Thread: Project Unity - finished - presentation the system

Retro game console modder bacteria's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Project Unity - finished - presentation the system

Here is the video link, enabling viewing the video in larger screen mode. The screen adjusts to your screen monitor, "F11" to full-screen if you prefer.

http://www.made-by-bacteria.com/unity.html

The presentation covers the system in a fair bit of detail and also provides a demonstration of the system working.

I hope you enjoy the video!

Summary:

* The most comprehensive retro video gaming console system made
    * 15 unique original gaming consoles, playing 18 formats in total
    * No emulation or clone hardware, all original boards
    * One power supply for all systems
    * One SCART cable for all systems for audio and visual
    * One Master Controller to work all the proprietary console systems
    * 3 years to make
    * Approximately 3,500 hours to build
    * Approximately 300 metres of cabling
    * Approximately 20 kg
    * Costed around £700 in parts, boards, controllers, wiring, etc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Way cool, but I still can't get over that controller. You talk about the "experience" of playing retro games, a big part of which is using the original controllers in my opinion, but are stuck with one controller that doesn't match ANY retro console. I understand why you made it the way you did, but it seems to defeat some of what makes playing retro games great.

That said, it's amazing to see it completed and working. I couldn't even wish to tackle about 90% of what you did in that box.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think you might have posted that on the video; in which case my reply was:

A controller is just an interface for a console system. Some original game controllers are really badly designed, the worst example is Colecovision, hard to hold the controller properly and the d-pad is the worst i've ever used. Original consoles have a variety of controller options too including 3rd party ones (eg many versions for N64 for example).

So, I see your point but a controller is an interface only; and also this one has been custom made to work great with my hands, so ideal.

So for example, i'm not a fan of the original N64 controller as it isn't good to hold; however the SuperPlus N64 controller is lovely to hold; it is still an N64 controller but makes playing the games nicer. There is never any inference from anyone that you only get a quality game from using the original controller; in fact there are probably about 20 different N64 3rd party controllers out there.

Also, some original controllers are badly designed (Colecovision the worst, has a lot of play on the d-pad and then uses metal strips to click and not tact switches), Intellivision which makes your thumb go black from using the contoller, and also cramped hands from using the controller; etc.

I didn't want loads of spaghetti wires of controllers in a box, and also wanted a controller that felt natural in my hands; so I made one - a 3rd party controller if you like!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Amazing work. I can't imagine the number of hours that went into that.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That is beyond amazing. The skill and time is mind-blowing!
    Well done, my hat is off to you, sir!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bacteria View Post
    I think you might have posted that on the video; in which case my reply was:

A controller is just an interface for a console system. Some original game controllers are really badly designed, the worst example is Colecovision, hard to hold the controller properly and the d-pad is the worst i've ever used. Original consoles have a variety of controller options too including 3rd party ones (eg many versions for N64 for example).

So, I see your point but a controller is an interface only; and also this one has been custom made to work great with my hands, so ideal.

So for example, i'm not a fan of the original N64 controller as it isn't good to hold; however the SuperPlus N64 controller is lovely to hold; it is still an N64 controller but makes playing the games nicer. There is never any inference from anyone that you only get a quality game from using the original controller; in fact there are probably about 20 different N64 3rd party controllers out there.

Also, some original controllers are badly designed (Colecovision the worst, has a lot of play on the d-pad and then uses metal strips to click and not tact switches), Intellivision which makes your thumb go black from using the contoller, and also cramped hands from using the controller; etc.

I didn't want loads of spaghetti wires of controllers in a box, and also wanted a controller that felt natural in my hands; so I made one - a 3rd party controller if you like!

Well, aside from the Hori pad, every 3rd party N64 controller I've ever touched was rubbish, so I personally wouldn't use them as a measuring stick.

I am aware that a LOT of folks don't like the OEM design though. You're definitely not alone on that one

Like I said, I definitely get why you did it the way you did, and I'm happy to hear that it does indeed work well for your needs. Would have been a bummer to spend all that time only to end up with a controller that you don't like. And obviously this creation is for your own use, so all that matters is that the design works for you!

Now it just needs a sleek facade to blend in with your entertainment center

What's your next project going to be, or does this mark retirement for you? Sorta hard to follow this one up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Wow amazing stuff! You are a god among nerds I agree with wiggy that an original controller just cant be beat, I hate playing 6 button genny games on a ps2 style lay out, etc. The master controller you built is very impressive, but it does look a bit uncomfortable and a little weird with the 2 button L1 R1. I think this set up would be amazing in an arcade cabinet with a good crt arcade screen, but for home use I would still prefer actual hardware with a switcher, part of the fun for me is displaying those amazing looking consoles and people that visit me asking WTF is that console?! when they see an x eye or a turbo duo hooked up to the tv next to the ps3/360!! Anyway kudos to you sir for an awesome set up!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Pretty impressive. Although I always cringe whenever I hear anybody referring to the Nintendo Entertainment System as "ness" rather than "en-ee-ess". And I'm guessing you had the Amstrad GX-4000 from back in the day and have lots of nostalgia for it, for its inclusion in the project. And speaking of consoles that support light guns, are you planning on making some kind of unified version that'll work on an LCD screen? That's going to be a tough one.

When I read "Project Unity", I thought for a second that Jeff Minter finally finished the Unity game for the GameCube.
    Last edited by Steve W; 04-14-2013 at 12:29 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Got all the links up to date, only space for a couple more if there are any more that is to add. Spent a few hours getting this Unity page finished and made as pretty as can.

If you don't see the page like this in your browser, please go to www.made-by-bacteria.com and press "F5" to refresh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Amazing job man, been watching this project for a while awesome to see it come together!

How are the consoles switching scart output out of curiosity?

Quote Originally Posted by bacteria View Post
    Got all the links up to date, only space for a couple more if there are any more that is to add. Spent a few hours getting this Unity page finished and made as pretty as can.

If you don't see the page like this in your browser, please go to www.made-by-bacteria.com and press "F5" to refresh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have connected all the video and audio lines to the SCART, one of the connections if applied a voltage sets SCART to RGB mode, or if it's connected to ground then it is in composite mode. That way I could set each system automatically.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

That controller setup is outrageous. The cart inputs, amazing.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    The cart inputs, amazing.
    This was pretty much the first thing that I thought.

I would love to see a wiring diagram for the whole project! It is impressive that you have kept track of it all.

How is it ventilated? Are the hottest consoles laid out by the fans (?) or is overheating not a problem? (Apologies if you explain in the video - watching it in work without sound!)
    Last edited by Daltone; 04-17-2013 at 10:32 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Consoles with hot chips (GameCube, DreamCast, PS2, N64) have their own fans and heatsinks in the system. At the front of the case is a strong air extractor fan, and at the back, two PC fans to move the air around the casing. Pretty much the level of heat displacement in a PC, which gets a lot hotter than this system could ever remotely get.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Very impressive work... but with only one controller you'd have no way of playing multiplayer at all, right? And one memory card each for the PS1, PS2, N64, Gamecube, and Dreamcast is a pretty huge limitation; you'd either need a small collection or a willingness to never keep save files for that to be enough. (And no Sega CD, 32X, or Turbo CD, but there's a Neo-Geo in there? Huh.). Otherwise though, very cool... though that controller doesn't look quite as comfortable as the real ones, particularly for the N64 (keypad for C-buttons? Ouch...).

So yeah, some definite limitations there, but definitely an interesting idea, and it's impressive that it works.