Thread: What to do about my PSP Battery?

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Default What to do about my PSP Battery?

So, problem.

I have two PSP batteries (both for the 3000 model, but the latter claimed it was all-models). And neither of them hold a charge for long. I feel like they're not holding up as long as they're supposed to. One of them is a five-hour battery, but in practice its more like two hours if I'm lucky.

And of course, we've reached the point where new PSP batteries just aren't made.

So I'm like, what now? Am I gonna be forced to play with it constantly plugged in, or is there a way to fix the battery so it holds a charge once again? I once read a guide for how to revive a dead Laptop battery--is there something similar for PSP?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    So, problem.

I have two PSP batteries (both for the 3000 model, but the latter claimed it was all-models). And neither of them hold a charge for long. I feel like they're not holding up as long as they're supposed to. One of them is a five-hour battery, but in practice its more like two hours if I'm lucky.

And of course, we've reached the point where new PSP batteries just aren't made.

So I'm like, what now? Am I gonna be forced to play with it constantly plugged in, or is there a way to fix the battery so it holds a charge once again? I once read a guide for how to revive a dead Laptop battery--is there something similar for PSP?

Thanks in advance.
    Not sure if the cells can be refurbished. If you have a batteries plus in your town I'd take it there and see what they can do. They may be able to make new cells for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

There's always 3rd party batteries. I've had quite a few over the years (for my 1000 and 3000 models). Some work great, some don't. The good thing is...they're cheap and still a much better alternative than playing a PSP plugged in. Try Amazon or eBay. Tons of options.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    There's always 3rd party batteries. I've had quite a few over the years (for my 1000 and 3000 models). Some work great, some don't. The good thing is...they're cheap and still a much better alternative than playing a PSP plugged in. Try Amazon or eBay. Tons of options.
    Been there. In fact one of the batteries I have is third-party. It looks like the only brand I can trust is Sony official and their batteries have now been price-jacked.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

This is what I was afraid of with this system. I'm thinking the best solution for me when my battery does the same will be to save up for a PSP Go, hack it with custom firmware, plug it into the wall and use my PS3 controller to play it on the TV with video out, essentially turning it into a console. Then just buy games I want and rip them using my PSP 1000 to transfer them to the Go. I generally don't like the PSP ISO rips people put online because people tend to unnecessarily cut out material such as sounds or dialogue just to make more PSP games fit on a smaller memory stick rather than just switching out 1 or 2 games at a time. I'd rather just carry more of those tiny cards around with full games on them. The PSP Go will fix storage issues in that sense.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Make sure to look at the mAh of the battery. I clicked on the site and there's the 2200 for $15 and the second one is $11, clicked to open it and check it and it was only 1200, so it'd probably only last three hours. The 2200 should last around six.

That might be the issue you're having with the one you purchased saying you're only getting two hours out of it.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Thanks! I'll be sure to look into that site.