Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overpriced retro game stores... name them, avoid them!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

A local game store in my area had a bargain bin full PSX games a while back. Included in the bin were some long box games. Well, to save room they decided to throw away the long boxes and use generic CD jewel cases. However, they were generous enough to give you the manuals.........after they cut them in half so they would fit into the jewel case. I purchased a copy of Return Fire from them for a few bucks but it made me sick that they cut the manual in half and threw away the original box.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

The most absurdly overpriced retro video game store i have ever come across was in ny, on saints marks, forgot the name of the place. When I lived there i had never come across it but when I went back to visit friends i came across it and was blown away by the sheer collection of videogame awesomeness. I swear to god that place was like a museum, but their prices, GOOD GOD THE PRICES!!!

Not only was everything insanely high, like beyond triple whatever the highest listing on ebay might be but this guy will lowball the living shit out of you, I asked out of curiosity how much he would give me for my pristine copy of panzer dragoon saga for Saturn, he looked me dead in the eye and without flinching said around $45 .

This is a game that was going for around 250 at the time, closer to 400 now i think, but 45? I ont even think thats what it originally cost at retail

Tldr: stay out of a videogame store by little Italy run by some Asian guy who's business operates on black magic and not economics
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    8-bit and Up and Video Games New York both in East Village in NYC. It's stupid what beat up sports games go for there, let alone games actually worth something. Want Super Mario World? $19.99. Want Final Fantasy II? $49.99. It's ridiculous.

That's the store i was talking about, thank you! Videogames New York. Super rape prices.
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMAN.S9 View Post
    That's the store i was talking about, thank you! Videogames New York. Super rape prices.
    If you're ever back in New York, there's a little spot in Bay Ridge called Game Champ. The other ones in New York are just OK, but this one is definitely the best, and I certainly help them turn a profit.

Otherwise, it's terribad prices all over this forsaken city.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Ya gotta haggle them. Din't be afraid to wheel and deal them. The worst they can do is tell you ti
    Get out of thier store.
    The guy says he'll give you 45 for a 250 game. Go up to 200. He will probably fire back with 75. You go 150 and say thats basement. And see what his final offer is. There is world famous comic book shop near there that does the same thing. You walk in with a first appearance of superman they will offer you a grand. You gotta haggle them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

So what is this supposed to be, a fuck you to the small businesses out there?

If you don't like the prices and feel you should be paying less, don't shop there. You don't have to pay the rent, they do.

Don't be an asshole about it.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

160$ for kasumi ninja?! and im being an asshole? really? did you really check their prices, i can pay for something when I want it, AT A FAIR PRICE, I recently got pier solar for 275$. click the link i posted, you will see how awful the prices are over there. I saw someone complaining for super mario world at 19.99 and final fantasy 2 for 49.99, but thats what I would expect to pay if i wanted these games.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    No, it's a fuck you to the shitty businesses out there.

If you don't like the prices and feel you should be paying less, don't shop there. You don't have to pay the rent, they do.
    We don't. That's the point of this thread. It says "avoid them" right in the title.

So far you're the only one being an asshole in this thread.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Collector_Gaming View Post
    Well lets do a math example here

Lets start up by saying I want to start a store. Lets say I fill that store with common games lets say 500 of them... Lets say those common games go for 3 bucks a pop according to the average Ebay sale on commons... Lets also say I got all 500 of them for 1.50 each game cause ya know I want to atleast double my money. Thats 750 dollars I spent for my inventory. so that means i hope to make 750 dollars on the games. Lets say the lease on the commercial spot is a grand a month. (for some thats real cheap for some neck of the woods thats expensive so lets go nation average on a small commercial retail spot). Thats already got me in the shitter all on its own... Then add water, Electricity, and internet service which that vary's so much i'll just let your imagination play with that. Lets assume i want to hire 2 kids to come in and help with the stores operations so the store has optimal time frames of staying open and not allowing me to work my self to my death bed.
    National average in america on minimum wage is what? $7.25? which is 290 a person or 380 dollars for me to keep both people hired a week which totals out to be 1520 dollars on a 4 week month stretch. and I am not even figuring other possible expenses like advertising in the local paper or other means like that.

It all adds up in the end. high prices make up for that deficit. Sadly internet business practices have destroyed that. Because instead of having a store why not have a storage locker (unless you have house space) filled with your product.. work for yourself by yourself for maximum keep. and just sell sell sell on ebay or amazon?. All your paying for additionally to your own living expense is possible storage space.
    Any type of retail store should be able to make at least $300 a day in sales, probably it should be way more. I doubt any Gamestop location would stay open if they're only making $300 per day. If that's still not enough to cover expenses then it's not a viable business. Of course a business starting up will encounter a large amount of expenses, that should be taken care of after being open for awhile with trade-ins. It won't constantly be a slim profit margin, you have to get established first and then you make money. Starting up any kind of business will keep you in dept for awhile.

Most retail businesses have a slimmer profit margin than that of used merchandise and they make enough money, they don't make more than 200% profit on merchandise like used retailers do. Most profit margins are less than 5% and stores rely on high volume to be successful.
    http://smallbusiness.chron.com/good-...gin-14123.html

Quote Originally Posted by Collector_Gaming View Post
    Ya gotta haggle them. Din't be afraid to wheel and deal them. The worst they can do is tell you ti
    Get out of thier store.
    The guy says he'll give you 45 for a 250 game. Go up to 200. He will probably fire back with 75. You go 150 and say thats basement. And see what his final offer is. There is world famous comic book shop near there that does the same thing. You walk in with a first appearance of superman they will offer you a grand. You gotta haggle them
    That doesn't usually work. I couldn't get a game store to give me $25 cash for a complete copy of NES Action 52, another one wouldn't buy it at all because they "don't accept bootlegs". I don't usually bother bringing stuff to stores for trade-ins anymore, they're usually picky with what they'll buy and even then they don't offer much so it's not convenient anymore. The whole reason to just bring stuff to a store is for convenience, to get slightly less for everything but being able to sell it all at once without a hassle. If stores aren't taking everything in and only paying little money for what would be easy to sell myself it's a waste of time to travel to a store. This isn't the 90's pre-internet where finding a buyer is near impossible.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

i just noticed I did my math wrong some how in a very stupid way.. Oh well you get the point..

Anyways If they don't want to haggle then move on in life and find the next store. I mean they are gonna have to adapt to changing times with people wanting to haggle to get the best deals (thanks to all these pawn shop and auction and hunter this and that shows out there. so now people think they can haggle anyone down.)

Gamestop is only in business because it has investors. If those investors didn't even exist. I think gamestop would have gone with the wind a long time ago. Thats why they are still holding on despite being on shaky grounds fighting off online retail.. and other companies doing the exact same business techniques as them such as FYE and Best Buy. Once those reserves are gone Gamestop will be forced to close their doors. Sad but true. and according to their make a majority of their profits off used games model and with the possibility of online gaming for both PC and Console being more dominant in the near future (we know its gonna happen no matter what... its just a waiting game right now to see who pulls the trigger first on the console end) its gonna happen sooner then later.
    Last edited by Collector_Gaming; 04-19-2013 at 06:55 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    Look up a few posts.
    Heh, that was a case of posting first and reading the responses later. Fully agree with your comments on those stores nonetheless!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post

I'm a strong believer of a business owner being able to reap rewards and experience defeat. If these people can keep their business open with these prices then I have no problem with that. However, I would like to know which stores are gouging people before wasting my time.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't think this topic should be turned into a debate, make another thread for complaining about it. I'd also suggest to the topic starter to take the store names and put them in the first post as an easy to read log maybe with a few words on why it's one to avoid kept to one line.

I've lived between two states my life and I can only think of two places that were off their rocker with prices. One did it jsut because it was a game store second and primarily a geek shop to do card battler games and peddle food to them. As such they had prices like $80 for a FF3 cart only and like $300 on Earthbound when it was still circling around $100-120 online, I think it was called Game Rave in San Diego. The primary offender though one to definitely avoid would be Game Adx in Oceanside CA. The owner comes off as this bipolar nice guy/jerk depending if you're buying or just window shopping. There is a heap of stuff there, it's nuts when you go in, but the reason for it is the prices as about 5 years back now the greed set in and he started pricing stuff over what it legitimately could sell for on ebay, and on top of that asked premiums if the cart was more valued and in immaculate shape, extra cash for the manual, maps alone on top of that, and even charging for the dust sleeves. The 'cheap' stuff started around $10 for shit like common sports and Top Gun 1 level drek, and if you got into your usual $5-10 ebay purchases of stuff like Little Nemo or Goonies which are some solid licensee titles you're in that $20-25 range which is scummy. To make matters worse before when you traded in before the greed you could get like 25+% of value on an item or even 2 NES games traded in for 1 new too, but after the greed it was maybe 10% at best. I saw the guy scam this dude with a dufflebag of N64 stuff for like $40. There was a system, Conkers BFD, The New Tetris, DK64, Mario Kart and 64, Starfox, Kirby, and some other $5-8 area commons, and the system had a few spare controllers and I think the 4MB ram expansion. As he left, a sticker went on Conker for $60 (this was back when it was an average of $40 on ebay.) Never go there unless you like feeling raped.

In turn though in KY/IN there's a nice chain of shops called Book and Music and they carry game stuff and they price stuff flat on a lot of it like $6 or 2 for $10 on common nes, snes, n64, gba, gc stuff (same on other makers titles too.) The rest of their items are priced somewhat by ebay, but it's usually around 10-20% cheaper (not figuring shipping on ebays end, just the base auction you pay price.) They also give like 20% or so on trade in, higher if it's high demand and an easy flip. They do it the right way pricing stuff up, but up to where it's still good for the community and for them so they don't just say fuck it and save time/gas and use ebay. On occasion they throw a few bones in to entice like $50 for Fire Emblem GC(goes $70) or $25 for the $80~ Radiata Historia DS game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Well I found a new retro game store today, and this one is WAAAYYYY off in prices. 100$ each for former rental and beatup zelda ww, twilight princess and compilation, 150$ for mario bros 2 in average shape, 300$ for a nes in box, 60$ for a platinum hits xbox kotor2, 100$ for ps1 legend of legaia, just to name a few... all games were mostly in bad shape, dirty an full of stickers! most original xbox games were priced mostly at 20 to 30$, gamecubes 30 to 50$, and loose common nes carts 45 to 70$. Entered the store, and quickly left!