Thread: 3rd party SNES controllers on Ebay - any of these decent ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default 3rd party SNES controllers on Ebay - any of these decent ?

Has anybody ordered any of the cheapo knockoff SNES controllers on Ebay that go for about $5 or $6 per controller if you order two or more ?

Do these controllers suck ? Are they basically 95 percent as good as the real thing ? Or do they just feel slightly off, and it's just not the same thing ? It seems that authentic Nintendo made SNES controllers are about $15 or more each, used. These knockoffs are about 1/3rd the price brand new.

Do you guys think the Knockoffs are good enough ? I'd hate to pay triple the price and "hope" that I actually get a used SNES controller in good shape.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

I used knockoffs and they really just feel cheap and crappy. I bit the bullet and got two really nice official controllers for about $30 and they have been outstanding in performance compared to my friend's 3rd party controllers. He noticed such a difference when playing my controllers that he decided to get first party controllers too
    I am known as Theretrogamer12345 on Youtube and Sega-16. I am known as Gunstar Hero on Digital Press. My eBay account is Theretrogamer

[YouTube Link] [eBay Link] [Digital Press Link] [Sega-16 Link]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^^^ 2nd.

Bite the bullet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The newer SNES controllers for sale are cheaper plastic and will break easier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Same as everyone so far, tried a few 3rd party controller for the SNES, none of them got it right so far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Don't be fooled. Do not buy. The knock off controllers that are made to fool retro gamers are often on the same level as typical Famiclone controllers.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only standard controller clone that feels genuinely good is the interact superpad (INTERACT, NOT PERFORMANCE), but seeing as those are all old anyway you might as well get a real one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Damn... I was afraid this was the case.

See, I have maybe 3 original, authentic SNES controllers. I'd like to keep two of them with the one SNES that I'm keeping. I have about five extra SNES systems that I want to sell off (eventually), and I figured that I would just track down a controller to include with each of them, but if I have to spend $15, just so I can sell my SNES, not sure if that's worth it. I wonder if I would be better off just selling the SNES systems sans controller?

Would I be guaranteed to get an extra $15 to cover the cost of buying controllers ?

If I include a cheapo $5 controller with it, yeah, I'm not really doing the guy that's buying it any favors, but at the same time, I know I'd recover that $5 investment back.

The other concern is buying used SNES controllers for $15, and while they might be authentic, you can still get some that will have issues here and there. Like I was saying before, I have 3 SNES controllers right now, and I think one of them isn't 100 percent ideal. It still works fine, but doesn't feel quite as good as the other two. Who's to say the ones I get from Ebay won't be like that ?

I'll have to try to buy them locally somewhere so I can test them out and make sure they are legit.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Aren't official controllers somewhat easy to find locally? I used to pick them up for less than $5 each whenever I found them, I didn't know they're going for $15 each or I would have kept picking them up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My suggestion is to hit charity thrifts early and often.

I have picked up many SNES controllers for $2-$4 a piece over the years. Take them apart and use isopropyl alcohol to clean all the buttons and carbon contacts, and they are normally good as new. Once or twice, I have had to repair broken wires in the cord, but nothing too difficult.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since you're in need of a handful, why not check for lots on eBay? I JUST picked up a lot for a buck that included 2 Ascii pads, which may as well be original controllers, plus a handful of other random name brand and generic aftermarket controllers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I used to hit the thrifts and flea market back in the days, but it seems that collecting has gone way too mainstream now, and there are just too many people looking for the same shit. At least in my neck of the woods. Either that, or Ebay resellers.

I could try checking out a few thrifts here and there to see if I get lucky.