Thread: Game Gear Pricing

Insert Coin (Level 0) segafan1989's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Game Gear Pricing

I'm looking to start buying a game gear and games. I wanted one as a kid and never got one. Is this lot a good place to start pricing wise?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv...707704743.html

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

You need to be careful with Game Gears as their capacitors dry out and darken the screen. Majesco models are safer bets. That's a little higher than I would pay unless the caps were replaced. Maybe $30 or so tops.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I paid $40 this at a local Goodwill last week...

Had to toss out the battery pack as it wouldn't hold a charge. But the screen seems pretty bright and clear.

After getting home with it I did some eBay research and found out I over paid by about 20 bucks or more. You can get a used Game Gear off eBay for like $15 bucks. And the games are absurdly cheap, so you should get more then 2 for $40.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you're going to go for a majesco GG, it'll be a bit of a challenge. You can expect to pay around 1.5-2 times the value of a normal GG for a majesco one, but you'll have to hunt for it. I find the best way to discover Majesco GGs with sellers that aren't aware of price bloating is to search "Game Gear Black" on ebay and look over all the consoles until you find one with a black (NOT dark grey) body. I've found a few Majesco GG deals for other people on here that way.

I reccomend starting a game gear collection with this setup:

GameGear/Majesco GG ($15-30)
    AC ADAPTER FOR GENESIS 2/GG ($5-10)
    Sonic The Hedgehog ($5-7)
    Sonic 2 ($3-4)
    Sonic Chaos ($3-5)
    Sonic Triple Trouble ($5-7)
    Psychic World ($4-6)
    GG Shinobi ($5-10) and/or GG Shinobi II ($5/10)

This will give you all of the standard, non-rare/pricy sonic platformers on the GG, and a few other good action titles to get you started. If RPGs are your thing, go for Ax Battler and Defenders of Oasis in place of the action titles, or pick up super columns and popils if you're a puzzle guy, but one does not simply own no sonic titles for a classic SEGA system...unless you've got an SG-1000 .
    Last edited by recorderdude; 04-09-2013 at 11:38 AM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by segafan1989 View Post
    I'm looking to start buying a game gear and games. I wanted one as a kid and never got one. Is this lot a good place to start pricing wise?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv...707704743.html
    It's a $10 lot. Battery packs are useless now, technically as they're rechargeable batteries they need to be recycled rather that just thrown out in household garbage. The two games are worthless titles, the system probably has problems by now, and the case isn't worth all that much. The adpater is useful but it's basically a Genesis 2 adapter, the screen magnifier is useless, and while the TV tuner used to be worth something it's almost completely worthless as TV signals are all digital now.

I've passed on so much Game Gear stuff even at excellent pricing, the stuff isn't really worth much besides a few specific examples. I've found several copies of Battletoads for cheap as well, it's only complete copies that are worth a good amount. Most good games are only worth around $1-$2 loose, maybe $5 if it's something uncommon that's also in demand. Don't overpay for this stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    I paid $40 this at a local Goodwill last week...

Had to toss out the battery pack as it wouldn't hold a charge. But the screen seems pretty bright and clear.

After getting home with it I did some eBay research and found out I over paid by about 20 bucks or more. You can get a used Game Gear off eBay for like $15 bucks. And the games are absurdly cheap, so you should get more then 2 for $40.
    Dang, wish you hadn't thrown out that battery pack, I would have paid you shipping for it at least so I could try and rebuild it for my Nomad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I appreciate all the comments and suggestions, but it's hard to find game gears in Vegas so if I'm gonna buy one, it's gonna have to be online or through CL. I hardly ever see them on CL in Vegas and I'm gonna be in LA soon so I figured I'd pick this up. A friend can replace the caps for me at no charge so that's not an issue. It's more of a nostalgia thing for me. Maybe I can talk the guy down to $25 or $30. To be honest, with so many limited local options available, I'd rather just get one and move on. I don't like to wait to find a good deal because then I'm missing out on all time I could be playing one if I'd just pick one up at a decent price. By the looks of things on this site, there are a lot of people who wait and wait and wait for a deal before they buy and while there's nothing wrong with that approach, it just isn't for me. A $10 lot though? That's seems a little low.
    Last edited by segafan1989; 04-09-2013 at 03:33 PM.

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I appreciate all the comments and suggestions, but it's hard to find game gears in Vegas so if I'm gonna buy one, it's gonna have to be online or through CL. I hardly ever see them on CL in Vegas and I'm gonna be in LA soon so I figured I'd pick this up. A friend can replace the caps for me at no charge so that's not an issue. It's more of a nostalgia thing for me. Maybe I can talk the guy down to $25 or $30.
    The whole issue here is that you can buy a fully functional GG on ebay, with less hassle and effort (and gas money), for less money overall, and even get better games for it in the process. Why drive out of your way just to overpay?

Also, caps for GG do cost some money. I'd imagine your friend would at least charge you for parts, even if he didn't for labor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by recorderdude View Post
    The whole issue here is that you can buy a fully functional GG on ebay, with less hassle and effort (and gas money), for less money overall, and even get better games for it in the process. Why drive out of your way just to overpay?

Also, caps for GG do cost some money. I'd imagine your friend would at least charge you for parts, even if he didn't for labor.
    I agree with your point of view, but I'm the type of person that likes to see what I'm buying if at all possible. I don't know what to look for online and there's the whole shipping concern. If it's packed improperly, it could just get screwed in transit and then what?

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I appreciate all the comments and suggestions, but it's hard to find game gears in Vegas so if I'm gonna buy one, it's gonna have to be online or through CL. I hardly ever see them on CL in Vegas and I'm gonna be in LA soon so I figured I'd pick this up. A friend can replace the caps for me at no charge so that's not an issue. It's more of a nostalgia thing for me. Maybe I can talk the guy down to $25 or $30. To be honest, with so many limited local options available, I'd rather just get one and move on. I don't like to wait to find a good deal because then I'm missing out on all time I could be playing one if I'd just pick one up at a decent price. By the looks of things on this site, there are a lot of people who wait and wait and wait for a deal before they buy and while there's nothing wrong with that approach, it just isn't for me. A $10 lot though? That's seems a little low.
    I sold my Game Gear collection a few years back for I think $150, and it included 4 working systems with 37 games, and a few carrying cases with various accessories. One of the systems was a blue one which is a bit harder to find. Back when I was collecting for this system I picked up a few of them for around $25 with carrying case at least 5 games, one of them was Battletoads which everyone seems to make a big deal of for this system. I did get a few games in another large video game bundle several months ago with a couple broken systems, I sold some of the games for $2 each and gave away the systems for free. I saw a system with games at a yard sale last year and didn't even bother to ask about it.

You're in Vegas? Here's some ads to check out.
    http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/vgm/3696554948.html
    http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/vgm/3710281833.html

This guy is advertising a garage sale. I don't know if it's all still available but the pictures for electronics show off lots of NES and N64 games, I see several rare titles including Metal Storm.
    http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/gms/3714462958.html

Even in Los Angeles there's a few better deals. Slightly better.
    http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb...710686492.html
    http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant...728450311.html

Rare NES games for $5-$80. I'm wondering what that 6-in-1 cart is, if it's either a Caltron or Myriad then even $80 is a great deal. Even Rescue Rangers 2 is a good price, and Flintstones is listed twice so maybe it's the rare one.
    http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb...728955827.html

As long as you're comfortable with what you're paying, you can pay whatever you'd like. I still consider that Game Gear lot to be worth $10 but if you're happy paying $20-$30 then go for it. Just having a system won't be enough though, you'll need games to play and Sonic 2 on the Game Gear is pretty bad IMO.

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you want a reliable Game Gear system I've got one for sale that I'd let go for $20. It is a system with decent screen and working sound, the carrying case, power supply and three or four common carts. PM me if you're interested.

Thanks
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link