Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats the Worst and Best Controllers IYO?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Whats the Worst and Best Controllers IYO?

Ok, I got mad people were still talking about the N64 controller in the other thread, Im sorry if anyone was offended by me cursing, but I wasnt calling anyone names.

So to make it up to people, why dont we all in this thread talk about why we love certain controllers, and why we hate others. Lets also include arcade sticks and computer joysticks as well.

My favorite controller is the Saitek P990 Dual Analog controller for PC, I can use it for any console Im emulating on my desktop. Console wise Id say the PS2 dual shock controller, it took the best design ever to me with the PS1 and made it fit in my hands way better, its a little beefier than the PS1 dualshock. I have the Tekken 5 Hori arcade stick, I really love it a lot, and its a billion times better than the Shadow Blade arcade stick I got for 2 dollars, which may be the worst arcade stick ever, unless you have giants hands.

I havent used the Coleco/Intellvision/Atari Jaguar or 5200 controllers, but I have no idea what they were thinking with those things. At least with Coleco you can use a a Genesis controller because of the 2600 input it has.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by SOL BADGUY View Post
    At least with Coleco you can use a a Genesis controller because of the 2600 input it has.
    Only with some coleco games does this work, unfortunately it will not work with Mr. Do, my favorite. The stock coleco controllers are horrible, Ive always had to resort to using a super action controller.

As far as my favorite controller I have a madcatz street fighter ps3 fight stick (the cheap one) that I picked up on CL new for 40$. I replaced the buttons and joystick with sanwa parts and its way more responsive. I really want to get the chun-li tournament edition fightstick to replace this one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Worst: N64, Gamecube
    Best: Playstation Dualshock

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Best: Joystick
    Worst: Joypad (Japanese crap)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ace_McCannon

Best: I'd have to go with SNES, PS2 and Gamecube

Worst: The huge original Xbox controller. Also I have to admit I'm not crazy about the Dreamcast controller. The cord coming out the bottom always bothered me for some reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The "worst" controllers are probably third-party controllers or controllers for really ancient systems which I don't have any familiarity with. The n64 controller is nowhere near as bad as some of these (especially if you hold it as intended, I'm sure).

I don't really like the control nub from the original PSP, if that counts, but I managed to play The 3rd Birthday for days with it all the same.

Favorites are the current-style Xbox and PlayStation controllers, as well as the NES Advantage (could have better parts but it's still swell) and Hori joysticks (i.e. SFC Fighting Stick Pro and probably the modern multiformat arcade sticks). I don't mind the SNES or Genesis controllers either, nor was the original "Duke" Xbox controller any problem for me - but if memory serves it had a seam gap running down the sides from the two shells fitting together, a rather bumpy surface, and most importantly I think the triggers / sticks started out rather too stiff, maybe. Still it felt like a quantum leap back when it was released. I also highly respected what the GameCube did with that type of controller, although it still essentially doomed GC titles to remaining one-joystick games, instead of being designed around two equal sticks. Still got some good game designs out of it, though, like Resident Evil 4.
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 04-09-2013 at 04:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Favorite - My favorite controllers are the Nintendo 64 controller, the Saturn 3D Controller, and for digital-only controllers, the Genesis 6-button controller (the original Sega one with Mode as a right shoulder button, not the Majesco thing). The 6-button Genesis controller is such a fantastic design, really just about perfect... but otherwise I do seem to like large controllers, like those other two, or other controllers I do like, though certainly not enough to be in my top 3 there, like the original-style (large) Xbox controller (I like it a lot more than the S), or the Dreamcast controller.

My favorite PC gamepads would be the original Microsoft Sidewinder Gamepad (very good controller!) and the Saitek P990, which is pretty good apart from the somewhat annoying square bounds in the joystick wells, and that it has shoulder buttons instead of triggers. Other than that though, it's good.

As for my least favorite, for comfort I'd probably say that the worst controllers that I have used are pretty much anything designed for the Sega Master System. Yeah, that system's saving grace is that you can play almost all games with Genesis controllers, which is what I do.

In terms of impact on the industry, though, any of Sony's controllers are certainly the worst. Sure, they're well built, but I hate their layouts, from the four face button design to the dpad-above-analog layout on the left side to that awful missing-center d-pad, and I still kind of dislike two shoulder buttons on each side of a controller, too... I've gotten used to it, but don't really like it. I've got nothing good to say about what Sony controllers have done to this industry, considering that everyone copied far too many of their ideas. And yes, they are poor controllers overall; if not for the SMS pads, any Playstation controllers would easily have won "worst console gamepads I have used".
    Last edited by A Black Falcon; 04-09-2013 at 06:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

BEST: N64, Gamecube - Both just fit the hand so perfectly.
    WORST: Playstation Dualshock - Stick is in an awkward place, the sticks don't have enough push back to feel natural, and the control pad is inferior to Nintendo.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Best: SNES, NES Dogbone- Both fit well in my hands and I don't have to reach for anything.

Worst: N64. I just hate the controller..it looks god awful...Nintendo could have done a much better job with it.
    My YouTube channel:
    www.youtube.com/user/bigevil20

Giganticus breathalizer Mr Mort's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All these replies and no mention of the awesomeness of the Saturn controller?
    Epic fail.
    The Japanese (late U.S.) Saturn controllers are the best there are for fighting games, among other games, no question.
    As far as non-analog controllers go, nothing is better.
    The d-pad is responsive and easy to hit all 8 directions on, the buttons are responsive, it's comfortable to hold in-hand, and they last forever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mort View Post
    All these replies and no mention of the awesomeness of the Saturn controller?
    Thought about it but I only have used the SLS released USB variant so far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Best: Xbox Duke. I love these large controllers.

Worst: Intellivision. The side mounted fire buttons are hand-cramping.

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Best Designed:

Super Nintendo Controller (Normal) - The foundation of design for *most* modern controllers, and still holds up today with excellent build quality.

Nintendo GameCube (Analog) - One of the few modern controllers to break the SNES mold entirely, the placement of each button makes them even more accessible than the four-button diamond, the GC controller is home to one of the best analog sticks made and single-handedly popularized (not created, but DEFINITELY popularized) the wireless controller as a serious alternative to a wired remote with the WaveBird model. My personal choice for any 3D game.

Worst Designed: Atari 5200 Controller - The use of the miserably popular at the time "phone" design combined with confusing button placement and infamously horrific build quality easily makes this the worst controller of all time in my opinion.
    Last edited by recorderdude; 04-10-2013 at 01:01 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Best:

Whilst it seems to have gotten a bit of flack here I do think that the Playstation layout is the best going. You can wrap your hands around it, reach all the buttons without adjusting your grip and manipulate both analog sticks whilst pressing / holding other buttons. The spacing and sizing of the buttons seems logical to me with no one button oversized. R2 and L2 are a little wider to help you hit them, but not absurdly so. The sticks move nicely and seem to last forever. The D-Pad isn't the best, but I barley every use it. It is servicable.

Worst:

Whilst I didn't like the Intellivision controller much, the Game.Com just pips it. Horrible D-Pad and buttons with a delightfully cheap plastic feel.

It is no secret that I don't like the Gamecube pad, but at least it has got two analog sticks (although that "C" one doesn't really do it for me.) It is also quite a pleasing shade of purple and is very good for games that require you to hammer the "A" button.

WTF were they thinking?:

Sony released the dual analog controller in 1997 and had been talking about it through 1996. The Dreamcast turned up end of '98 in Japan and mid '99 elsewhere. It has one analog stick. One. One stick is not enough for 3D games. I can just about forgive Sega, but Sony not putting two "nubs" on the PSP (their flagship 3D handheld) in 2009 is mental.

The Jaguar controller actually makes a certain sort of sense to me. It's not good, mind.
    Last edited by Daltone; 04-10-2013 at 08:02 AM.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Just recently, I bought a pair of six-button Performance controllers for my Sega Genesis. These are called something like superpad six or propad 6 or something, and they looked like this.

This, honest to goodness, is the best controller I've ever used on the Sega Genesis. The buttons are firm, the directions are solid, and its actually comfortable in my hand, unlike the official six-button controller which is just too frakking small. These have now become my go-to Genny controllers.

For other systems, I'm usually fine with the default controllers. Although I'm thinking about getting a third-party for the PS2... preferably a really durable one, like something that could stand up to an intense DMC3 beating.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For shits and giggles I just got one of these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3106357035...84.m1497.l2649

I bet it'll be pants, but it'll help give that classic gaming feel to emulation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm seeing a good bit of well deserved love for the SNES controller on this thread. My complaint about it is that the dpad has become mushy on 80% of my SNES controllers, yet the vast majority of my NES controllers still have a relatively crisp dpad. Anyone else have this problem?

I'll save questions concerning SNES shoulders buttons and Street Fighter II for another day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

BEST: NES Dogbone and PS2 are my all-time favorites controllers. Both of them feel great in my hands. When I play with them, I kinda forget they are even there since they both just meld with me.

Worst: The WiiU touchpad controller gave my hand a cramp the other day at Wal-Mart, so I'm gonna have to go with that for worst controller since its fresh in my mind.
    Last edited by treismac; 04-10-2013 at 08:22 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Best - Playstation for PS2 and back. It's also my go-to controller for emulation on the PC. However, I prefer the 360 controller for FPS this gen.

Other favorites are the Saturn (2nd model) and the Wii Classic Controller.

Worst - N64. I actually never use the controller unless I have to, I bought a hori controller.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Worst: INTV
    Best: Genesis
    VectorGamer.com
    YouTube: TheRetrocade
    @RealVectorGamer