Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Hope springs eternal for the NES game collector

  1. #1
    Peach (Level 3) Flam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Sandbox
    Posts
    629
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default Hope springs eternal for the NES game collector

    So I was at a party over the weekend, and somehow we got on the topic about how some peoples mothers never throw anything out. Well, two of the people made a statement that their respective mothers still had all their old NES games. It took all I had to bite my lip and not invite myself over to their motherís house to riffle through their old NES games. So right there are two untapped boxes of NES games sitting in someoneís attic. I was always under the opinion that by now in 2013, that most of these type of situations did not exists, as most of these games would have been sold in a garage sale by now, but this proved me wrong, that even in this day and age there are in fact untapped boxes of NES games in peoples attics across the US. I just know there is a Stadium Events in one of those boxes!

  2. #2
    Key (Level 9) Satoshi_Matrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,956
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

    Default

    I'm a collector, but I don't understand why people would even want Stadium Events in the first place beyond its insane monetary value.

    To me, I find it completely worthless to collect junk games. Stadium Events is a perfect example of this - it's just World Class Track Meet by a different name, which is itself a mediocre game you might play once or twice. It's not even worth owning let alone playing.

    The crazy prices of Stadium Events represent only the game's rarity - not it's greatness, not it's fun factor, nothing at all but the fact that it's a variant of a common game that's not very good to begin with.

    This is why I don't understand the collector who aims to own every game in a console's library, especially the NES. The bigger the library, the more absolute crap there will be in the library. I'm aiming for a complete NES collection, but my aim is to own every good NES game, not every NES game period.
    Last edited by Satoshi_Matrix; 05-20-2013 at 02:16 PM.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

  3. #3
    Pretzel (Level 4) Polygon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    865
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

    Default

    I've run across situations like that recently. Personally, I would have told them that if they ever wanted to sell them to give you a call. I would call that out of line.

    Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    I'm a collector, but I don't understand why people would even want Stadium Events in the first place beyond its insane monetary value.

    To me, I find it completely worthless to collect junk games. Stadium Events is a perfect example of this - it's just World Class Track Meet by a different name, which is itself a mediocre game you might play once or twice. It's not even worth owning let alone playing.

    The crazy prices of Stadium Events represent only the game's rarity - not it's greatness, not it's fun factor, nothing at all but the fact that it's a variant of a common game that's not very good to begin with.

    This is why I don't understand the collector who aims to own every game in a console's library, especially the NES. The bigger the library, the more absolute crap there will be in the library. I'm aiming for a complete NES collection, but my aim is to own every good NES game, not every NES game period.
    My sentiments exactly. I don't collect games that I don't want to play.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

  4. #4
    Banana (Level 7) Atarileaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,483
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flam View Post
    So I was at a party over the weekend, and somehow we got on the topic about how some peoples mothers never throw anything out. Well, two of the people made a statement that their respective mothers still had all their old NES games. It took all I had to bite my lip and not invite myself over to their motherís house to riffle through their old NES games. So right there are two untapped boxes of NES games sitting in someoneís attic. I was always under the opinion that by now in 2013, that most of these type of situations did not exists, as most of these games would have been sold in a garage sale by now, but this proved me wrong, that even in this day and age there are in fact untapped boxes of NES games in peoples attics across the US. I just know there is a Stadium Events in one of those boxes!
    Why bite your lip? You're a collector and if they're just sitting there I don't think its out of line to ask people if they think they'd be willing to sell. As long as your honest with an offer (if you get to the stage of seeing what's actually available) I"ve done that before where someone has said they have some games at home and I've come right out and asked if they'd be willing to sell. Sometimes they say yes, sometimes no but it can never hurt to at least ask.

  5. #5
    Pac-Man (Level 10) treismac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    2,026
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    Why bite your lip? You're a collector and if they're just sitting there I don't think its out of line to ask people if they think they'd be willing to sell. As long as your honest with an offer (if you get to the stage of seeing what's actually available) I"ve done that before where someone has said they have some games at home and I've come right out and asked if they'd be willing to sell. Sometimes they say yes, sometimes no but it can never hurt to at least ask.
    Exactomundo. I always angle to bring up my addiction... er... uhh... my hobby at social situations just for such occasions. "What's that? You have one of those Nintendo robots along with a bunch of games sitting in your parents' attic? Sure. I'd be happy to give them a good home." My experience is that many people are simply so bemused and intrigued by the fact that someone actually still plays old video games that they're happy to give you what they have. I do, of course, bring a heavy dose of childlike wonder to the table to facilitate this response.

    Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    To me, I find it completely worthless to collect junk games. Stadium Events is a perfect example of this - it's just World Class Track Meet by a different name, which is itself a mediocre game you might play once or twice. It's not even worth owning let alone playing.
    I'd say that World Class Track Meet/Stadium Events is elevated slightly above being simply a mediocre game by virtue of it being one of a handful of games that plays with a gimmicky accessory on the NES. It is worth owning providing you have a Power Pad, just as Stack Up is if you have R.O.B., but just as you'd be a putz to buy R.O.B. to play Stack Up, you'd likewise be one for going out and buying a Power Pad to play World Class/Stadium Events.

  6. #6
    Peach (Level 3) Flam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Sandbox
    Posts
    629
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    I'm a collector, but I don't understand why people would even want Stadium Events in the first place beyond its insane monetary value.

    To me, I find it completely worthless to collect junk games. Stadium Events is a perfect example of this - it's just World Class Track Meet by a different name, which is itself a mediocre game you might play once or twice. It's not even worth owning let alone playing.

    The crazy prices of Stadium Events represent only the game's rarity - not it's greatness, not it's fun factor, nothing at all but the fact that it's a variant of a common game that's not very good to begin with.

    This is why I don't understand the collector who aims to own every game in a console's library, especially the NES. The bigger the library, the more absolute crap there will be in the library. I'm aiming for a complete NES collection, but my aim is to own every good NES game, not every NES game period.
    The Stadium Events comment was tongue and cheek. I wouldn't keep it if I came across it. I'd sell it in a heart beat.

  7. #7
    Key (Level 9) Satoshi_Matrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,956
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

    Default

    But that's the problem - people only seek it for it's value. Of course you'd be a fool to pass it over if you found a copy for cheap, but my point is that games like that have no business being valuable to begin with. The only reason it's rare at all was because the company was bought out and the name was changed - nothing else is different.

    also has the secondary effect of the European version which is not rare rasing in value because people think it's rare.

    There are exceptions of course, but the unfortunate reality is that if a game is rare, it's almost always because the game is junk to begin with.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Similar Threads

  1. Replacing tiny springs, where to buy?
    By Zapf in forum Technical and Restoration Society
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-04-2010, 04:59 PM
  2. LAST HOPE for DREAMCAST ships FEBRUARY 2nd! (We Hope)
    By fishsandwich in forum Modern Gaming
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-02-2007, 08:42 AM
  3. Classic Game Stores in Colorado Springs?
    By Pantechnicon in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-10-2006, 06:52 AM
  4. Hope springs eternal ..
    By Vroomfunkel in forum Buying and Selling
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-09-2004, 10:32 PM
  5. The Eternal Question: Which Eternal Champions?
    By kainemaxwell in forum Classic Gaming
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 09:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •