Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The 3DO. My second favorite video game console ever.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Manga4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The 3DO. My second favorite video game console ever.

I know the title of this thread sounds crazy, but it's true. The 3DO is my second favorite gaming machine ever. I remember the day I got one, in April of 1996 my dad had won a scratch ticket and gave me $250 to do whatever I wanted with so me and my friend (R.I.P) went to FUNCOLAND and planned on buying a crap ton of NES and SNES games with it. Instead we saw a small section for 3DO games and some of them looked really cool so we checked on how much the system was on those old school news paper FUNCOLAND price sheets and it was $160 at the time so we bought the Panasonic system (the big one) and a CD cleaning system by a company called Recaton. We also picked out AD&D Slayer and Myst as the first two games, both were $15 each at the time. When we got home we played Myst first, and after like 3 hours of trying to figure out where we were and what the game was about we tossed in Slayer and got completely engrossed in the dungeon crawling aspect of the game. Seriously, it was so much fun! We literally played Slayer all night and even just let the game run to listen to the music for a bit, it was that freakin' awesome, and with time Slayer went on to become my #1 favorite game of all-time and Myst cracked my top 20.

Other games would come. Eventually we bought Theme Park, Mazer, Hell, AD&D Deathkeep, DOOM, Escape From Monster Manor, Burning Soldier, Lucinnes Quest, Gex, Samurai Showdown, Super Street Fighter 2, Slam n' Jam 95, Ballz: The Directors Cut, Captain Quasar, Off-World Interceptor, Alone in the Dark 1 and 2, Sewer Shark, and so many other games I can't even think right now. We had so much fun staying up all night playing these games and many would go on to become some of my all-time favorites, the 3DO became such an important piece of my gaming history that I loved it more than my SNES, Genesis, Playstation and other systems that were big at the time, I was completely in love with it and played it all the time and forged some great memories with my friend who had recently passed away.

Anyone here love the 3DO, too? If so, what games and what kinds of memories did you gain during your time with the system? Let's discuss!
    Blog - Latest entry 4/13/13: CLASSIC GAMING, Discovering new gems is the funnest part.
    Twitter Follow me!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Have you played that quiz show game that Trip Hawkins says is his favorite on the system?

Oh and heres a video of him talking about the system at the first E3, or across the street from it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nope, never played it. I was never one for trivia style games aside from Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune for the NES back in the day, but other than that I never enjoyed them.

One specific memory I remember back in the day is one night my friend was playing Escape from Monster Manor and he entered a room where the ghosts were loud and there were a lot of them, it was about 3 in the morning and we were tired and the sounds scared us and he dropped the controller. It was kind of funny because up until then we have never been scared of a video game or spooked even in the slightest and that did it, kind of a neat memory.
    Blog - Latest entry 4/13/13: CLASSIC GAMING, Discovering new gems is the funnest part.
    Twitter Follow me!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This game is waaaaaaaaaaaay different than that.

Twisted: The Game Show

Quoted as being Trip Hawkins favorite 3DO game, Twisted for short is a trivia/puzzle game that has contestants stuck on a digitized game show. The object is to make your way to the top of the spiral game board and make it back to reality.

With the most unusual cast of characters you can go head to head with up to 5 players in multiplayer. Each player will take turns rolling the Cyber Die and then will move that amount of spaces, landing on different colored spaces grants a certain event. Most spaces will either give a bonus or be a trap, then there’s the Matrix space, this is where the competition happens. Depending on which matrix square is selected that corresponding game will take place.

Surprisingly many of the trivia games are very entertaining, and also memory, reflex, and intelligence come into play. There’s a total of 8 games that are all presented in a goofy manor and are fun and challenging. Sound Bites lets you select a presidents picture and match wacky sounds that come from their mouths. Meanwhile Twin Peaks lets you open different pictures to match what’s behind them, just to give a few examples.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I used to rent the 3DO at first, when I was a kid. I can't remember what games I rented with the system, but Monster Manor was one of them. Eventually I was able to save up enough to buy one myself. I played the shit outof that system and I loved it. I've noticed that most people that love the system are the ones like me who owned it back in the 90's. It has that nostalgic feel of being some people's first CD based system. I still love the system and games, and have it hooked up to one of my TVs as we speak. All in all, I am also a proud 3DO owner.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also have a 3DO, and despite what the AVGN episode lead people to believe, it actually has some good games if you can look through all the FMV crap on the system. Like it has damn good ports of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo and Samurai Shodown, another good game is Total Eclipse, its a Star Fox type game with great risk vs reward gameplay, where your health is constantly draining, and you have to shoot enemies and it restores your health somewhat. then there is one of the very few RPGs on the system Guardian War, the other one is really rare and expensive. also the racing game Crash N' Burn, and I also think the system has a great version of Road Rash but I don't have Road Rash. My 3DO is the FZ-1.
    What's up with islands? Get more land.
    What's up with deserts? Get less sand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chrozi

wait a minute, how has NOBODY mentioned Star Control II yet?
    "Oh my lord it's nutty, yup!"

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Have you guys ever played your games with the DOS operating system attachment?

You guys have made me start taking steps into the 4DO side of the pool.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Quote Originally Posted by SOL BADGUY View Post
    Have you guys ever played your games with the DOS operating system attachment?

You guys have made me start taking steps into the 4DO side of the pool.
    What the hell is that? Are you talking about the Creative 3DO Blaster? A hardware expansion card for the PC where you can play 3DO on the PC.

I did hear that the M2 was originally going to be an expansion to the 3DO but got canned.
    Last edited by buzz_n64; 04-26-2013 at 11:36 AM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    What the hell is that? Are you talking about the Creative 3DO Blaster? A hardware expansion card for the PC where you can play 3DO on the PC.

I did hear that the M2 was originally going to be an expansion to the 3DO but got canned.
    Yeah what you said first. Im wondering how good it really was compared to an actual 3DO.

I know about the M2 stuff as well.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I came in here to say you must've had a lot of 90s cash to blow back then - Turns out I was right.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also love 3DO. So many good games, and most have that Win95 feel which I enjoy. Reminds me of mid 90's PC gaming.

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

I love the 3DO but could never afford one back in the day. (To be fair I was only 11 when they came out).

I bought one pretty recently and have been enjoying it. I would have really loved to have one back in the day when they were new.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The 3DO is one of the consoles that I never even had an urge to get into, along with CD-i and Atari Jaguar. Of those three, only about the 3DO have I heard good somewhat good things, although this is the first time I ever heard anyone put it up there with their favorites. It has to be nostalgia.

Maybe one year I'll finally break down and buy one (heaven knows I'm not getting any next-gen systems, so I'll be able to afford it). Any recommendations? What to look for? What to get? Top 10/25/50 games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sure, nostalgia has something to do with it but I think the fact that I fire it up at least 10+ times a year proves that I actually do enjoy it and am not just playing it out of nostalgia. Currently I'm playing Theme Park on and off, I absolutely love this game and I love how you have total control over everything in your park. I'll be moving onto AD&D Deathkeep after that, I had (and still have) a thing for dungeon crawler titles....
    Twitter Follow me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

I love the 3DO also, had one since 95..A memory i have is staying up late on weekends playing Need For Speed and drinking beer, and like the cool teens we were would say hey..haha you shouldnt drink n drive..Still a very fun system to have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think the 3DO is tremendously underrated. It really doesn't get anywhere near the credit it deserves. Most people in this thread got the 3DO in 1995 or 1996, when it was already out of contention so to speak. What people forget, is the thing launched in October of 1993. If you look at the kind of games that were available in October of 1993 on the other systems, well, lets just say that the 3DO was one of those rare times when the technology jump was pretty significant. If you put a SNES game side by side with Crash N Burn and Total Eclipse, the two systems would seem like they are from different decades. Especially at the time of launch. A buddy of mine (who wasn't rich by the way), bought a 3DO at launch. I remember playing the hell out of Crash N Burn with him. We would play Crasn N Burn, and we'd also play the demo of Total Eclipse that came on the Crash N Burn disk.

This was in October 1993. The people that first played a 3DO in late 1995, or 1996, just can't imagine how next-level the thing seemed to be in 1993 and 1994.

I didn't get my own 3DO until Road Rash was available, which I think was the summer of 1994. I was able to buy an open box 3DO that was marked down several hundred from the original price point. I remember Escape from Monster Manor, Gex, Need for Speed, Out of this World (best version btw), The Horde, Shockwave, AD & D Slayer, Fifa Soccer, Madden and Alone in the Dark all being good games. There are definitely some other games that came along that I enjoyed as well, but I mostly remember that Road Rash game being my favorite on the 3DO. Out of this World is an amazing game when you consider the visuals and the audio of it. Really beautiful version of that game. Wolfenstein has amazing music. I really like the music on that one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"Next generation" is meaningless.

In the mid 1990s, would you rather have been playing Crash and Burn and Myst, or Super Metroid, Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong Country 2, and Chrono Trigger?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    "Next generation" is meaningless.

In the mid 1990s, would you rather have been playing Crash and Burn and Myst, or Super Metroid, Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong Country 2, and Chrono Trigger?
    Hated Yoshi's Island, didn't like the Donkey Kong Country games, kind of liked Super Metroid, and liked Chrono Trigger just fine. But I'd rather be playing Gex, Monster Manor, AD&D Slayer, Samurai Showdown, Alone in the Dark 1 & 2, Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Off World Interceptor, and many other 3DO titles.
    Twitter Follow me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The 3DO is a turd IMO. Bought one back I the day to play SSF2T and then sold it when there were ports for other systems that I actually like. I've never even considered picking one up again.

Star Control was probably the only other game that I cared about.