Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Earthbound coming to US Virtual Console in 2013

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Default Earthbound coming to US Virtual Console in 2013

http://kotaku.com/holy-crap-earthbou...ium=Socialflow

I'll be interested to see how this affects the price of the used physical cart.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    kamakazi5
    PSN
    soal
    Steam
    kamakazi55

Hopefully it will come down to a semi reasonable price now although I won't count on it. I doubt I'll pick it up on VC even if the price doesn't come down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Beautiful! I hope this puts some sanity back into the Earthbound cart price. It's not rare, it's uncommon but not straight common and the $200 it hits is disgusting. Having this not only hit the NTSC market(USA,etc) but also Europe hopefully it will have that rippling effect that cripples the price of the game. FF7 had this same sorry behavior go up until the PSN release hit for $10 and the game CIB and pretty going pretty high went to a tough sell at like $20-30 if I remember right, it cratered!

I'm happy everyone will get a crack at this who wants it now without being raped by greedy resellers who have repeatedly slammed the price even higher feeding off the mighty hype engine it has. Directly it won't affect me as I own the cart, but it would be nice to see cart only costs come down hard for those who don't though I imagine the box and big book guide manual probably will stay up as less of those exist than carts and a digital copy won't get you that either.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man, thats really awesome, I guess they had to see the virtual comments all over Miiverse to finally get it through their thick skulls to rerelease it.

I hope the price of the SNES version goes way down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is this only for the Wii U or will the Wii VC get it too?
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Is this only for the Wii U or will the Wii VC get it too?
    Wii U, possibly 3DS at Nintendo's discretion.

Wii VC is done I believe.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

The best part of this is that all the dumb gamers who claimed that it was legally impossible for Nintendo to ever re-release Earthbound in the US in any form can finally eat crow.

Well, okay, no, the best part would be if the price of the SNES cart finally drops down, but still. :P

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks like this year may be a good time for me to pick up a cart version of this game. I wonder how fast the news will spread and if the prices will reflect that.
    High Voltage Rock 'N' Roll
    Ride On

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    The best part of this is that all the dumb gamers who claimed that it was legally impossible for Nintendo to ever re-release Earthbound in the US in any form can finally eat crow.

Well, okay, no, the best part would be if the price of the SNES cart finally drops down, but still. :P
    I don't recall anyone ever saying it was legally impossible. The argument always seemed to be over how much it would cost for Nintendo to properly license some of the things that were included in the initial release. It will be interesting to see what, if anything, gets cut or changed in the VC release.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Solo_Skywalker View Post
    Looks like this year may be a good time for me to pick up a cart version of this game. I wonder how fast the news will spread and if the prices will reflect that.
    I suspect you aren't going to see the massive price drop you are anticipating. The WiiU isn't exactly selling like hotcakes and many people, especially anyone who still has a working SNES and carts, are not too keen on digital releases. I suspect a lot of Earthbound owners are still going to hold on to their carts and simply buy the digital version as well if they have a WiiU. I know that's my plan. Certainly, if there are changes in the VC version, which there may well be, the cart will still be in demand from anyone who wants the original version.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This better be on the 3DS...

Also, I doubt the SNES version will be devalued much at all. People will still want the *original* version of a game, and that guide is pretty sweet (I've had both since 2000 when prices were much more realistic).

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I don't recall anyone ever saying it was legally impossible. The argument always seemed to be over how much it would cost for Nintendo to properly license some of the things that were included in the initial release. It will be interesting to see what, if anything, gets cut or changed in the VC release.
    I don't know about specifically on here, but there was definitely plenty of that around the 'net. And suggesting that Nintendo would have to pay a boatload on licensing rights to re-release the game is a silly argument too.

And for an unrelated observation, I'm starting to notice on the different boards that I go to that the people who don't have the game expect the value of the SNES cart to drop while those who already have it almost uniformly stand by the idea that the Wii U release won't decrease the value and may even increase demand. I love how at the end of the day it's all just wishful thinking in regards to protecting one's own interests. :P Almost no one who already has the game wants to see it lose any value.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hope the price comes way down. It's just stupid anyomre. I just sold a copy for about 250, and I've seem loose carts sell for as much as 300 on ebay in the last month, so I'm at least releived that I did so before any potential price plummet. I just can't ever seem to bring myself to hold on to a loose cart that's worth so much. But if we start seeing 200X prices again, then I may finally be able to justify putting a copy on the shelf permanently

And to anyone worried about their investment in a copy or copies of EB, welcome to the world of gambling, err, I mean investing

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't know about specifically on here, but there was definitely plenty of that around the 'net. And suggesting that Nintendo would have to pay a boatload on licensing rights to re-release the game is a silly argument too.

And for an unrelated observation, I'm starting to notice on the different boards that I go to that the people who don't have the game expect the value of the SNES cart to drop while those who already have it almost uniformly stand by the idea that the Wii U release won't decrease the value and may even increase demand. I love how at the end of the day it's all just wishful thinking in regards to protecting one's own interests. :P Almost no one who already has the game wants to see it lose any value.
    As someone that has spent much of the past decade handling licensing of entertainment properties on behalf of studios and producers, I can state unequivocally that you have no idea what Nintendo will have to spend on licensing rights to re-release the game. It could be quite a bit, it might be next to nothing. It all depends on how the original game was created and how things like music and other elements were treated. I can tell you that there are many games from the 1990s where the music was handled not as a work-for-hire, but rather as a separate licensed element and a re-release requires separate licensing and payments to the composer. Nintendo's risk tolerance for parody may have also changed over time and it's quite possible that many of the parody brands, character names and other elements will be changed in the re-release. Nobody really knows at this point.

As for your second argument, it's interesting but not particularly compelling. Many of us just own one copy of the game that we obtained for far less than MSRP and have no intention of selling, so it doesn't matter if the resale price remains high or collapses. My opinion is that it might dip slightly, but will never collapse simply because that's not generally what happens when a game is re-released digitally. There are thousands of games that have seen digital re-release over the past few years and it's not like the value of all of those nose dived. People still like to collect the originals and they like having tangible items to hold onto. A digital download on the WiiU might satisfy the appetites of those who are merely curious and want to try the game, but it won't reduce the pool of people looking for the real thing or increase the size of the pool of available copies. Frankly, the fact that many people here aren't talking about buying the digital version but are excited that they can somehow find a cheap cart copy now is evidence that nothing is really going to change. If people here were saying that they are going to buy the digital copy and no longer care about the cart version, then I would agree that you were on to something as that would be a clear sign that demand was decreasing and therefore prices should come down accordingly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

I paid 160$ on ebay auction for a sealed black label copy of castlevania sotn in 2001. Now its been released in compilations, live arcade and psn. You can buy a used black label copy for 30 to 40$ (they were over 100$ in 2001)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Earthbound prices will remain to be seen but like the others, I don't think prices on the older games generally lower that much. Maybe if it's released on 3DS, it will see a decrease in price, but I wouldn't expect it for Wii U VC. Part of that problem is that the inflation now is not simply caused by people wishing to play the game. I am almost positive that most people know about emulators and have no moral qualms. Instead, it's caused by need for the collector's item. Save maybe a few who will sell now.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I believe the prices for the original copy are going to come way down in the next couple of months. There's going to be panic selling on Ebay, once people hear the news. With so many copies being sent back into circulation, and with fewer people wanting to bid on them, it'll probably go back down to $100.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	6533  

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    As someone that has spent much of the past decade handling licensing of entertainment properties on behalf of studios and producers, I can state unequivocally that you have no idea what Nintendo will have to spend on licensing rights to re-release the game. It could be quite a bit, it might be next to nothing. It all depends on how the original game was created and how things like music and other elements were treated. I can tell you that there are many games from the 1990s where the music was handled not as a work-for-hire, but rather as a separate licensed element and a re-release requires separate licensing and payments to the composer. Nintendo's risk tolerance for parody may have also changed over time and it's quite possible that many of the parody brands, character names and other elements will be changed in the re-release. Nobody really knows at this point.

As for your second argument, it's interesting but not particularly compelling. Many of us just own one copy of the game that we obtained for far less than MSRP and have no intention of selling, so it doesn't matter if the resale price remains high or collapses. My opinion is that it might dip slightly, but will never collapse simply because that's not generally what happens when a game is re-released digitally. There are thousands of games that have seen digital re-release over the past few years and it's not like the value of all of those nose dived. People still like to collect the originals and they like having tangible items to hold onto. A digital download on the WiiU might satisfy the appetites of those who are merely curious and want to try the game, but it won't reduce the pool of people looking for the real thing or increase the size of the pool of available copies. Frankly, the fact that many people here aren't talking about buying the digital version but are excited that they can somehow find a cheap cart copy now is evidence that nothing is really going to change. If people here were saying that they are going to buy the digital copy and no longer care about the cart version, then I would agree that you were on to something as that would be a clear sign that demand was decreasing and therefore prices should come down accordingly.
    Yes, there's no way for me, or you, or anyone else to know exactly what Nintendo did, but common sense suggests that Nintendo wouldn't waste a ton of money on some minor detail that 99% of players wouldn't care, or probably even notice, if they changed. I'm not saying that there's nothing that would require licensing, but the idea that Nintendo CAN'T release the game in the US or MUST pay for licensing is dumb because there are always alternatives, namely removing or altering the problematic content. But either way, the "copyright violations" of the game have always been pure fan speculation nonsense. It's like these people have never played any other games. There are games loaded with obvious references, and if they didn't get into legal trouble, why would Nintendo get into trouble over "Oh, this song kind of sounds like this other song"? It's just stupid. I've played many games with songs that blatantly rip off mainstream music and others where the songs sound extremely similar by pure coincidence, and if those companies didn't get into trouble, why would Nintendo for even less? I mean, do you guys think Working Designs had the money to get licensing rights for every single real-world thing that they referenced? Because I bet they didn't license anything. Probably a mixture of fair use and nobody caring.

My observation was simply that, an observation, not an argument. But, c'mon, I'm sure you're aware of the fact that most collectors, even if they bought their games for real cheap and plan to never sell, like the idea of their games being valuable. As for what happens when games are re-released digitally, I can think of many instances in which prices have lowered. That doesn't necessarily mean a "nose dive", but it's still a hit to value either way. Earthbound will probably never be really cheap again, but maybe someday it'll get into the 50-100 dollar range, which I think prospective buyers could find justifiable, as opposed to the ridiculous prices as of late. Yes, there are always collectors and, yes, given that just about everyone on Digital Press is a collector, we still prefer physical releases, but if you think only collectors have being buying Earthbound, I think you're sorely mistaken. A lot of the buyers are nostalgic young adults re-buying their childhood games, or people who became obsessed with Earthbound because of Smash Bros., or people who just got sucked up into the massive hype surrounding the game online. Whatever their reasons, plenty of the buyers are people who just want to play the game and want to do so in an official manner.

Edit: There's also this article, which I just discovered: http://www.racketboy.com/retro/how-d...lectable-games
    Last edited by Aussie2B; 04-17-2013 at 06:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Pimpdaddy View Post
    I believe the prices for the original copy are going to come way down in the next couple of months. There's going to be panic selling on Ebay, once people hear the news. With so many copies being sent back into circulation, and with fewer people wanting to bid on them, it'll probably go back down to $100.
    This is the only realistic way the price would drop, but it only works if people are selling their games starting at a low price. If everyone starts their game at $150 in auction then the perceived value would still exist.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yes, there's no way for me, or you, or anyone else to know exactly what Nintendo did, but common sense suggests that Nintendo wouldn't waste a ton of money on some minor detail that 99% of players wouldn't care, or probably even notice, if they changed. I'm not saying that there's nothing that would require licensing, but the idea that Nintendo CAN'T release the game in the US or MUST pay for licensing is dumb because there are always alternatives, namely removing or altering the problematic content. But either way, the "copyright violations" of the game have always been pure fan speculation nonsense. It's like these people have never played any other games. There are games loaded with obvious references, and if they didn't get into legal trouble, why would Nintendo get into trouble over "Oh, this song kind of sounds like this other song"? It's just stupid. I've played many games with songs that blatantly rip off mainstream music and others where the songs sound extremely similar by pure coincidence, and if those companies didn't get into trouble, why would Nintendo for even less? I mean, do you guys think Working Designs had the money to get licensing rights for every single real-world thing that they referenced? Because I bet they didn't license anything. Probably a mixture of fair use and nobody caring.

My observation was simply that, an observation, not an argument. But, c'mon, I'm sure you're aware of the fact that most collectors, even if they bought their games for real cheap and plan to never sell, like the idea of their games being valuable. As for what happens when games are re-released digitally, I can think of many instances in which prices have lowered. That doesn't necessarily mean a "nose dive", but it's still a hit to value either way. Earthbound will probably never be really cheap again, but maybe someday it'll get into the 50-100 dollar range, which I think prospective buyers could find justifiable, as opposed to the ridiculous prices as of late. Yes, there are always collectors and, yes, given that just about everyone on Digital Press is a collector, we still prefer physical releases, but if you think only collectors have being buying Earthbound, I think you're sorely mistaken. A lot of the buyers are nostalgic young adults re-buying their childhood games, or people who became obsessed with Earthbound because of Smash Bros., or people who just got sucked up into the massive hype surrounding the game online. Whatever their reasons, plenty of the buyers are people who just want to play the game and want to do so in an official manner.
    I agree with you and you're right that my recollection of most of the references in Earthbound is that it would easily fall within fair use/parody among other copyright exceptions. That's not to say that if they keep the game as-is that there wouldn't be some licensing or clearance related expenses which could be significant. Indeed, if there are modifications to the game on the VC as a result of overly cautious IP attorneys at Nintendo, those differences could be enough to prompt people who would otherwise be content with the digital copy to seek out the cart version.

As for your second point, given the ease of downloading emulators and obtaining roms of this particular game, I can't imagine that a significant portion of the people buying it on cart over the past 18 years are the kind of people that will be satisfied with just a digital copy, identical to the original or not. The game has been steadily climbing in value for a long time, just as many NES and SNES games have been, including many that have previously been released on VC. It's not like a handful of collectors are sitting on a massive pile of this game. The value is tied to the supply that has been established over the past 18 years and while there might be some people who decide the digital copy is enough, I just don't agree that it will have much long-term impact either way. If anything, it might inspire people playing the game for the first time to seek out the original just as many of us have been inspired by various digital re-releases to seek out original copies of those games.