Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disney shuts down LucasArts

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    I can dream damnit! I would kill for a proper monkey island game.
    Ron Gilbert is trying to work something out as he wants to make something else with the series, but even he's doubtful it would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Collector_Gaming View Post
    The only thing that i recall disney ever doing shady was buying out that land in florida to make disney world at such a cheap price because they thought there was no way he could do anything with it (at the time it was a complete swamp land).
    When they filmed a nature documentary about Lemmings they decided to force them off a cliff as it would be more dramatic, killing them in the process. That's where the rumour got started that Lemmings throw themselves off cliffs because they're stupid. This was back in the late 50's.

Other incidences are recorded on various websites, including several deaths that occured at their theme parks.
    http://www.anomalies-unlimited.com/Disney.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since Disney will be licensing out any future Star Wars projects(which for now means anyting mobile or social) theres still a chance they might license out games we actually care about like Star Wars: Knights of The Old Republic 3. Not that I'm holding my breath but a small miniscule chance is better than no chance at all.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

whaler on the moon Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only thing that i recall disney ever doing shady was buying out that land in florida to make disney world at such a cheap price because they thought there was no way he could do anything with it (at the time it was a complete swamp land).
    Actually it wasn't swamp land, but I digress. Enviromental issues aside Disney has never been the bastion of great business. Labor practices have had many issues throughout the years, from the animator's strike of 1941 (under Walt's watch) to child labor used to make many of Disney's fine products today.

From the creative side, there are plenty of issues with racial stereotypes and white superiority in both live and animated features from the House of Mouse, especially during the early years. Plus, one could say the horrendous princessification of young girls started at the beginning of Disney. Walt produced movie-after-movie where a ("pretty") damsel in distress is captured by an evil ("ugly") witch and needs saving from the handsome (white) princess.

I'm not trying to intentionally villify Disney, but I don't think they should be held upon a pedastal as creative gods. They were creative businessmen.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by frogofdeath View Post
    Actually it wasn't swamp land, but I digress. Enviromental issues aside Disney has never been the bastion of great business. Labor practices have had many issues throughout the years, from the animator's strike of 1941 (under Walt's watch) to child labor used to make many of Disney's fine products today.

From the creative side, there are plenty of issues with racial stereotypes and white superiority in both live and animated features from the House of Mouse, especially during the early years. Plus, one could say the horrendous princessification of young girls started at the beginning of Disney. Walt produced movie-after-movie where a ("pretty") damsel in distress is captured by an evil ("ugly") witch and needs saving from the handsome (white) princess.

I'm not trying to intentionally villify Disney, but I don't think they should be held upon a pedastal as creative gods. They were creative businessmen.
    Well I am not trying to put him up on a such pedestal but ya gotta keep in mind things have changed over the years.
    You say child labor issues in terms of making a mickey mouse toy or something

Hate to break to ya.. if you wear Nike or DC shoes. I hope you write a thank you note to the 5 year old that probably made sure the shoe string holes were lined up right on your shoes or what not and those are just giants in the industry. Theres countless companies that stooped to those lows to save a buck these days. Hell even the company I work for has done that.

In terms of the earlier years. The racial problem. Segregation was a problem back then a very big problem. Black people were constantly being called the N word. Asians being called the C word (and not chinese either). and so on and so forth. They were forced to ride on the back of the bus. Use a different bathroom. Drink from a different fountain. Forced to take up slave labor like jobs to provide for their families. As a white person growing up at that time you kinda didn't understand the bad things about it. You were raised to believe this is how it was.

Good example of what I am talking about to side track from racial problems. Smoking. In cartoons today targeted towards kids. Smoking is not used for obvious reasons. Back then we didn't know that it would be a major cause in lung cancer problems. Infact theres pictures of walt drawing out cells in younger days sitting at the drawing table smoking cigarettes. Infact he even died of lung cancer according to Wikipedia.
    We didn't know any better. Thats why Popeye smokes a pipe. Thats why most Warner bros cartoons of those times have characters smoking and even disney shorts and films. We didn't know any better.

Was it wrong? Yes I am not gonna argue against that.

But you can't slap a man on the wrist and yell "Bad" at him if he knows no other way.

Like when some of your old time army vets have a grudge against japanese people for bombing pearl harbor all those years ago. Its not the japanese as a wholes fault. They were just doing what they were told and they were led to believe that we were the spawn of satan and there was no way to really cross reference this back then.
    Last edited by Collector_Gaming; 04-04-2013 at 10:24 PM.

whaler on the moon Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Collector_Gaming, I think we have the same basic outlook towards issues already mentioned, except maybe one:
    But you can't slap a man on the wrist and yell "Bad" at him if he knows no other way.
    Yes, yes you can. If not, the "bad" never changes.

Yes you need to look at people in historical context, but making claims that a person would roll in their grave or have a stroke is a way of putting that person on a pedastal. It's a way of saying that person is better and would not make modern decisions we find questionable or wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

LucasArts Employees Hold Wake

If the last paragraph is anything to go by Disney may not be through with the layoffs. Disney Interactive could be next.
    The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "save us!"......and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Yeah, this news made me pretty sad from a nostalgia standpoint. I can't really blame Disney though. Really, what was the studio really doing recently? Not much. Besides, it doesn't mean that all those IPs are dead. It just mean Disney is saying they don't need LucasArts to develop games. I'm hoping the revive some of the IPs that LucasArts has been sitting on. I for one would love to see them bring Tim Shafer on and make another Full Throttle.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

You mean give the Full Throttle and Grim Fandango IPs to Double Fine and let him make new installments? This would be a good way for Disney to make nice with the gamers in light of closing down LA. Wouldn't hold my breath though.
    The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "save us!"......and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

The last Lucasarts game i bought was Rogue Squadron 2 on the launch day of gamecube... not a single game since then interested me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Quote Originally Posted by RARusk View Post
    You mean give the Full Throttle and Grim Fandango IPs to Double Fine and let him make new installments? This would be a good way for Disney to make nice with the gamers in light of closing down LA. Wouldn't hold my breath though.
    Yes, that would be very nice. But yes, highly unlikely too.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    For the most part, I think a few people aren't with those companies though. At least Ron Gilbert announced last month he's moving on from Double Fine so who knows what's next for him, he's only been there for about 2 years so plenty of the important people keep moving around.

To compete with their own Pirates of the Caribbean franchise....

I doubt it's going to happen.
    Pirates of the Caribbean: The Secret of Monkey Island

The marketing practically writes itself!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    The last Lucasarts game i bought was Rogue Squadron 2 on the launch day of gamecube... not a single game since then interested me
    All of the Rogue Squadron games were developed by Factor 5, not LucasArts.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I haven't enjoyed a fully LucasArts game since they were developed by Laurence Holland.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

http://starwars.com/news/electronic-...rs-gaming.html

Industry leaders and creators of best-in-class blockbuster games, the development and publishing teams at EA will collaborate with the creative teams at Lucasfilm to provide audiences with all-new gaming experiences set in the ever-expanding Star Wars galaxy. As part of the agreement, EA studio teams DICE (Battlefield series) and Visceral (Dead Space series) will join BioWare (Mass Effect series, Star Wars: The Old Republic) in the development of new Star Wars games.
    Electronic Arts replaces LucasArts. Casual mobile gaming will remain "in house" with Disney. No mention of Indiana Jones though.
    Last edited by Greg2600; 05-06-2013 at 05:25 PM.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

"I've got a bad feeling about this....."

Considering all of the hate gamers have towards EA this would not be a good way to "play nice" with them. However, we don't know what Disney will do in regards to the remaining non-SW/IJ IPs so hope is not entirely lost (at least not yet anyway).