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    8
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    It is not true. They will not "grade anything if you pay them enough". I have a friend who sometimes resells and has had many sealed games rejected by the VGA and they tend to not even give an explanation (yet still charge a fee).
    Even better. And yet they had no problem grading a disassembled NWC gold cart.

  8. #8
    Key (Level 9) wiggyx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,844
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Yup, and more recently a beat to shit JP Punch Out cart.

    It's like they have rules until something really rare shows up, then they're all like "Woo-hoo, this is too cool not to slap a grade on, even though our rules forbid it!"


    Yet my friend has been rejected on 3 SNES games that are legitimately sealed. Fuck that noise.

  9. #9
    Cherry (Level 1) Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Montreal, QC.
    Posts
    335
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Reading this thread, I cannot help but make comparisons between the VGA and the MPAA.

    They don't tell you how they grade.
    They don't tell you why they will reject your product.

    Can't say I see more positive than negative in both organization.

  10. #10
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,248
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    It is not true. They will not "grade anything if you pay them enough". I have a friend who sometimes resells and has had many sealed games rejected by the VGA and they tend to not even give an explanation (yet still charge a fee).
    Sure they will, you're just not paying them enough.

    Now they're "authenticating" prototype carts without even bothering to contact the companies who made them. I'm just waiting for someone to point out that they're authenticating stolen property.

    Now, i also contend that they have no actual knowledge of their subject area. They're grading shrinkwrap, so how much do they know about it? Can they tell the difference between a shanklin and a Heino-Illsman?

    I worked at a company that shrinkwrapped video games, and these guys are not experts. When they hire actual experts, the service may be worth a damn. Until then, they're just taking your money.

    But really, it's your shit. If you want to pay someone to tell you your plastic ain't got holes, have at it.
    Last edited by ProgrammingAce; 03-31-2013 at 06:15 PM.

  11. #11
    FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    bb_hood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    2,091
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    46
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    23
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post

    Now, i also contend that they have no actual knowledge of their subject area. They're grading shrinkwrap, so how much do they know about it? Can they tell the difference between a shanklin and a Heino-Illsman?
    Thats the thing, though. You send a sealed game in, all they really do is grade the condition of the shrink wrap and the box. I think thats what people fail to see when they see the sealed Mario 3 go for 200$, then the sealed one goes for 1000$. The sealed one was authenticated, and the condition of the box & seal was graded. That mario 3 that sold for 200$ might (and probably does) have minor (or major) imperfections in the seal. You have no way of knowing even if the seller does a great job describing it. I think finding a sealed NES game with absolute perfect seal is alot harder than many might think, and I also think alot of games sent in dont make the near mint/mint mark.

    I think if people want to collect VGA items or sealed games in general i think thats fine, Im not about to criticize anyone. The reason I dont collect such items is because obsessing over the condition of plastic wrap and cardboard boxes made 20+ years ago is not fun.

  12. #12
    Key (Level 9) wiggyx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,844
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    Sure they will, you're just not paying them enough.

    Now they're "authenticating" prototype carts without even bothering to contact the companies who made them. I'm just waiting for someone to point out that they're authenticating stolen property.

    Now, i also contend that they have no actual knowledge of their subject area. They're grading shrinkwrap, so how much do they know about it? Can they tell the difference between a shanklin and a Heino-Illsman?

    I worked at a company that shrinkwrapped video games, and these guys are not experts. When they hire actual experts, the service may be worth a damn. Until then, they're just taking your money.

    But really, it's your shit. If you want to pay someone to tell you your plastic ain't got holes, have at it.
    Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. If not, where is this option to simply pay them more to grade anything?

  13. #13
    Pretzel (Level 4) jonebone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    871
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    People do realize you can pay $5 (or $10?) for a "Detailed Grading Report" that will list the flaws they found with your game right? Grading a game is like grading an English Paper, not a math problem. You grade the overall appearance of the game and have to assess the magnitude of the flaws. It's not as simple as crease = -1... creases can be of various shapes and sizes and in different locations. A crease through the front cover art is worse than a crease on the bottom of the box that you never see.

    You know what gets older than people listing VGA games for $xxxx.xx every week? People who complain about VGA in new threads every week.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

  14. #14
    Key (Level 9) Jimmy Yakapucci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,967
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonebone View Post
    People do realize you can pay $5 (or $10?) for a "Detailed Grading Report" that will list the flaws they found with your game right? Grading a game is like grading an English Paper, not a math problem. You grade the overall appearance of the game and have to assess the magnitude of the flaws. It's not as simple as crease = -1... creases can be of various shapes and sizes and in different locations. A crease through the front cover art is worse than a crease on the bottom of the box that you never see.

    You know what gets older than people listing VGA games for $xxxx.xx every week? People who complain about VGA in new threads every week.
    Here is one thing that I do not understand. If they are doing the detailed work of analyzing the box and wrap for your sealed game, because after all, they aren't grading the game, then they are probably keeping track of that information somewhere while making the determination. Why should it cost an extra $5 or $10 to get a copy of that information? It is not like that information isn't already there.

  15. #15
    Peach (Level 3)
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    742
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    8
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Yakapucci View Post
    Here is one thing that I do not understand. If they are doing the detailed work of analyzing the box and wrap for your sealed game, because after all, they aren't grading the game, then they are probably keeping track of that information somewhere while making the determination. Why should it cost an extra $5 or $10 to get a copy of that information? It is not like that information isn't already there.
    You beat me to it. Imagine a shop failing your car on inspection, and then asking for another $15 to tell you what failed.

  16. #16
    Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,800
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

    Default

    Someone here should start their own video game grading business to compete with VGA and put them out of business. They do not own a copyright on the trade. Someone who is a serious collector should do it so they would be considered more reputable than them.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]


  17. #17
    Bell (Level 8) 98PaceCar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1,623
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Yakapucci View Post
    Here is one thing that I do not understand. If they are doing the detailed work of analyzing the box and wrap for your sealed game, because after all, they aren't grading the game, then they are probably keeping track of that information somewhere while making the determination. Why should it cost an extra $5 or $10 to get a copy of that information? It is not like that information isn't already there.
    Because they aren't doing this to provide benefit to anybody other than themselves. Grading is a simple cash grab, nothing more. Giving it away would just cut into their profits.
    Check out www.videogameconsolelibrary.com for all of your console review needs!

  18. #18
    Key (Level 9) wiggyx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,844
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    ^^^ It's just seems absurd to ask for more money just to tell you what why they graded it as such considering it takes almost zero extra effort to do so. It's almost feels like paying extra to get a receipt for a TV that you purchased at Best Buy :/

  19. #19
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,248
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. If not, where is this option to simply pay them more to grade anything?
    You send them a message on their website saying you have a "custom order", and they'll send you a quote.

    That's how you get shit like this:
    http://thegaminghistorian.com/fail-4...00-power-cord/

    And this:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISA...d=336660432315

    For a company who "only grades sealed games", they'll grade anything else if you pay them enough. You know, you have to have a 3rd party verify that you're selling a legitimate 3rd party knockoff NES power supply.

Similar Threads

  1. Proto Insight: South Park for GBC
    By Climax Together in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-21-2005, 07:13 PM
  2. Need some insight from those who have sold broken items
    By Scavenger4 in forum Buying and Selling
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-29-2005, 04:49 PM
  3. An insight on the death of an Everquest player....
    By Starcade in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-11-2003, 04:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •