0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Default Genesis Model 1 Non-TMSS

How much would a non-TMSS Genesis model 1 be worth? Is it worth any more than a TMSS model?
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    How much would a non-TMSS Genesis model 1 be worth? Is it worth any more than a TMSS model?
    Only if you have a complete mint box with the altered beast pack in. I got 5 in the past 2 months in lots on ebay with games and controllers, for less than 60$. Got one 2 weeks ago with 5 CIB games (zombies ate my neighbors and shadowrun!) and 2 controllers for 55$. I have seen some listed as non-tmss on ebay for 80$ and they sold it, but usually people dont even know what it is, so I get them for around 20$-30$.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Ah, interesting. That's pretty much the same as a TMSS. I just found one sitting around and was curious. I think I'll just hold on to it. Thanks for the info.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I doubt it's worth any more or less than any other early model 1. Though I agree the box may change that.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Insert Coin (Level 0) figment1988's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    I doubt it's worth any more or less than any other early model 1. Though I agree the box may change that.
    Same here, especially the Altered Beast box from August 1989 to May 1991.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Its still the best sega genesis to get, so non-tmss might pickup some value in the next few years. Get them while their still cheap! I dont know why sega stuff has such low value compared to nintendo and super nes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    Its still the best sega genesis to get, so non-tmss might pickup some value in the next few years. Get them while their still cheap! I dont know why sega stuff has such low value compared to nintendo and super nes.
    Yeah, I don't know. I've been wondering the same thing. I'm now working on completing my Genesis collection while the games are mostly cheap. I have one model 1 box in mint condition but it's the Sonic 1 bundle. I wouldn't sell it anyways.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

One way to tell vintage on the Sonic 1 or Core boxes (w/out knowing the serial number) is from the inside tray. Styrofoam was used from the beginning through 1991, 1992's mostly the clear plastic tray, while 1993's are the cardboard tray. Some of those years were made in Taiwan and Japan, but I think most of the 93's did not have High Definition Graphics on the case of the system. Those have slightly inferior audio, though still better than the stinky yet stereo audio out of the Genesis 2. I've also seen two variations of the Altered Beast boxes, the usual one, and one that I think was from 92 or 93.

As for the TMSS screen, well, I grew up with that as a kid playing the Genesis, so I actually like having it. As I always say, by the time you switch on the console, and sit back down, it's gone. IMO, it's no more necessary to get than any other model 1. Though as I said the ones without High Def. on them have inferior sound, which most people would never notice anyway. About the only Genesis I don't recommend simply for play use is the Genesis 3.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Actually, there are three revisions of the model 1 Genesis. There are some without high definition graphics written on them that have the same sound processor, so the audio is the same. You just need to watch out for the third revision which which has the inferior audio. I feel the same way you do about the non-TMSS models. I really don't care about them. I don't want to play any unlicensed games and I also remember always seeing it when playing as a kid so I actually like seeing the licensing screen. It was a little strange not to see it on this unit. As for the innerd of my box, they cardboard. We got it for Christmas in 1992 so that sounds about right.

Also, I recently picked up a Genesis 3 again. Only for the mere fact that I'm doing a YouTube video and I'm going to go over the different models and revisions of the Genesis. I also bought a terrible 3rd revision model 1 for the same reason. Good thing I only paid five bucks for it.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    It is the best Genesis to get, and since they are somewhat cheap because alot of people dont know about them, there really isnt much point in owning another genesis to play around with. Ive got 2 in case one craps out on me, I also own a x-eye but I dont see the point in wearing that down when I can just use the genesis.

I think they will become more sought after as time goes on and more people do research and find out what makes them special. I really dont think they will skyrocket in value considering they really arent rare or super-hard to find. Its the type of system you would be likely to find at a flea market or yardsale for 5-10$ so rushing to buy one on ebay might not be the best decision if you are looking for one.

I dont know why sega stuff is much cheaper compared to nintendo or snes games, its always been a little mystery to me. I think alot of people just want to collect nes and snes instead because they just think its better. There are alot of rare/hard to find games for genesis which can be obtained at very reasonable prices, especially when you compare them to rare nintendo games. Look at how much Waynes world is for nintendo (loose) compared to the prices for genesis games like shining force 2, splatter house 2/3, and other hard to find playable genesis titles CIB.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Bumping this for relevance. I was going to ask the same but now it's been a few years. Worth any more?