Thread: My thoughts of various 3DS eshop downloads

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default My thoughts of various 3DS eshop downloads

I'm starting this thread to put my comments on various 3DS eshop downloads.

These aren't intended to be reviews, just my off the cuff thoughts. I dunno, maybe there will be some reviews, but I don't want to cage myself into anything. Feel free to offer any thoughts that you may have on your games/downloads.

I didn't feel like making a separate thread for each game. I won't be posting here every day, but just whenever the urge strikes me
    Last edited by c0ldb33r; 05-20-2013 at 05:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move

My first post in this thread is a copy of a different thread that I made:

Link: Protip: Mario and Donkey Kong Minis on the Move is actually really good (3DS)

I've been on a 3DS kick lately and downloading a fair bit from the 3DS eshop. I downloaded Mario and DK: Minis on the Move the other day and absolutely love it.

Since it's a download title only, some people might ignore it, but it's a lot of fun, has a bunch of different modes and while challenging isn't frustrating.

Highly recommended and a steal at only $10. This easily could have been a $39.99 retail release.

I know this sounds like spam, but it isn't
    Last edited by c0ldb33r; 05-20-2013 at 06:13 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sonic Triple Trouble - Game Gear

I had an urge to play some sonic on my 3DS. To my surprise there are very few Sonic games on the 3DS virtual console. Really it's just this game and something called Sonic Labyrinth. I was not interested in Labyrinth because it looked a lot like that horrible isometric Sonic game - Sonic blast I think it's called.

Since this is a game gear game there are two things to take for granted:

1. the game will not be as fast as console versions. the game gear isn't powerful enough.
    2. given the screen size and resolution, the graphics are going to be zoomed in way too far and make it hard to see what's coming

Both of these two things are true.

However the game is pretty playable. The game is pretty fast for the game gear. The graphics are pretty good - quite colourful too. The music is completely adequate, but you won't be humming these after you turn the console off. You won't even remember them.

The game seems easier than the console versions, which is great if you're just looking for something to plow through in a few hours. If this were a $40 game I would be annoyed. For a $4 game it's fine.

What really impressed me was the options available in the game gear emulator. You can redefine control buttons, can change graphical options (blur, screen size and whether you want the game gear border to appear). I love having the game gear border because it appears in 3D which is very sharp. The screen is recessed into the console, the buttons pop out towards you. It's very well done. You can even change the colour of the gamegear - see the below picture where its blue.

The GG emulator also offers save states, but there is only one save slot and I find it takes way too many clicks to save or load a save state. I'd much prefer if I could either save or load with 2 clicks - one to click "Save" and the next to say "Are you sure?" - plus having a few more save slots wouldn't hurt.

There is one downfall, and to me its major. There are way too many levels that are mazes. I hate maze levels in games, particularly in Sonic games. Plus the mazes aren't well done - they just seem random. Not fun at all.

Do I recommend this game? If you don't mind mazes in your Sonic games, absolutely! If you're like me and don't like sonic mazes, skip it. Wait for a different sonic game to come out or pick up the DS Sonic Classics Collection cart.
    Last edited by c0ldb33r; 05-20-2013 at 06:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for reminding g me about Mario & Donkey Kong. I was just at GameStop looking for a new game, but didn't really have $30 or $40 to blow. A $10 puzzle game looks like just the ticket.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I love Triple Trouble, my favorite of all the Game Gear Sonics. Thanks for sharing the bits about emulator details, it's nice that they included a save-state and the GG frame. Making me want a 3DS more and more...