Thread: What nes/snes clone consloe should I get?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile What nes/snes clone consloe should I get?

Hi, I have been looking into buying a nes/snes clone and am not sure which one to get.
    I want one that runs the games as close to the original with good sound/video.
    I don't really care about famicon games or game genie and i am also willing to by some controllers.

Thanks for your time!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

As far as I am concerned, they are all equally crappy. Video is usually bad on nes, audio too. You should just buy a cheap lot of nes and super nes in your local ads.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    As far as I am concerned, they are all equally crappy. Video is usually bad on nes, audio too. You should just buy a cheap lot of nes and super nes in your local ads.
    I would do that but i have had some problems with consoles breaking and i cant be bothered with the matenace thaht te nes requires

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked up a used Yobo NES/SNES clone in a craigslist lot a while back. It worked briefly, but it ceases to function now, so I really am going to have to throw another vote towards original hardware.

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

Quote Originally Posted by Ezlo View Post
    I would do that but i have had some problems with consoles breaking and i cant be bothered with the matenace thaht te nes requires
    I've tried the clones and have never been happy with them. I also understand where you coming from with the NES but have you looked into the top loader version of the NES? It is much more reliable and all I play my NES games on now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Just buy a 72 pin connector and break the lockout chip in your nes, quick fix that will probably work on any blinking nes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku8x4B6wNlM
    sometimes just the easy lockout mod fixes the blinking light problem, so try it out.
    Last edited by PreZZ; 04-20-2013 at 09:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

also the build quality of clones is awful, so dont expect them to last as long as the original hardware.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Post Famicom clone, wait don't but they're still cool.

I just found a famicom clone at the thrift store. It's actually pretty nice. I've never owned/seen and real family computer, but I bought his little guy. Honestly, the build quality is pretty good. I've had other clones and I can always tell crap build quality when the unit smells like a new shower curtain ( retron3 ), . Anyway. It's pretty awesome except, the sound is too loud. It's like I've turned the volume up too loud but I haven't. Other than that it's pretty cool. But with that all said, I'd still go for the original hardware even though it's faulty in it's cart loading ways.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Ignore the naysayers - clones can be worthwhile, but not all are built equally.

The best dual NES/SNES clone is the RetroDuo - but depending on the revision, you might have to do some minor minor soldering to add in a small audio dampener to make NES audio sound correct.

Check out my video review of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDJBY9PWqTk

If you want a Famiclone by itself and already have an SNES, the absolute best clone out there is the TriStar/Super 8.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO5ICApvVNY
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Retroduo is a waste of plastic and circuits. Take it for what its worth, a nes and a snes are both really cheap these days.
    Last edited by Parodius Duh!; 04-21-2013 at 04:26 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Back in the days I bought a Generation NEX.

It was a huge mistake. Compatibility issues and it broke after 2 years. Go with original hardware! Learn to clean cart contacts and fix the 72pin connector.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

More or less all of them are crap. The least offensive I've come across is just the Supaboy v2 and it's SNES only. It won't run a couple FX chip games, won't run SF Alpha 2(or Star Ocean due to the SDD1 chip), and SA1 games can be bitchy unless you cart swap (put a non SA game in, turn on, press+hold reset, slide out game and in the SA1 game, release to boot) but the audio and video on it are solid and it works great, and can take legit SNES controllers and be used on a tv as a console. The d-pad is crappy on it though like the retro duo, but unlike the RD it can be fixed super cheaply and easily using a small piece of plastic (electrical tie off cap) sanded down to the right height and it will then function perfect. Without the fix games can read multiple d-pad presses at the same time which can cause some awful results, worst being 360 degree movement games (shooters, street fighter) are more or less unplayable.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Ignore the naysayers - clones can be worthwhile, but not all are built equally.

The best dual NES/SNES clone is the RetroDuo - but depending on the revision, you might have to do some minor minor soldering to add in a small audio dampener to make NES audio sound correct.

Check out my video review of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDJBY9PWqTk

If you want a Famiclone by itself and already have an SNES, the absolute best clone out there is the TriStar/Super 8.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO5ICApvVNY
    Agreed.

These are good choices.

Or, you can wait for the Retron 5 http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ing-apparently
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius Duh! View Post
    Retroduo is a waste of plastic and circuits. Take it for what its worth, a nes and a snes are both really cheap these days.
    and what exactly do you base that off? The RetroDuo and the Super 8 especially are the absolute kings of clones. Of course, I own the original hardware of each system as well, but the statement that the RetroDuo is somehow a waste of money/should not exist is absolutely unfounded fiction.

The RetroDuo 2.0 and onwards will play almost every NES game in existence, and the Super 8 does even better. The preformance of these clones are unmatched, and the RetroDuo runs off a 5v regulated power supply that will never overheat. If the RetroDuo and Super 8 were NOT equal to the original hardware I would clearly say so as I've gone into depth about both of them as well as many other clones. There's nothing wrong with simply liking the original hardware, but spreading myths about the RetroDuo or other clones should not be tolerated.

NOACs are all over the place and clones vary in quality, but to blanket all of them are the same junk is just fanboyism.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/