Thread: Gaming on the cheap: What do you play? Games under 20 bucks shipped.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Gaming on the cheap: What do you play? Games under 20 bucks shipped.

After getting out of collecting for a few years, and a few days ago noticing that any Nintendo format games have reached absurd prices, I though it would be cool everyone to share what some of their favorite games are that you can still get shipped to your door for under 20 bucks. So i'll start with mine. These are among my favorite games of all time and some you can still score even under 10 bucks on a good day. I'll try and keep them obscure since on here everyone is familiar with most classic games.

Sega Master System:

1. Spellcaster - Still one of my favorites of all time and still can be had complete for under $15.00 if you're lucky. It's a cross between Shadowgate, a side scroll action RPG, and the end is a surprise. If you've beat kid icarus that will give you a good idea. Love this game!!!

2. Golvellius: Valley of Doom - A Zelda clone, but it's still a lot of fun.

Turbo Grafx 16:

1. Legendary Axe - If you haven't played it you're missing out.

Sega Genesis:

1. Landstalker: The Treasures of King Nole - This another action RPG and may just be my favorite game of all time. For being on genesis it looks beautiful. It feels very "Shiny" if you know what I mean. A lot of people gripe because the game uses the DDS (Diamond Dimension System) which is a 3/4 view where you have to walk using diagonals. It's really not hard to grasp you just need a good controller.

2. Wonder Boy in Monster World - In case you haven't noticed I love my action RPG's. This game is not different. It is a mandatory buy in my opinion. There is the expensive Turbo Duo version Dynastic Hero that can be had on Virtual Console, and that version is better. But the Genesis version is still worth owning. It is harder with different graphics and sound.

3. Rolling Thunder 2 and 3 - Both games are great if you like hard side scroll action/spy games.

4. Quackshot - Best Disney game ever made... period!

PS1:

1. Croc: Legend of the Gobbos - I had some great time with this game in high school with my firends. It was one of the only games we all loved to play with 7 people in the room.

2. DBZ (Dead Ball Zone) - This ain't a great game, but its so obscure and it is fast paced and fun. It's kinda like powerball, but faster and with automatic weapons and fighting. For the price it's worth checking out.

3. Sled Storm - I think it still holds up today. It doesn't look pretty but the difficulity is just right.

PS2:

1. Victorious Boxers - Still the best boxing game ever in my opinion and i'm a huge punchout fan so that's saying a lot. You can get it under 10 bucks.

2. Tsugunai: Atonement - I don't know why but I always really liked this game. It's and Atlus RPG, back when Atlus's games were all still interesting. You play the role of a guy names Reis who dies trying to steal a idol and as his ghost you go around and help people hence the name atonement. It isn't for everyone but I enjoyed it.

3. Skygunner - This is one fo the games on the list you really have to shop around to find under 20 bucks. And I could see it being expensive in the future. You could call it a shooter, but i'm not certain that would be correct. You do shoot stuff but it's not traditional horizontal, or vertical. It has anime graphics with a weird French vibe. I also feel like this is a mandatory game everyone should own.

4. Klonoa 2: Lunateas Veil - I'm still confused why this game is under 20 dollars. It's not super rare, but it's not common either. But one thing is certain is that it's a lot of fun.

PC:

1. Legend of Grimrock - It's on sale on Steam for less than 5 bucks all the time. If you like dungeon crawlers I think this is the best one ever made next to Shining the Holy Ark on Saturn. It cheap, long, creepy, with a interesting magic system.

2. Torchlight 1 and 2 - Plays like Diablo but I think they are much better. Can be had on sale well under 10 bucks each on steam.

3. Superbrothers: Sword and Sorcery EP - This game is great.

4. Unity of Command - It doesn't look good but this strategy game set during WW1 is hard as nails and very in depth. Strategy fans should check it out.

PS3:

1. Demon's Souls: Easily my favorite game on ps1. I love hard games and they don't get much tougher than this one.

2. Dark Souls: It's not obscure, but I had to mention it. I love these games.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Whatever I can find at thrifts or yard sales or classified ads, I don't buy games online so I don't pay attention to online values unless I'm selling something or making sure I'm not getting ripped off. Usually $5 total is my limit for a used game.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

You can still find good games cheap if you search enough. I went to a town wide yard sale over the weekend and made a pretty good Gamecube find:

Mario Kart DD
    Paper Mario
    Zelda TP
    Smash Bros.
    Zelda OoT master quest
    Mario Sunshine
    Megaman Anniverary collection

grand total was $30 for all. Buying online you are most of the time going to pay top dollar. This thread is a good idea, I'm just saying that deals are still out there and flea market season is still young (depending where you're from).