Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Resident Evil Games: What are the Best Versions?

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Preferred port of RE1 is the Saturn version. I consider the Gamecube remake a different game as well.......setting zombies on fire? yeah, Its a different game.

RE2 & 3 - Gamecube ports for the lack of loadtimes. I still prefer to play the original ps1 ports for nostalgic value.

Code Veronica - Original Japanese Dreamcast version.

Thought RE4 sucked and havnt played anything beyond it. No zombies=no more fun for me.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Anyway, what about the PC versions of RE1, 2, and 3? I might have thought those would be the most superior versions of all, though I haven't looked into it at.
    I don't know about 1 and 3, but RE2:Platinum for Windows 98 is a good port, but not the best. On my comp, the FMV sequences had a huge stuttering problem (often to the point where they'd be still videos with audio running). It's not my PC's fault either--no other game has given me this issue.

The Dreamcast port has everything that's in the PC version, but its geared specifically for one console and so (ideally) has no performance issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, after reading this thread I felt the need to replay some classic Resident Evil. I downloaded the RE1-3 collection from PSN and started up RE2.

First thing I noticed was that this was the US version, rather than the PAL one. The main menu had an "arrange mode" on it, which was a bit of a surprise. I decided to start with that. It's a bit of a shock to find an infinite ammo sub machine gun in your inventory right from the get go! There's no arrange mode option from the get go in the standard PAL version I've got on disc. Just when you think you've seen everything this pops up!

EDIT: I've always had a soft spot for the way these games looked. Pleased to say that they still look excellent today. It's good to be able to see all the detail that's in the backgrounds.
    Last edited by Daltone; 06-08-2013 at 12:20 PM.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    In addition to having a hi-res mode and Dolby Surround Sound, the N64 version also has the most important feature: an option for normal, analog controls.

For some reason, the Dreamcast and GameCube version went back to the old horrible "tank" controls and removed the other option.
    Honestly, I've never understood all the bitching about tank controls in the old RE games (not saying you're bitching mind you). With the way the camera changes happen in the games, tank controls are the only reasonable way to have things set up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    Honestly, I've never understood all the bitching about tank controls in the old RE games (not saying you're bitching mind you). With the way the camera changes happen in the games, tank controls are the only reasonable way to have things set up.
    Up to RE1 and 2it was understandable. RE3 it was getting a bit tired. (You could move and shoot in Dino Crisis and Silent Hill couln't you? )

I have no idea wtf was going on with the controls in RE4 onwards. Someone needed a slap there.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

RE1: Original PSX or GCN REmake
    RE2: 480p Dreamcast
    RE3: 480p Dreamcast
    CV: Biohazard: Code Veronica Complete 480p on Dreamcast
    RE4: I prefer the Wii version - it's the GCN version with the PS2's extra content, plus pointer aiming (and GCN controls if you don't like the Wiimote) and proper widescreen. The HD versions are ports of the PS2 version.
    Last edited by zaneiken; 06-16-2013 at 02:28 PM.