Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite BASEBALL game for the NES?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Manga4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What is your favorite BASEBALL game for the NES?

Of all the different baseball games available on the NES, which one ranks among your absolute favorite? For me it was always Little League Baseball, there was just something about it and I've played this game on and off for the past several years and I absolutely love it to death, but then I discovered Baseball Stars II and fell head over heels. Baseball Stars II has great control, gameplay, graphics, and awesome music, it's the best baseball game ever created in my opinion and most certainly the most fun and addicting for me.
    Blog - Latest entry 4/13/13: CLASSIC GAMING, Discovering new gems is the funnest part.
    Twitter Follow me!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The NES has to be one of the best systems for Baseball games. So many great ones, it must have at least 10 good baseball games:
    My favorite:
    For 2 player I like ............... RBI
    For single player, I like......... Baseball Stars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Not saying that it is the best, but for me its got ot be RBI Baseball. I can remember how competitive a lot of my family was over this game..Awsome times

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have to go with the the Bases Loaded games, though the RBI games are good too. That being said, after playing modern baseball games I can't imagine ever playing an NES baseball game for any length of time again. Retro sports games just don't hold up at all to me.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Baseball Simulator 1.000, followed by BaseWars in second. but those are fantasy baseball games with power ups and fights and stuff.

Insert Coin (Level 0) TecmoBowlTerror's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

RBI Baseball is clearly the best for me. Hands down the best pitcher/batter interface of any game from that era. Obviously I'm biased, but I know the sheer amounts of variables in the game that go into all the different batter and pitcher ratings. The aspect of having "real players" in the game and their coinciding abilities really made it a heavy hitter for me when it first came out. Guys like Brett Saberhagen or Andre Dawson in RBI are pretty memorable based on their great abilities.

Bases loaded really had the graphics nailed down for that era. The drawback for me on the original bases loaded in 2 player mode was how easy it was to hit. Every game was like 9-7. Everyone remembers Jersey and the batter Paste who would just kill it. Pretty awesome that a fictional sports game athlete is that recognizable.

Baseball Stars was the most revolutionary of the games with the GM aspect, the schedules, and even stat tracking. Baseball Stars came out about 2 years after RBI and Bases loaded, so it certainly had that advantage. BS though did't have real players like RBI, so the teams and such are far less memorable. The lovely ladies and the ghouls or whatever. It lost some of the replay factor due to lack of realism. I didn't like the fielding in BS either. The camera focusing on the fly ball made it an adventure in the outfield unlike the other 2.

I've heard good things about little league baseball, but have yet to play it.
    Baseball simulator 1000 for the NES was alright as well. It had a cool feature where you could play in 1 of 6 different stadiums. I loved that feature as a kid.

Considering sports games were either completely awesome or completely awful during the late 80's, its really cool to look back and see that baseball was a game that many different developers "got right" for the most part. For football, there was Tecmo Bowl and then everything else pretty much paled in comparison.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    The NES has to be one of the best systems for Baseball games. So many great ones, it must have at least 10 good baseball games:
    My favorite:
    I second Baseball Stars for one player only. Playing as the All-star team would put another player at an automatic disadvantage.
    Last edited by Immutable; 05-11-2013 at 10:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    My favorite:
    I've always subscribed to this line of thinking as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A few more tidbits....RBI is great because you can play a 3 game series in maybe an hour tops. Bases loaded took a good 45 minutes per game. Really too long imo. I can't think off the top of my head just how long a game of baseball stars is, but its seemed to be in the same time frame as RBI. The quicker the better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Quote Originally Posted by Manga4life View Post
    Of all the different baseball games available on the NES, which one ranks among your absolute favorite? For me it was always Little League Baseball, there was just something about it and I've played this game on and off for the past several years and I absolutely love it to death, but then I discovered Baseball Stars II and fell head over heels. Baseball Stars II has great control, gameplay, graphics, and awesome music, it's the best baseball game ever created in my opinion and most certainly the most fun and addicting for me.
    Are we including the arcade style baseball games? If so, then it's Base Wars for me. Robot baseball with laser swords is win.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Legends of the Diamond is another good NES baseball game.

Now that I think about it, why did one home game console have so many baseball games developed for it?? There are at least twenty to choose from!

Bad News Baseball
    Base Wars
    Baseball
    Baseball Simulator 1.000
    Baseball Stars
    Baseball Stars 2
    Bases Loaded
    Bases Loaded 2
    Bases Loaded 3
    Bases Loaded 4
    Bo Jackson Baseball
    Dusty Diamond's All-Star Softball
    Legends of the Diamond
    Little League Baseball
    Major League Baseball
    Quattro Sports
    R.B.I. Baseball
    R.B.I. Baseball 2
    R.B.I. Baseball 3
    Roger Clemens MVP Baseball
    Tecmo Baseball
    Last edited by Rob2600; 05-12-2013 at 09:12 AM.

Giganticus breathalizer Mr Mort's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Base Wars.

Awesome fun, baseball mixed with robotic combat, and some awesome weapons to boot.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Baseball Stars hands down, Bases Loaded also a fave of mine.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Strawberry (Level 2) Streetball 21's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For me, its a tie between Dusty Diamonds All-Star Softball and Baseball Stars. Dusty Diamonds was so much fun since you pick all of your team one by one, each with their own abilities and powers. And Baseball Stars, the create a player option was so awesome!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Bases Loaded games were my favorites but the R.B.I. games were also very fun to play.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    Now that I think about it, why did one home game console have so many baseball games developed for it?? There are at least twenty to choose from!
    And even more in Japan. That's why: Japan's obsession with baseball.

Strawberry (Level 2) FrankSerpico's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This was also an era when baseball was still neck and neck with football when it came to the American sports market. You had World Series involving small market teams like the Oakland A's and KC Royals that still did incredibly well ratings-wise back in the '80s. Doubt that would happen today

needs food badly. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Schlimtor
    PSN
    Schlimtor

I have to go with Bad News Baseball. There's just something about the pink bunny umpires that reel me in.
    "Red Warrior needs food badly."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm an R.B.I. Baseball man. It is simply a brilliant game that still holds up today- especially with a second player as mentioned numerous times above. I'd really love to find another R.B.I lover to play this game with.

Any and all fans of R.B.I. Baseball owe it to themselves to play the true sequels to the game, Pro Yakyuu - Family Stadium, that Namco only released in Japan. Tengen did not develop the original R.B.I.; they only published the brilliant game Namco developed, then they developed two sequels in North America that play nothing like the original. The Famicom's Pro Yakyuu Famista series keeps the spirit of the first alive and improves upon it. In later Pro Yakyuu - Family Stadium games you can jump and dive for the ball and you have the option to choose different interesting stadiums to play in. Wanna play in a giant aquarium? If so, '94 is your year. There is also a digitized super Japanese ump's voice ("Outtoo") throwing a little extra personality into the mix. The series, evidently as well loved in Japan as the original was here, kept rolling out sequels (there were nine games released for the Famicom) until 1994, which was the final year games were released for our NES.
    Last edited by treismac; 05-13-2013 at 09:46 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    Any and all fans of R.B.I. Baseball owe it to themselves to play the true sequels to the game, Pro Yakyuu - Family Stadium, that Namco only released in Japan.
    We did get Super Batter Up for the SNES. Great dollar bin game to track down.

NES BASEBALL!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atuzr734LWo

In the day, I was a Bases Loaded fan. I would've liked RBI more had they included my hometown Cincinnati Reds in the team lineup. But I now deeply love RBI Baseball and the wonders of the RBI Baseball editor...

http://nightwulf.rbicentral.com/rbi-editor/

Oh and Paste indeed rules

http://skreened.com/nypwshop/paste-j...ses-loaded-nes

(though i do have a sneaking suspicion the attributes in the game's code do not correctly line up with the player statistics. I find that Bay hits way more home runs than Paste and Ford with 34 HRs almost never hits a home run)