Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Exposing VGA (Video Game Grading Authority)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Exposing VGA (Video Game Grading Authority)

Dangerboy, a long time contributor to DP, has put up a great video showing how VGA is nothing more than a pyramid scheme, and does nothing to actually perserve games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BbHDMXxm04

If you look at VGA auctions, most of them do not sell for any more than a regular sealed copy of the game, let alone the $100+ extra it takes to actually grade the game. If you look at the supplemental video, it also shows how easy it is to create a fake misprint, something that VGA actually graded. Also shown in the video is that the item itself was damaged after being sealed in the case, proving that the cases do not actually provide full protection for the game.

And let's face it, people who use VGA are not interested in preservation. Take this auction of a NES prototype. The seller explicitly states that the ROM image of the prototype has not been dumped. How can you justify sealling up a prototype without dumping the binary? The memory on EPROMs do not last forever, especially when they are allowed to be exposed to open light like they are in this auction.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Wow, nice video. I found the part about the ventilation in the cases kinda shocking, I always assumed they were air-tight.
    If they were encasing them professionally Id think they would all wear gloves and do the procedure in an area with humidity control. I mean, that seems very basic to me. OF COURSE if air can get in so can more moisture. OF COURSE it will oxidize over time.

Ive never understood the point in getting anything graded, but I also have never understood the outrage against doing it.
    Lets face it, most of the people here own more video games than they have time to play. Placing sealed copies of video games in plastic tombs at 50-100$ each will not make opened video games scarce by any means. Quite frankly I really dont care what people do with their money, if someone wants to waste tons of $$ building a VGA collection or getting games graded I dont see how that affects me at all. I dont see how some chump spending hundreds or thousands on a sealed nintendo game will make a loose playable cart more expensive. Totally different buyers; hardcore collectors with alot of money to blow looking to build museum-like libraries are not gonna care about loose/used games, and simple player/collectors (aka people with brains) who have absolutely no intention on spending over 15$ for contra/mario/or any other game.

And most importantly, those cases can be opened. Just give me 5 minutes alone with one and Im sure I can get it open

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

As much as I've grown tired of the VGA ordeal, this is a good video that clearly and concisely points out most of the problems with the whole thing. It sums up pretty much everything that needs to be said in under 20 minutes.

I'm just waiting for the day someone pays to get a game graded, cracks open the case, resubmits it, and gets a completely different grade. I'm convinced there's no meaningful quality assurance going on that can't be reproduced by any semi-diligent consumer. It's unbelievable how an organization could claim a particular expertise, forgo actually explaining said expertise (likely by filing their actual methodology under "trade secrets"), and then convince people to actually trust them based on their word alone.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    I'm convinced there's no meaningful quality assurance
    Thats the problem, there is no quality assurance or proof of expertise by the graders.
    Now you can argue that the case will preserve the seal or condition, but I think one major reason people have stuff graded or buy graded games is they think the grade PROVES that the games are authentically sealed. If you buy a sealed game on ebay how the hell can you tell the seal is genuine by just looking at pictures or reading a description? You cant ever be 100% sure. I think people see the grading and think 'well this game was checked by some kind of expert, so the seal has to be legit'. The fact that there is proof of VGA grading open games and grading opened games that have been re-sealed is evidence that 1), the VGA encasing is no guarantee of an authentic seal; 2) there is a good chance they will grade anything (within reason) for money; and 3) THEY ARE NOT EXPERTS IN ANYTHING IN ANY WAY. Like seriously, where the hell do you go to get training on looking at shrink wrap thats 10-20 years old and giving a definite answer to whether the game is authentically sealed or not?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've heard rumors that VGA is a guy in his garage. The fact that they "SLAB" opened items such as the NWC Gold is a joke.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I can imagine how many peoples heads would implode if this was up on NA.

Sure it's opinion, but isn't that the point of an investigative reporting when you can not get the target of your piece to cooperate and explain things? I've always had a problem with VGA and he added some reasons. I never realized how that pricing tier chart worked and how it works much like a pyramid scheme. I do realize clearly they're full of shit when they're too afraid to post what their standards are and who their qualified reviewers are establishing exactly why they're experts. I've seen people at NA I'd trust far more who are friendly and super into pristine sealed stuff I'd trust far more than that smoke shrouded service for authentication. And what is up with the blister packed VGA cased MGS thing on that video? Clearly, that's a fucked up book and look at the lettering of the grading. And what of the qualified (open but not used) Namco PS1 CD. Claimed opened but not used, he makes a great point anyone could submit the same 'case or manual' art error and get themselves a unique cased gem too which is fraud.

He makes a great point about the air hole there and oxidation with old cartridges, it really is a glorified sneeze guard. If you fear oxidation or sweat, wouldn't creating a true airless vacuum in the case stop the sweats as there would be no environment inside the case so you couldn't get water with no air (H20, no 0 no water.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Panzerfuzion View Post
    I've heard rumors that VGA is a guy in his garage. The fact that they "SLAB" opened items such as the NWC Gold is a joke.
    I doubt it. Considering that the company grades a large variety of items and in seemingly pretty large volume, it would be REALLY tough to do as a one or two man show.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great video, I see more and more prototypes getting graded recently, this is just wrong and even more if the game has not even been dumped.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Atamos View Post
    Great video, I see more and more prototypes getting graded recently, this is just wrong and even more if the game has not even been dumped.
    ... is this a joke?

Are they really slabbing prototypes? What the fuck is wrong with these people?
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    ... is this a joke?

Are they really slabbing prototypes? What the fuck is wrong with these people?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-NES...item2ec830905e

It just boggles my mind why the seller had this prototype SEALED IN PLASTIC to preserve it, but didn't even dump the data on it. EPROMs are not a permanent method of data storage! If you look at the images, the VGA didn't even cover the UV window on the chip; so much for them being the experts. I hope he got that extra UV protection on the case.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Wow, so what if you want to play that game and it doesn't work. He mentions it's tested, but does he have this in writing? You're screwed out of 50K if it's broke.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ryaan1234 View Post
    I hope he got that extra UV protection on the case.
    Even if he did it wouldn't stop the damage. These cases are made to breath, that opening lets in regular light. It's like dealing with undeveloped film, any bit of light will damage it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I can imagine how many peoples heads would implode if this was up on NA.
    Go post the link over there and lets see what happens

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

VGA Wants that money. They will slab anything you pay them enough.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Perfect video! VGA has long been bullshit, but this is proof-positive it's nothing but a scam.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Send rare item to VGA. List on eBay for way more money than it'll ever sell for. Profit?

Derp.

Strawberry (Level 2) FrankSerpico's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hang around with a fair amount of people into the retro gaming scene and they aren't even aware that the VGA exists. I suspect the whole enterprise is only being kept alive by circle jerking morons from the NA forums.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

capitalism at its best.

Like it or not, long as people pay the money, they'll continue. They attempted to fill an odd niche market. These types of things exist all over the place in other markets.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is the plastic really as indestructible as the video makes it look?

That's scary to think about....

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FrankSerpico View Post
    I hang around with a fair amount of people into the retro gaming scene and they aren't even aware that the VGA exists. I suspect the whole enterprise is only being kept alive by circle jerking morons from the NA forums.
    It wouldn't be a stretch to think that it's run by someone at NA, even if just a lurker.