Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Resident Evil Games: What are the Best Versions?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Resident Evil Games: What are the Best Versions?

I've been searching forever and I can't figure out what the best versions of the Resident Evil games are. I have beat all of the PS1 versions except for the long box version. Code Veronica on Dreamcast, 4 on Gamecube, and have 5 on PC. I also think I beat Zero on gamecube but am unsure if their are better versions.

I would just like to know what you all think the best versions are. The only stipulations are they must not have content taken out, and if possible are the best looking versions. I will not be willing to take HD resolution if it means missing content. Furthermore I don't care about content that must be unlocked in one version but is made available in the beginning in some versions. And not concerned about extra art work and such. I'll just get a Resident Evil art book if I really need to see some RE art.

Here are the versions I know of some may be the same game i'm unsure. It's been a long time. So just copy and paste, add you favorite version and why briefly.

I noticed the dreamcast resident evil 2 seems expensive. Why is that?

Resident Evil (longbox)
    Resident Evil Directors Cut
    Resident Evil 2
    Resident Evil 3
    Resident Evil Code Veronica
    Resident Evil 4
    Resident Evil 5 (already have the PC version)
    Resident Evil 6 (thinking of getting the pc version)

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Okay, here we go.

Favorite RE1 - PSOne, non-GH Director's Cut (I've heard the Greatest Hits changes the music, which is a big deal to me).

FWIW, I consider the REmake to be a different game, the same way I consider Peter Jackson's King Kong to be a different movie from Meriam C. Cooper's.

Favorite RE2 - Dreamcast. It's not really that different from the PSOne Greatest Hits release, but I just like some of the cool things that go along with the Dreamcast, such as being able to see your health and ammo count by looking at the VMU. Really though, for an average player all RE2s are about the same.

Favorite RE3 - again, Dreamcast.

Favorite Code Veronica - Again, Dreamcast, but there's an additional reason this time: the Dreamcast doesn't have all the cutscenes that were added to later releases, in some cases this makes a small but noteworthy impact on the story. It's kinda similar to why some people prefer the Original Star Wars trilogy to the Special Editions, although in this case the difference is nowhere near that extreme.

Favorite RE Zero - Ummm... isn't this a Gamecube exclusive?

Favorite RE4 - I've only played the Gamecube one so I can't really say anything.

Also, don't listen to the critics: RE Survivor rocks.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by greedostick View Post
    I've been searching forever and I can't figure out what the best versions of the Resident Evil games are. I have beat all of the PS1 versions except for the long box version. Code Veronica on Dreamcast, 4 on Gamecube, and have 5 on PC. I also think I beat Zero on gamecube but am unsure if their are better versions.

I would just like to know what you all think the best versions are. The only stipulations are they must not have content taken out, and if possible are the best looking versions. I will not be willing to take HD resolution if it means missing content. Furthermore I don't care about content that must be unlocked in one version but is made available in the beginning in some versions. And not concerned about extra art work and such. I'll just get a Resident Evil art book if I really need to see some RE art.

Here are the versions I know of some may be the same game i'm unsure. It's been a long time. So just copy and paste, add you favorite version and why briefly.

I noticed the dreamcast resident evil 2 seems expensive. Why is that?

Resident Evil (longbox)
    Resident Evil Directors Cut
    Resident Evil 2
    Resident Evil 3
    Resident Evil Code Veronica
    Resident Evil 4
    Resident Evil 5 (already have the PC version)
    Resident Evil 6 (thinking of getting the pc version)
    There are 5 versions of rewident evil 1 to consider (6 if u count the jap release) the original longbox release has the least content so skip that, then comes the directors cut which added dualshock support and came with a demo disc, then the saturn release which had different character designs that were more fluid in movement but beefier models and more pixelated as well as adding new costumes and battle mode minigame exclusive to saturn and lastly came the greatest hits version that added all the content of the directors cut but with a remixed yet inferior soundtrack, best version?

...gamecube REmake, this is my favorite re title i think, also worth mentioning that the jap release was uncut and had the original slightly more violent intro cutscene

Best version of re2 is a toss up between. Dreamcast which you can run in 480p via the dreamcast vga box giving u the best looking version along with art viewer or you can get re2 for the n64 which also has higher resolution mode with the expansion pack (but not 480 p) and has a couple of new files strewn about explaining the building of the spencer mansion in re1

For re3 get the dreamcast version for the same reasons as listed or re2 dreamcast

Code veronica get the hd release on psn or xbla

Re4 ive only played on gamecube but i hear it looks better than the shoddy port to the ps2 but ps2 has extra content, just get the hd release on psn

Re5.....dont get re5

But in case u still want it, i think theres a gold release with all the dlc inluded

Re6 i have no idea, who cares looks wack

Also resident evil 0, survivor, gun survivor, and the. 2 ps2 online titles were only released unde 1 version so there u go
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ace_McCannon

Throwing in my two cents. Not sure if this is sacrilege, but I love the Gamecube version of the original RE. Is their anything different about the Cube version other than the updated graphics? Also not to sound like a fanboy, I also like the 64 version of RE2 and I think the Cube version of RE4 is better than the PS2.

Cherry (Level 1) TheRetroVideoGameAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Of all the Resident Evil games that have been released throughout the years I've only played the first 3 and all of which on the Playstation. I did tinker around with Resident Evil 2 on the N64 a little bit but I felt the game was best on the Playstation and I think of the series as a Playstation exclusive, even though it really isn't. My favorite in the series was the first one, specifically the "Directors Cut" which I have played through at least 5 or 6 times. That game has so many memorable moments and whenever I play the game it just feels like "home", I can't really explain it but it was freakin' amazing back in 1996 when it first came out and there was nothing truly like it out at the time. My second favorite would be the 2nd game followed by the 3rd game as my 3rd favorite, so I guess for me in goes in order of 1-3 but with the first game being far and away my absolute favorite.
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!
    *UPDATED* on 11/4/13 The Retro Video Game Addict reviews: Tekken 2 for the PS1!

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

Let's see now...

RE1 - While I still like the original Playstation version, I love the Gamecube REMake best. It took everything great about the original and just amped it up and added some extras like new areas and plot additions.

RE2 - I like the Dreamcast version best. Basically the same as the Playstation version but with sharper graphics and ability to see your health on the VMU

RE3 - Also like the Dreamcast version best for the same reasons as RE2 plus you got to choose Jill's costume fro the start of the game

RE4 - Gamecube version although I still like the PS2 version for the extra stuff added like Ada's missions

RE:CV - Tie for me between DC and PS2

Also throwing in some love for RE:0, Umbrella and Darkside Chronicles and....Dead Aim! Yeah, there, I said it! Actually not too bad of an RE offshoot...
    Mika: Where are you taking me, Gillian?
    Gillian: To look at videos on YouTube...
    Mika: *sigh* No more videos of a drunk Harry dancing with a dead Snatcher...
    Giliian: Nope, it's better...Its LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos!
    Gillian: And after that, you should also visit
    The Policenauts Paradise and Snatcher Shrine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by M.Buster2184 View Post
    Throwing in my two cents. Not sure if this is sacrilege, but I love the Gamecube version of the original RE. Is their anything different about the Cube version other than the updated graphics? Also not to sound like a fanboy, I also like the 64 version of RE2 and I think the Cube version of RE4 is better than the PS2.
    If I remember correctly, the GameCube version required you to light the zombies on fire to kill them. Am I correct? If so than that is the main difference aside from the graphical increase because in the original Playstation version you could kill zombies just by shooting them a few times.
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

Quote Originally Posted by TheRetroVideoGameAddict View Post
    If I remember correctly, the GameCube version required you to light the zombies on fire to kill them. Am I correct? If so than that is the main difference aside from the graphical increase because in the original Playstation version you could kill zombies just by shooting them a few times.

I don't remember the whole "lighting on fire" thing, but I do remember that they added the "crimson head" zombies which were zombies that came back to life after you killed them and were much harder to kill again..
    Mika: Where are you taking me, Gillian?
    Gillian: To look at videos on YouTube...
    Mika: *sigh* No more videos of a drunk Harry dancing with a dead Snatcher...
    Giliian: Nope, it's better...Its LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos!
    Gillian: And after that, you should also visit
    The Policenauts Paradise and Snatcher Shrine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Was RE1 released on the DS? I am sure that I played through that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    Was RE1 released on the DS? I am sure that I played through that.
    Yes, it was. It came out in either mid 2006 or early 2007 on the Nintendo DS.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Scotterpop's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheRetroVideoGameAddict View Post
    Yes, it was. It came out in either mid 2006 or early 2007 on the Nintendo DS.
    Yep, it was called "Resident Evil: Deadly Silence." An excellent port of the PS1 original with some extra content.

As far as comparing gameplay quality between systems, I have to say that the cutscenes for Resident Evil 2 look MUCH better on the PS1 than they do on the N64. I guess the CD-ROM format is better suited for FMV than cartridges of the time.

If you haven't played the RE remake on the Gamecube, GET IT! It's an amazing exclusive and a fantastic re-imagining of the first game. That opening cinematic is one of my favorites of any game.
    Death to Videodrome! Long live the new flesh!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Quote Originally Posted by Scotterpop View Post
    As far as comparing gameplay quality between systems, I have to say that the cutscenes for Resident Evil 2 look MUCH better on the PS1 than they do on the N64. I guess the CD-ROM format is better suited for FMV than cartridges of the time.
    Oh, no question. It was a size issue. The N64 cartridge didn't have the space for the cut scenes. They had to use some pretty heavy compression to get them to fit. I'm quite impressed that they look as good as they do considering.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks. You all have been very helpful. I have very clear memories of playing resident evil directors cut on ps1 in high school. And I played zero on gamecube but I don't remember it. When you guys say the original on GameCube are you referring to zero? And is it the same as directors cut?

I think I will go with the suggestions here. And for the recommended PlayStation network games the price seems right. That will leave me extra to put toward the dreamcast versions.

Finally, if I remember correctly I thought between RE longbox and RE Directors cut the difference was in the longbox version there where scenes where Chris would go crazy that were cut out of later versions? Is that correct?
    Last edited by greedostick; 05-22-2013 at 11:05 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

When you guys say the original on GameCube are you referring to zero?
    They're referring to the REmake. Resident Evil Zero is a prequel. And no, the REmake is not the same as the director's cut, in the same way that Jackson's King Kong is not the same movie as the 1930s original.

NOTE: If you go for the Director's Cut, make sure it is NOT the Greatest Hits edition (it'll be black-label, and will include a demo of RE2). Not unless the soundtrack doesn't make much difference to you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

For Resident Evil, the GameCube is absolutely the way to go.

The original Resident Evil 1 has a spectacular remake that's easily among the best games of that generation,.
    Resident Evil 0 is GameCube Exclusive.
    Resident Evil 2 and 3 for GameCube are merely ports of the PS1 originals, but thanks to the GameCube's format load times are nonexistent and for those who just want to enjoy the game and solve puzzles, both games offer the ability to start with the most powerful weapon in the game with infinite ammo. This is only optional of course - you can still play the games as they were intended.
    Resident Evil 4 was developed specifically for the GameCube hardware. The PS2 port that came out later, the Wii version and even the HD one on PS3 and 360 can't quite emulate some of the more advanced lighting effects that were programmed specifically for the weird GameCube's hardware. If you wanna see RE4 at it's best, you gotta go GameCube original.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Awesome, I think I have all the info I need for now. Thanks a lot!

If you all are willing I would love to know about the metal Gear games as well. From Metal Gear Solid and later. I'm a bit confused by those gamecube ones, and then the ps2 remakes.

One of them has the Metal Gear MSX version in it right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Awesome, I think I have all the info I need for now. Thanks a lot!

If you all are willing I would love to know about the metal Gear games as well. From Metal Gear Solid and later. I'm a bit confused by those gamecube ones, and then the ps2 remakes.

One of them has the Metal Gear MSX version in it right?
    Yes, there's a version of MGS3 that includes the two MSX games. That version is this one, with the green case. If buying online, always ask if its the green case and if its a two-disc set.

Basically, with MGS:

MGS1 is more or less a PSOne exclusive. There was a PC version (which I've heard is good, but might not run on modern OSes). Gamecube got a remake called The Twin Snakes, but I've heard that was terrible, so stick to the PSOne original.

MGS2 had a re-release called MGS2: Substance. I don't think it really matters what version you get, but Substance has more extras (mainly, more VR missions and optional side-stories called "Snake Tales.")

There's a box set called "The Essential Collection" which includes MGS1, MGS2: Substance, and MGS3: Subsistence, but there is a MAJOR drawback: No MSX games. However, it does have all the OTHER special features from the re-releases of each version. Another thing to look out for is there's a part where you're asked to look at the back of the "CD case" to find Meryl's frequency in part one, but in the box set its in MGS1's manual instead.
    Last edited by Edmond Dantes; 05-24-2013 at 07:16 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Also, don't forget about the GameBoy Color Metal Gear Solid, known in Japan as Ghost Babel.

GBC MGS takes the style of the two MSX games but refines them with modern MGS mechanics to create the best of the bunch; Metal Gear Solid on GBC is easily the best Metal Gear game not on a 3D system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Also, don't forget about the GameBoy Color Metal Gear Solid, known in Japan as Ghost Babel.

GBC MGS takes the style of the two MSX games but refines them with modern MGS mechanics to create the best of the bunch; Metal Gear Solid on GBC is easily the best Metal Gear game not on a 3D system.
    I agree with the above entirely. It is, however, pretty easy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Only by contrast to the 3D games, which boarder on extreme frustration.