Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why doesnt Sega or Nintendo release new Nes or Genesis consoles and controllers?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Default Why doesnt Sega or Nintendo release new Nes or Genesis consoles and controllers?

Imagine a brand new genesis model or super nintendo made by sega or nintendo, with component/hdmi output, wireless bluetooth controllers, etc.
    The market is huge, when you walk in a video game store they have cheap clones like tommee, hyperkin and atgames all over the place, and they are usually in the 59.99 to 79.99 range. I wouldnt mind paying 100$ for a new official model and im sure a lot more people agree with this. It would be the best way for sega to return in the hardware business with a guaranteed success instead of licensing crappy genesis clones to atgames. And why not release a new Sonic or Mario for the next anniversaries of the franchises? Cartridges would be a lot cheaper than they were back then, memory is a lot more affordable now (you can buy a 8gb sd card for 9.99)A lot of young kids like the retro games too because they are a lot easier for their smaller hands and usually 2 buttons only so easier to play too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Because Sega doesn't make hardware and it's a LOT easier to make money selling ROMs via Virtual Console.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    Because Sega doesn't make hardware and it's a LOT easier to make money selling ROMs via Virtual Console.
    Regardless, this would be pretty cool.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

I never buy roms, its pointless. I already own most of the old games I want to play, and if I dont emulation on PC is actually better and free. 9.99 for a virtual snes console game? no thanks.

loves the Game Gear too much. recorderdude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They still make Beenas and Toylets, but Educational consoles and "Your piss is the controller" doesn't really count.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I cannot find myself downloading ROM images anymore, not just because of potential lawsuits by Nintendo and others, but also because of virus potential that could destroy my computer. And besides, you can't beat the real thing (meaning, anything other than the actual consoles).

~Ben
    Last edited by ColecoFan1981; 04-17-2013 at 05:27 PM.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    The market is huge ...
    That's quite an assumption. The retrogaming hobby may not be as big as we think it is. I go into used game stores all the time and I never see anyone buying the old games or systems. The clone systems are always sitting in the same spot every time I go in. The only buyers I ever see are buying current gen, and sometimes last gen.

Maybe if they did a limited release of NES or Genesis at high prices they would be able to turn a profit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

The genesis/super nes on a chip are very good, if sega just implemented a true genesis sound chip emulation would be perfect and very cheap to produce, but you could at least know you bought something of quality. I looked at an hyperkin retron yesterday and you can tell the build quality is awful, its weightless and the controller ports arent aligned and they stick out of the port. Just having a nice quality build by sega or ninty would be neat.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The technology is cheap now, and them doing it would mean its done right. I dont see why either really, theres a market for it, especially if they came with built in roms/iso's. If Hyperkin is doing it, they should too, theyd get bigger business too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Pimpdaddy View Post
    That's quite an assumption. The retrogaming hobby may not be as big as we think it is. I go into used game stores all the time and I never see anyone buying the old games or systems. The clone systems are always sitting in the same spot every time I go in. The only buyers I ever see are buying current gen, and sometimes last gen.

Maybe if they did a limited release of NES or Genesis at high prices they would be able to turn a profit.
    If Nintendo releases a brand new Nes around christmas with super mario 1-2-3 on the same cartridge, parents would go nuts for this and would be sold out everywhere...

Unapologetic Japanophile teh_d3th_st4r's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As cool as it would be to go into a store and buy a brand new SNES or Genesis, I honestly don't see it happening.
    Here's a few reasons why:
    1. There's no shortage of the old consoles. I have multiples of each... and so do plenty of other people that I know.
    2. It's financially impractical for them (Sega and Nintendo) to manufacture retro consoles, as pretty much everyone that's into retro gaming already has the original, and trying to feed them another console would just be flogging the proverbial deceased equine with a large cudgel.
    3. There just isn't a market for it. As I mentioned above, anyone into the scene already has an original, and there just aren't enough people out there that would be willing to throw down on a retro console remake. Even if all of us bought one, Nintendo and Sega would be hard pressed to make a dime.

Long story short; The logistics of bringing back these systems is so ludicrous, it'll never happen... ever.
    Hide your Consoles.
    I. Mod. Everything.
    Deviantart Gallery
    Youtube Channel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Quote Originally Posted by teh_d3th_st4r View Post
    As cool as it would be to go into a store and buy a brand new SNES or Genesis, I honestly don't see it happening.
    Here's a few reasons why:
    1. There's no shortage of the old consoles. I have multiples of each... and so do plenty of other people that I know.
    2. It's financially impractical for them (Sega and Nintendo) to manufacture retro consoles, as pretty much everyone that's into retro gaming already has the original, and trying to feed them another console would just be flogging the proverbial deceased equine with a large cudgel.
    3. There just isn't a market for it. As I mentioned above, anyone into the scene already has an original, and there just aren't enough people out there that would be willing to throw down on a retro console remake. Even if all of us bought one, Nintendo and Sega would be hard pressed to make a dime.

Long story short; The logistics of bringing back these systems is so ludicrous, it'll never happen... ever.
    So you're telling me you wouldnt want to buy a brand new nes model, made by nintendo, with component/hdmi inputs, and wireless bluetooth contollers? and no market for it? have you seen the number of jakks pacific, radica, atgames, hyperkin, retrobit, tommee consoles in stores in the last decade? so im pretty sure if a nintendo branded retro console made its way to stores, it would be a HUGE hit since all the crappy clone ones are selling very well and are absolute crap

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

I never buy roms, its pointless. I already own most of the old games I want to play, and if I dont emulation on PC is actually better and free. 9.99 for a virtual snes console game? no thanks.
    So your telling me....

That original company that made the consoles you love in the past should consider remaking them all because you don't wanna buy the virtual console versions (which are the same in a sense). And also said in the response of emulation that you'd rather pirate said games that you don't have that were released by these same companies that you want to make retro consoles again.

I don't get what you saying here...

Also even though things like the Retro Duo and Supaboy are doing well as a gimmick towards the retro market. Its not any where near enough to make nintendo go "hmmmm maybe we should jump on this train".

I know money's money but they are a business that wants to go after the big cash cow.. not the little one

Unapologetic Japanophile teh_d3th_st4r's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So you're telling me you wouldnt want to buy a brand new nes model, made by nintendo, with component/hdmi inputs, and wireless bluetooth contollers? and no market for it? have you seen the number of jakks pacific, radica, atgames, hyperkin, retrobit, tommee consoles in stores in the last decade? so im pretty sure if a nintendo branded retro console made its way to stores, it would be a HUGE hit since all the crappy clone ones are selling very well and are absolute crap
    Did you even read the first sentence in my post?
    If Nintendo and Sega were to release new SNES and Genesis consoles, I'd be the first in line.
    Here's the thing; you just explained why it won't happen.
    "have you seen the number of jakks pacific, radica, atgames, hyperkin, retrobit, tommee consoles in stores in the last decade?"
    Yes, I have, and so has Nintendo. With a bloated retro market, and the kind of price point Nintendo would have to put on a product like that, they wouldn't make any money.
    Hide your Consoles.
    I. Mod. Everything.
    Deviantart Gallery
    Youtube Channel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZP3 View Post
    Regardless, this would be pretty cool.
    Well duh! :P

Quote Originally Posted by recorderdude View Post
    They still make Beenas and Toylets, but Educational consoles and "Your piss is the controller" doesn't really count.
    ! Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by ColecoFan1981 View Post
    I cannot find myself downloading ROM images anymore, not just because of potential lawsuits by Nintendo and others, but also because of virus potential that could destroy my computer. And besides, you can't beat the real thing (meaning, anything other than the actual consoles).

~Ben
    Those are all not so valid concerns.

There are LOTS of trustworthy ROM sites. LOTS. Plus, you seriously can't scan files for viruses?! It's 2013. I thikn my mother knows how to scan downloaded files. Nintendo doesn't care about who downloads them, it's who distributes them that is the concern and almost always is anymore with this sort of thing.

If Nintendo releases a brand new Nes around christmas with super mario 1-2-3 on the same cartridge, parents would go nuts for this and would be sold out everywhere...
    I tend to agree that something like that would be a hot item (at least for a bit).
    Last edited by wiggyx; 04-17-2013 at 10:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I concur. There is an undeniable market for neo-retro consoles. The same companies would not keep releasing new revisions of clones if there was no market. By virtue of Wal-Mart carrying the Atari Flashbacks and Namco Jakks consoles over a period of years, I believe it is more than safe to say that this is not a small niche market. If Nintendo released a Super Mario Bros. 4 with a hdmi/bluetooth controller enhanced NES system with some preinstalled games and coaxed a few of their old, venerable 3rd parties (Konami, Capcom, and Hudson... uh, nevermind) to make some sequels and new games for it, I struggle to picture to see it not turning a profit. Of course, I want this to happen rather badly, so my biases might well be clouding the hell out of my judgment, but I don't think so.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Collector_Gaming View Post
    So your telling me....

That original company that made the consoles you love in the past should consider remaking them all because you don't wanna buy the virtual console versions (which are the same in a sense). And also said in the response of emulation that you'd rather pirate said games that you don't have that were released by these same companies that you want to make retro consoles again.
    I kinda feel the way he does.
    If he could put his actual games into a new retro system itd make for a really cool experience. The Virtual Console is an emulator running on Nintendo's new systems, so why not just use free emulators and roms that work just the same?

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

it's a LOT easier to make money selling ROMs via Virtual Console.
    This is exactly why Nintendo wont make you a new NES system. They want you to buy the roms for 5-10$ each or whatever. The profit nintendo would make from selling 1 'new' NES system would probably be equal to selling a few roms to a single consumer.

If ANY 3rd party would make a decent NES clone that puts out RGB, that would be something that alot of people would buy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

If hyperkin (or other retro companies) could release a pricier console, I wouldnt mind to buy one as long as they use quality plastic and feels well built, and yes RGB (or at least component output)!!!. The controllers are complete shit on all of these clones too, they cant even duplicate something as simple as a nes controller...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The controllers are complete shit on all of these clones too, they cant even duplicate something as simple as a nes controller...
    It boggles the mind. Best not to think of it.