Thread: Final Fantasy VII with a misprinted disc

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Final Fantasy VII with a misprinted disc

Never heard of anything like this before, so I'm hoping maybe one of you knows something. I have a copy of FFVII....and disc 3 is completely missing the black layer of printing on it. The disc is white, with the blue symbols, and you can clearly see where the "3" is supposed to be printed on it. Anyone ever heard of anything like this, or know what it's worth? I've attached pictures.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0800.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	6561Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0804.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	6562
    Last edited by angelshank; 04-24-2013 at 09:38 PM.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Never seen or heard of this myself, either. My first thought is that maybe something like Acetone was used to remove just the black lettering. As I recall, the lettering is raised and so might be easier to remove in such a way than the white. Acetone would probably 'cloud' the plastic, though. Maybe another solvent?

Next thought is that the first picture you posted looks odd. The second black ring in the center has a smudge(?) on the bottom that isn't in the second picture. What is causing that? Lighting?

And of course, disc misprints aren't unheard of by any means, so that is most likely what you have. Worth more than a regular copy to the right buyers, but it isn't a prototype, alpha, or anything like that either, so not likely worth a LOT more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This is more less the 4,000th printing error I've seen with Final Fantasy VII - be it wrong inserts, weird alignment, wrong esrb, wrong emblem, etc. Yours is one of the more extreme ones, that's for sure. I cataloged most of the known ones (be it in image or in text) here:
    http://www.game-rave.com/psx_games/d...finalfantasy7/

Sadly, since the errors are that much more prevalent, they're actually not worth that much more than any other version of FFVII.

If you're interested in selling it, please PM me and I can make you an offer.

Thanks!
    Jason

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    Never seen or heard of this myself, either. My first thought is that maybe something like Acetone was used to remove just the black lettering. As I recall, the lettering is raised and so might be easier to remove in such a way than the white. Acetone would probably 'cloud' the plastic, though. Maybe another solvent?

Next thought is that the first picture you posted looks odd. The second black ring in the center has a smudge(?) on the bottom that isn't in the second picture. What is causing that? Lighting?

And of course, disc misprints aren't unheard of by any means, so that is most likely what you have. Worth more than a regular copy to the right buyers, but it isn't a prototype, alpha, or anything like that either, so not likely worth a LOT more.
    Weird lighting. I was trying to get a good angle to show both discs, and disc 3 has the black circle between the black of the disc and the white layer missing, so it's sort of holographic. The lighting was reflecting off, making it look smudged. The front of the discs are actually in pristine condition. The layers that are on disc 3 look and feel exactly like the other 2 discs, so no solvent whatsoever. It's definitely an odd game I have on my hands here. I've emailed a gaming expert, and Square Enix as well, to see if they can tell me anything too.

Dangerboy, I actually came across your site when trying to research this.
    Last edited by angelshank; 04-25-2013 at 07:02 AM.