Thread: Anyone remember the Blade Runner game made by Westwood?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    OlieTheGoalie1
    Steam
    Vrikkgwj

Default Anyone remember the Blade Runner game made by Westwood?

For some reason this game, while great, never got a lot of attention. I found out about it only about 6 years ago, which sort of confuses me since Command & Conquer was the first PC game I ever bought with my measly $5/week allowance, so surely I would have seen an ad for the Blade Runner game in the instruction manuals.

I remember some part with a rat in a sewer, and the fact that I got stuck on it for about a year.

Finally beat the game last year though. Real good.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

My best friend IRL actually owned this game. I watched him play it once but wasn't particularly interested sadly.

If I see it somewhere I may pick it up, just because.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

From what I hear, it seems to be a very well-regarded underdog – well-constructed and with a clever relationship to the movie, but also very open-ended and nonlinear.

I understand it is quite rare and in demand.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is one of my all time favourites. I actually have a copy but it is a pig to get to run on Windows 7.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Painfully boring game though I guess true to the film in that regard. The music put me to sleep.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Painfully boring game though I guess true to the film in that regard. The music put me to sleep.
    you lost all credibility calling the movie boring. You know its regarded as one of the greatest movies ever, right?

By the way, the game while isnt very common, isnt rare, nor is it expensive. Any PC adventure, cyberpunk or fan of the movie should check it out. I hope it hits GOG soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Surely you jest sir?

With its detailed graphics (for the time), enjoyable mini-games, excellent voice acting and plot, soaring music, random events and multiple endings it is one of the best point and clickers out there!

Quote Originally Posted by postulio View Post
    I hope it hits GOG soon.
    I would absolutely love it to but who the hell knows who owns the rights to what.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    I would absolutely love it to but who the hell knows who owns the rights to what.
    I would guess it would be EA, they purchased Westwood some time ago. But you're right, who knows what provisions are attached to it since its a movie property. (although interestingly enough it doesnt use any of the characters from the film, its almost as if the game was built based on the book, but only carries the movie's title for greater exposure and marketing)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would guess it would be EA, they purchased Westwood some time ago. But you're right, who knows what provisions are attached to it since its a movie property. (although interestingly enough it doesnt use any of the characters from the film, its almost as if the game was built based on the book, but only carries the movie's title for greater exposure and marketing)
    I'm basing this rights issue entirely on an article I read ages an ages ago which put Blade Runner in the same basket as System Shock 2 and Goldeneye 64. Still, SS2 has made it out, so we live in hope!

Saying that, if I could just get it to work n Win 7 without spending hours mucking about I would be happy.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    I'm basing this rights issue entirely on an article I read ages an ages ago which put Blade Runner in the same basket as System Shock 2 and Goldeneye 64. Still, SS2 has made it out, so we live in hope!

Saying that, if I could just get it to work n Win 7 without spending hours mucking about I would be happy.
    I understand Goldeneye (although a new Goldeneye eventually did come out, did EA repurchase rights to that or what?, would love to read that article too), but what was the deal with System Shock 2? Isn't it just another old PC game? Didnt know there was some licensing issues behind that game.

As for getting stuff to work, my best advice would be to run vmware. It isnt too hard to figure out how to set up and there are tons of guides online. Just set up a virtual PC with whatever specs you want and install DOS and Win98SE on it (or whatever the game you wanna play requires) and you should be golden. Good luck!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I understand Goldeneye (although a new Goldeneye eventually did come out, did EA repurchase rights to that or what?, would love to read that article too)
    It was probably some new, complex, bespoke licensing contact, considering they replaced Brosnan with Craig and everything.

but what was the deal with System Shock 2? Isn't it just another old PC game? Didnt know there was some licensing issues behind that game.
    http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/pos...-system-shock/

As for getting stuff to work, my best advice would be to run vmware. It isnt too hard to figure out how to set up and there are tons of guides online. Just set up a virtual PC with whatever specs you want and install DOS and Win98SE on it (or whatever the game you wanna play requires) and you should be golden. Good luck!
    VMware only supports Direct3D in virtual machines running Windows XP or later. Lately the best solution for games requiring Direct3D that cannot be run under XP has been WINE in some form or another.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)