Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contra for the NES

Cherry (Level 1) TheRetroVideoGameAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Contra for the NES

Contra, you've got to love it. Seriously, it's an age old game that is really much more fun with a second player and a game that has supplied us retro gaming fans with hours upon hour of joy. Do you guys love this game as much as I do, and if so what are your thoughts on Contra? For me, Contra was an extremely hard one player game that was easier with two but still incredibly difficult, but featured fast and fun gameplay that was pretty addicting and music that was highly enjoyable. I've recently written a blog about the game and figured I'd add a little piece of it here to spark discussion on the game...

Ah yes, many of you may remember countless late nights on the couch or early mornings in your bedrooms navigating the fierce jungles or other intense locations within Contra, but I know that all of you surely remember just how fucking hard this game actually was. This game wasn't just hard, it was a god damn ball buster, but it was also fun as hell once you've entered in the “Konami Code” and settled down with a second player to proceed into what sometimes felt like a long, slow, ass raping. It's difficulty aside, I would say that this game was truly one of the most prolific 2-player games on the NES and certainly one of the most popular. I didn't know anyone who didn't own this game back in the heyday of the Nintendo Entertainment System, or at least I didn't know anyone who hadn't at least played it. Contra was seemingly everywhere and the game was so popular it spawned some sequels on the NES and eventually quite a few other platforms like the Gameboy, Super Nintendo, Genesis, and even the Playstation, but none of them quite captured the awe-inspiring greatness of the original classic.
    I knew so many people who had this game back in the day, and even more who have rented it or played it at a friends house, and the acclaim for this game is universally outstanding. I just wish that it wasn't so expensive on eBay and in small retro video game retail stores, Contra should be no more than $10 at max because it's a pretty common game unlike something like Dragon Warrior IV that didn't see a widespread release. Anyhow, let's discuss Contra!
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!
    *UPDATED* on 11/4/13 The Retro Video Game Addict reviews: Tekken 2 for the PS1!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know a lot of people from the NES era whose first game they ever finished was Contra with the 30 lives code, myself included. It was like a rite of passage thing. I can finish it in one credit without the code now, Contra is a great game to sit down and play all the way through for some quick "save the world from aliens" satisfaction.

It's also one of those games where the home port is better than the original arcade game.

Cherry (Level 1) TheRetroVideoGameAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post
    I know a lot of people from the NES era whose first game they ever finished was Contra with the 30 lives code, myself included. It was like a rite of passage thing. I can finish it in one credit without the code now, Contra is a great game to sit down and play all the way through for some quick "save the world from aliens" satisfaction.

It's also one of those games where the home port is better than the original arcade game.
    I've never played the original arcade game, heck, I didn't even know it was an arcade game! With that said, I still can't beat it without using the Konami Code but I use Game Genie on most of my games anyway. *GASP*

Here is a direct link to the blog I wrote on Contra.
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogs...t-reviews.html
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!
    *UPDATED* on 11/4/13 The Retro Video Game Addict reviews: Tekken 2 for the PS1!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I sadly don't own this game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Contra taught me the concept of 'griefing' before there was a formal term for it. When playing the waterfall level, when one player scrolls the screen up, the other player caught at the bottom of the screen is killed.

The NES ended up banned at my aunt's home after I introduced this tactic to my younger cousins at a family get together.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One of my favorite games of all time. Felt incomplete when I did not own the game for a period of time. Haha. Definitely agree on NES port vs arcade. The Simpson's arcade game is probably my favorite arcade cab.
    Haven't played C in a while. Most of my games are in my storage unit for meow.
    Now it is the beginning of
    a fantastic story! Let us
    make a Journey to
    the cave of Monters!
    Good luck!

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Where is this alleged difficulty? I counterstopped this game on the fourth day of playing. Not exactly a lot of hours spent learning the game by any means.

Definitely one of the easier Konami titles, particularly with subsequent loops having minor difficulty increases (oh they're there but easy to handle. Hardest thing with this game was the 1UP system which puts the pressure on but you don't notice or care unless you're trying to counterstop.)

There are probably several games everyone says are easy but I think are hard.

I heard Super Contra was easier but I thought it might be harder than the first one. Haven't played it yet but do want to buy a copy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Contra was the first great co-op game of it's era, atleast based on games I played. But without that 30 lives code I don't think I would have ever beat it, specifically because of the last 2 or 3 levels. They were super hard. But overall this game is tons of fun and the music is catchy as well.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    matt_average

Contra's great and all, but Super C is far better. Everyone forgets Super C.

I love the overhead stages rather than the "3D" ones from the first game, and the sloping terrain in the levels is a great addition. I think it's tougher than the first game....I enjoy a challenge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Contra for the NES is iconic and easily one of the best platformers for the system. Throw in the 30 lives code and you have the stuff of legends. Like so many, Contra was the first game I owned for my Nintendo, and beating it with a friend is just what you did when I was a kid.

Interesting how the Famicom version is all souped up with cut scenes and moving background animation.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRetroVideoGameAddict View Post
    I just wish that it wasn't so expensive on eBay and in small retro video game retail stores, Contra should be no more than $10 at max because it's a pretty common game unlike something like Dragon Warrior IV that didn't see a widespread release.
    I agree. It's a shame that the price tag is so high on this very non-rare classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing View Post
    Contra's great and all, but Super C is far better. Everyone forgets Super C.

I love the overhead stages rather than the "3D" ones from the first game, and the sloping terrain in the levels is a great addition. I think it's tougher than the first game....I enjoy a challenge.
    Super C is indeed tougher and a great game to boot, but I'm not a fan of the overhead stages of Super C butting into the usual left to right affair, though they are still fun in their own right. The "3D" stages, while by no means show stoppers, are uniquely Contra and are interesting intervals in the game, giving us the nifty boss battles they did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FoxNtd View Post
    Where is this alleged difficulty? I counterstopped this game on the fourth day of playing. Not exactly a lot of hours spent learning the game by any means.

Definitely one of the easier Konami titles, particularly with subsequent loops having minor difficulty increases (oh they're there but easy to handle. Hardest thing with this game was the 1UP system which puts the pressure on but you don't notice or care unless you're trying to counterstop.)

There are probably several games everyone says are easy but I think are hard.

I heard Super Contra was easier but I thought it might be harder than the first one. Haven't played it yet but do want to buy a copy.
    Agreed i still don't see how any one can say contra is hard.It's mostly trail and error for that game and once you get each level down it's easy.The only time contra get's hard,is trying for that high score in beating the game multiple times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    matt_average

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post

Super C is indeed tougher and a great game to boot, but I'm not a fan of the overhead stages of Super C butting into the usual left to right affair, though they are still fun in their own right. The "3D" stages, while by no means show stoppers, are uniquely Contra and are interesting intervals in the game, giving us the nifty boss battles they did.

I'm biased towards top-down shooters, so that's probably why I like those levels more than the "3D" levels.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's true, everyone back in the day played or owned Contra. Whenever someone brings up games to me, I inevitably skew toward classic games and people who haven't even uttered "NES" in 20 years will get a big grin on their face and say "Remember Contra?!?!" It's one of those.

I actually just got Contra last Friday. It's one of the very few "essential" games I didn't yet have for my NES collection. Not a bad price either, $17.
    I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe.
    Me blog, Halcyon Gaming
    Me Youtube, Captain Natron

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'll be the weird one then, who never played this game as a kid. I used to play Super C (arcade cab) at a local pizza place quite often though. I did finally buy Contra for the NES back around 2005 but I haven't seen my copy in years. Not 100% sure where it disappeared to...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

What no love for Contra Force? I have it, it's a fun game and yeah I know it's not 'official.' I've got all 3 and Super C I think is harder than the first one, just more going on and more angles and AI to work with. Contra Force is the nastiest of the lot though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    What no love for Contra Force? I have it, it's a fun game and yeah I know it's not 'official.' I've got all 3 and Super C I think is harder than the first one, just more going on and more angles and AI to work with. Contra Force is the nastiest of the lot though.
    Being that I never had an NES as a kid I missed out on Super C and Contra Force. I didn't even know they existed until recent years. I love the original Contra, and while it isn't what I'd call easy, I wouldn't call it incredibly hard either. I recently picked up Super C and Contra Force is on my ever long NES wish list. I can't wait to give it a try.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Lotsa love for Contra. Been thinking about doing my own take on the Contra HQ concept soon-ish. It's a great series, though it seems a bit "thin" in content compared to something like Castlevania or Gradius (the other two "big three" Konami franchises) in that there's not so much to keep fans interested in the way of backstory and the like. The gameplay's solid through almost all the iterations of the series, though, which is what counts. In fact, even some "Hong Kong originals" remixing various games do very well.

I haven't played the Saturn/PSX games yet, so no comment on those. The worst - but perhaps not truly "bad" - game in the series I've seen so far is Contra III for Game Boy Color. I don't remember enough specifics to really say what went wrong, other than that it seemed underwhelming.

One of the more interesting releases is a Game n' Watch, or Tiger Electronics style really, handheld game. These were released in at least both US and Japanese markets, and used the same long surfboard-like plastic shell as some other games (Top Gun, Gradius, a TMNT game I think, some others), and actually was fun to play.

I think I favor the original arcade release a bit more than the NES/Famicom versions, and I'm waiting on the arcade board to show up any day now. I hadn't realized it but for a long time that has been probably the #1 game I wanted to pick up.
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 05-22-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My local YMCA had the Contra arcade game when I was a teenager. It was damn hard.

I also have memories of the NES version being very difficult. However, when I played through it again last year, it wasn't that difficult. Super C was even easier.

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

Easily one of the best games every made.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've always liked Contra, but it wasn't a game I owned so I either played it at a friends house or the arcade.

I don't know if it was because I didn't own it or it's not my particular type of game, but I was never was particularly good at it. I don't think I could even beat it with the 30 lives code.

I did like the change up of levels. I thought the 3D levels added character to the game. I think that is one of the things that makes it a classic today. Just as people remember the name Contra, they tend to remember the 'barrel' level as well.