Thread: So, if you had to pick one of the multi-system clones.....which one?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Manga4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default So, if you had to pick one of the multi-system clones.....which one?

Yeah, I know. Original hardware is the best blah blah blah. But, if you had to go with one of the clone systems which one would you choose? I'm primarily looking to get a clone system that handles at least NES/SNES, but having access to Genesis games would be nice too.

Now, in the past I've had a Yobo, the little white and red one for my NES games and I'm the current owner of a Generation NEX (which I like), but I'm kind of in the market for a multi-unit and my NEX machine is starting to show some wear n' tear since I've had it up and running now since late 2005.

Recommendations are most certainly welcome!
    Blog - Latest entry 4/13/13: CLASSIC GAMING, Discovering new gems is the funnest part.
    Twitter Follow me!

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

I think the best one out there is the Retron3. I really like that it allows you to use the original controllers.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Myself I would personally wait for the Retron 5. It might be expensive but it's a cheaper way to gain access to Famicom games than to import a real Famicom from Japan, on top of having support for all three Game Boys, SNES, Genesis, NES and not having lockout tabs for Super Famicom & Mega Drive. Don't forget about those save states! A clone is a clone, plain and simple, so get the one with the most features. To me it's all or nothing. If you want quality get original, and if you want access to all kinds of stuff in one, get the most featured regardless of quality.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Don't forget about those save states! A clone is a clone, plain and simple, so get the one with the most features. To me it's all or nothing. If you want quality get original, and if you want access to all kinds of stuff in one, get the most featured regardless of quality.
    That's my line of thinking as well. If I'm not playing a game on the original system, the emulator or clone had better give me something otherwise unavailable. Save states, as you mentioned, are a big selling point for me. I'm holding out hope that there will still be a way, official or otherwise, to play roms on the Retron 5. Providing early reviews don't dismiss the system as an out and out abomination, I think I'll probably buy it regardless of rom playing ability just because the idea of owning the king of clones appeals to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Looking for NES clones? There are several on the market. Here's my starting guide I wrote for people who don't know what choice is best for them. It lists all the pros and cons of each option.

http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/2...tarting-guide/
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dr. BaconStein's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Retro Duo was my first clone console. It's the only multi-loader I have, mostly because after that I migrated to handheld clones and other platforms like Android. It was considered the best when it came out, but now you would probably be better off waiting for the Retro Trio or the RetroN 5, which look to really break some new ground with things like GBA support. They'll most likely have better compatibility and probably perfect compatibility for SNES. They also have NES controller support for things like Duck Hunt, which the Retro Duo and FC Twin lack.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Myself I would personally wait for the Retron 5. It might be expensive but it's a cheaper way to gain access to Famicom games than to import a real Famicom from Japan, on top of having support for all three Game Boys, SNES, Genesis, NES and not having lockout tabs for Super Famicom & Mega Drive. Don't forget about those save states! A clone is a clone, plain and simple, so get the one with the most features. To me it's all or nothing. If you want quality get original, and if you want access to all kinds of stuff in one, get the most featured regardless of quality.

I think I'm with this guy.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For multi-console clones, I say RetroDuo v3.0 with RetroGen Adapter. This is currently the most compatible combination when it comes to multi-console clones as the RetroDuo itself is already more compatible than every other legal, i.e. made in 2005 through now, hardware clone, and when you throw in the RetroGen Adapter, you gain Genesis compatibility that's fairly high with the exception of games requiring a 3-button controller (MODE button is not mapped), Virtua Racing (missing signal on the cartridge slot) and Sonic 2 locked onto Sonic & Knuckles (this one makes no sense as I have NEVER seen a single Geniclone do this, including other clones that share the RetroGen Adapter's TCT-6801 GOAC like the RetroN3 and the RetroBit version of the Gen-X). The RetroGen Adapter also has Master System compatibility, which is a big plus, though games with memory paging chips in the cartridge have a tendency to display various amounts of graphical garbage.

Now, if you just want an all-in-1 console without having to use an extra cartridge to play Genesis games, go for the FC3 Plus Version 2. I specifically say the Version 2 as this one is better than the original revision which was only really good as a Super NES. The Genesis side was meh (VERY dark video, does not play Virtua Racing and won't even play Master System games at all) and the NES side was complete trash. From what I've seen lately, the NES side is still trash (and strangely, some compatibility problems can be resolved with a Game Genie, if you would believe this. I don't know what this does to allow games the FC3 Plus' NOAC has issues with, but believe me when I say some games require a Game Genie to work), but the Super NES side is still just as good as it was before and the Genesis side is the best I've seen from any GOAC-based clone. Virtua Racing works, Master System games work, and even the 32X with the exception of video and audio mixing. If there's RGB out of the GOAC, the FC3 Plus Version 2 could be fully compatible with the 32X.

And if you can solder, get the RetroN3. If you can't, stay away from it as out of the box, it's a pile of crap. NES side is meh (and was recently stripped of Castlevania III compatibility... WTF?), Genesis side is okay (meh video and decent sound, but VERY quiet), and the Super NES side is a complete mess with highly distorted and extremely loud audio.

Insert Coin (Level 0) DreamStar's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes Sir!I'm also waiting for the Retro 5 ,I especially like the fact it's going to able to play Famicom games.So now I can in enjoy playing Castlevania 3 with full Famicom audio.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

IF there is one that can properly handle the MMC5 for Castlevania III I'd take that for NES.

SNES would be the Supaboy v2 hands down with what's on the market currently as it runs so much so well with little that fails to work.

Looking forward if the boasting is truth that Retron5 will be the best thing to grab if you don't want real parts and with all the emulator like perks plus HDMI if it's being honestly reported ahead of time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Simple, I wouldn't. Yes, I'm one of those "original hardware" die hard types. I don't like any of the clones because I've not seen any that are really much better than an emulator in my opinion. However, I am interested to see what comes from the Retron5. I also agree that if I were you, I'd wait for that to come out before making any decision. If it ends up being all it's trumped up to be it might change my mind about clone systems.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD