Thread: Help Buying A T.V.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Help Buying A T.V.

So, I have about a $500 dollar spending limit and i was hoping someone here could help. I play mostly classic games, some xbox 360 occasionally, and would like the modern convince of a flat screen television. It must have the option for component, rca, and s-video most importantly. I've heard some t.v.'s are have better converters to reduce lag in older games and would just like to know how everyone feels about their firescreen and classic video game experiences. I can't stand playing with distorted images. A s.d. tube tv is not an option for me.

thanks

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by ewilly View Post
    So, I have about a $500 dollar spending limit and i was hoping someone here could help. I play mostly classic games, some xbox 360 occasionally, and would like the modern convince of a flat screen television. It must have the option for component, rca, and s-video most importantly. I've heard some t.v.'s are have better converters to reduce lag in older games and would just like to know how everyone feels about their firescreen and classic video game experiences. I can't stand playing with distorted images. A s.d. tube tv is not an option for me.

thanks

I dont remember the model number but there is supposed o be an older pioneer 4:3 plasma screen that is really good for retro games and has all those connections and possibly rgb. Like most older plasmas tho it was real shitty with screen burn in so take that for what its worth

Also if you already have a modern lcd/plasma, then you should look into a good upscaler like the xrgb 2/3 and framemeister
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm on the same hunt as you. Very few - if any - flatscreens today have s-video. It's so frustrating.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Found the tv i was talking about, its the pioneer pdp v402

Heres a link where u can read up on it and see pictures and how it compares to the sony bvm 20f1u

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=43256

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just find specs. It's a few years old meow, but my Toshiba 46" has s-vid and composite. Older games look decent. My TV, like most has an aspect ratio adjsutment. YOu can set to full screen 4:3 If you have a Costco near you, go in and look and check specs.
    Now it is the beginning of
    a fantastic story! Let us
    make a Journey to
    the cave of Monters!
    Good luck!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I wouldn't bother with that Pioneer - blacks are gray! It's also old and prone to kick the bucket.
    I also wouldn't depend on a LCD TV's composite or S-video ports. The scaling is prone to be imperfect or slow, or both at the same time.

A much better option is to get an upscaler like that Framemeister. It'll let you plug in composite video, S-Video, maybe not RF but that should be possible also, and then plug that all directly into the TV. It isn't completely lag-free, but it is at least on par with other options.

Another possibility is to keep an eye out for a real tube TV. There are some 720/1080 line models (a few progressive, most all interlaced - not sure of any 1080p sets) and 360 games should look o.k. on these most of the time.

I've not really felt too bad playing 360 games on even an old composite connection, though obviously it leaves a lot to be desired (especially when text is involved).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do you need it to be new and do you have any size requirements?

I've got a Sony 60we610 that I absolutely love for modern and retro games and if you can find one, then it'll likely be in the $500 range.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well... I decided after a ton of research my only option was a crt. I went to good will, found a panisonic crt. 26 inches or so. Had s-video rca, coax, and component input. drove off made a left hand turn just to find out that the door had not shut all the way when I slammed it. It flew out into the street almost caused an accident an got scratched up on the outside, the tube appeared to be fine... When I plugged it in it seemed okay. I fired up the n64 and the bulb flashed as crt's do when they are about to go out. it was only 15 bucks... It looked hideous in my room anyways. So yeah back to square 1.

Size requirements... I wold say minumum 24 inches I currently have a 19 in. sharp LCD. its a little small for my taste. and I would rather not buy an upscaler that is 500 dollors that is insane. Was there ever any SDTV flatscreens that didn't go 6 foot back with hollow plastic?
    Last edited by ewilly; 05-21-2013 at 10:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by ewilly View Post
    well... I decided after a ton of research my only option was a crt. I went to good will, found a panisonic crt. 26 inches or so. Had s-video rca, coax, and component input. drove off made a left hand turn just to find out that the door had not shut all the way when I slammed it. It flew out into the street almost caused an accident an got scratched up on the outside, the tube appeared to be fine... When I plugged it in it seemed okay. I fired up the n64 and the bulb flashed as crt's do when they are about to go out. it was only 15 bucks... It looked hideous in my room anyways. So yeah back to square 1.

Size requirements... I wold say minumum 24 inches I currently have a 19 in. sharp LCD. its a little small for my taste. and I would rather not buy an upscaler that is 500 dollors that is insane. Was there ever any SDTV flatscreens that didn't go 6 foot back with hollow plastic?

You could probably buy an nec xm29 which is a 29 inch screen with a slightly smaller back panel relative to other crts also it does rgb and i believe has s video or possibly component

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    matt_average

You definitely need to get a flatscreen CRT TV. I went from a 19" curved tube Philips (with no S-video ) to a 27" flat Sony Trinitron with S-video and it's FANTASTIC. You don't need a huge TV for older games, I would say 27-30" is probably the upper limit. Definitely big enough for me; I tried playing my older consoles on my 42" LCD and it's just not as good.

I highly recommend the Sony Trinitron tvs, but heed my warning.....they are HEAVY.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i was always of fan of flat screen samsung TVs or Trinitron tvs.

They always had awesome pictures and color and usually had tons of inputs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Save yourself a lot of effort and just grab a Sony KV-27FS100. They are dirt common, manufactured only 10 years ago, and work well. They have composite, s-video, and component input. Look on Kijiji or Craigslist. There are other models I could recommend, but this is the easiest one to find that does the job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    matt_average

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post
    Save yourself a lot of effort and just grab a Sony KV-27FS100. They are dirt common, manufactured only 10 years ago, and work well. They have composite, s-video, and component input. Look on Kijiji or Craigslist. There are other models I could recommend, but this is the easiest one to find that does the job.
    That is the exact one I was talking about in my post. I love it.