Thread: playing Phoenix Wright

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default playing Phoenix Wright

I just go a DSI and the PW games ( 4 of them) and I have read reviews and watched videos on the series. My question is, even watching the reviews and gameplay, I really dont understand what is going on. how is the game actually played? i got them because they look interesting but can i get some heads up on what to expect.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

They're adventure games, more specifically Visual Novels. You play the games mostly through menus, choosing where to go, what to interact with, what to say, what inventory objects to use, and when to do all these things. You can play through everything at your own pace.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

They're also chronologically related visual novels, like chapters in a book. Play them in order to have any idea what's going on. The order is:

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (1)
    Phoenix Wright: Justice for All (2)
    Phoenix Wright: Trials & Tribulations (3)
    Miles Edgeworth: Investigations (spin off taking place between 3 and 4)
    Apollo Justice (4)
    Miles Edgeworth Investigations 2 (Japan only)
    Phoenix Wright 5 on 3DS TBA (5)
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Apollo Justice came out before Miles Edgeworth, you can play them in the order they were originally released and they'll still make sense. I find it's usually best to play games in the order that they're released.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Bump to Modern Gaming
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Play for things like the story, music, and humor.

They are very linear. Little bonus content or alternate routes. No penalty for cheating either.
    Lum fan.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

awesome.....I was wondering what order they went in and if it made any diff in what order they were played....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

yes, absolutely. as I said, they're like books in a series. If you pick up the second book you won't know who any of the characters are or understand their relationships. Make sure you play Phoenix Wright 1 from start to finish before moving on. It won't take you all that long (the original game was a near launch title for the GameBoy Advance in Japan) so they're all worth checking out. Unfortunate, while they're all good, the series has a somewhat uneven range in quality. The second game - Justice for All - is the low point of the series. Not because it's BAD, but because it doesn't really bring much new to the table. It feels like Phoenix Wright's expansion pack rather than a new entry. The others all improved on that.

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Phoenix Wright thread!

As has been said before, play the games in order. If you get Investigations, play that either before or after Apollo. It doesn't really matter. Investigations 2 makes an awesome paperweight if you're not fluent in Japanese.

The uneven quality in the games mainly comes from their respective 3rd cases, which are almost always filler. The first game's third case is fun, because it fleshes Maya out a little more as a Steel Samurai fangirl. The second, third, and fourth game (and Investigations 1)'s third cases made me want to bang my head against a wall repeatedly.

I love the Phoenix Wright games (Apollo Justice not so much), but the third cases in all the games after the first make me agree with the comment about uneven quality in the series. I challenge Eshiro & friends to give us a third case in AA5 that doesn't suck. It's been a while.
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i cant wait till they all get here. Im hoping they arent too difficult or confusing for me to pick up on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Oh no, not at all. As long as you're paying attention and use common sense, the cases are rather easy. All you really have to do is sit back and enjoy the awesome future anime court drama. The gameplay consists of three modes:

1. Investigation - this plays like a traditional point and click adventure game. Your goal here is to talk to those involved (police, the suspect, witnesses, etc) and visit the crime scene to gather evidence.

2. Pressing the witnesses in court for more detail in their testimony.

3. Pointing out a hole in the witness' statement by presenting a piece of evidence that contradicts witness testimony. For example, if someone claims they herd a disturbance of 2 pm, you press them on how they knew what time it was so exactly, and then see if you have any evidence to prove they couldn't have known what the time was or something like that. In the first game, you are allowed five mistakes before the judge will rule in favor of the prosecution causing you to lose the case (game over).

In addition, since the game only autosaves at junctions, you can abuse the system by guessing and being wrong, then turn off your DS and turn it back on again. You'll resume BEFORE you guessed and thus not take a penalty for guessing wrong.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

awwww man, this game is awesome. so far, its the only game i have ever spent this amount of time on. it really forces you to pay attention to all the characters and what they are saying. so far its just right, are there any things in the game that get really hard and more confusing? im on the part where im just showing April May the photo of the guy she came with.