Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Exposing VGA (Video Game Grading Authority)

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

Do they have a slab big enough for arcades? I want them to grade those too!

It is also a prototype so it should be slabbed... Right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Informative video. Just want to first say that I am not a supporter of VGA, although there are several folks here I consider good collector friends I know do it. If people want to collect/slab/"coffin" VGA and that is their thing, good for them. In my game collection which is rather extensive I don't have a single VGA item. It is a personal choice. There is no doubt the aspect that the market of these items long term is questionable, the reason why I have not done it. I would just like to say and have said in the past, collect what you are passionate about. I personally don't have a problem with re sellers, as my game collection needs to thank many of them . Bottom line like others have said: If you think something is silly, ridiculous, over priced, or not your thing...don't buy it.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There appear to be posts missing that were here yesterday. I think somebody is censoring this thread. I thought I'd put that out there.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Quote Originally Posted by Ryaan1234 View Post
    There appear to be posts missing that were here yesterday. I think somebody is censoring this thread. I thought I'd put that out there.
    I'd rather this stay on topic, but I did chuckle at the removed post last night. It's funny how some things never go away.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The bottom line is, VGA is a plight on the gaming community. Weather you can afford it or not VGA goes against everything that is right in the world. Video games were created as a distraction from the truth of reality... The reality that we are all going to die. When you package that truth up into a peice of plastic you are packing up a peice of a child's soul. You're taking away from the psychokinetic energy that makes us whole. Without video games we are only a partial peice of are true self walking the plaines lost. Don't let the evils from within package up your souls, don't let them trap your childhood into a peice of plastic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ryaan1234 View Post

I think you need to relax

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I collect VGA games, I didn't watch the video, but I also loathe VGA Qualified grading. It certainly is a joke and people have frankensteined items together (taking a Mint box and then finding Mint contents). It's a joke and some people just use it to profit. I have no desires to own any Qualified games.

And personally, sealed games have been an acquired taste. I started out as a CIB guy and still own at least 1,000 CIBs and a few sets. But CIBs are pretty easy for the most part if you can afford them. Sealed collecting adds an extra dimension of difficulty. It's like the difference between Mario and Ninja Gaiden, both are great games, but Mario is generally a cakewalk while Ninja Gaiden may make you break controllers. And if you're brand new to video games, you probably would start with Mario. Same thing applies to collecting, some people want to collect more difficult stuff for the fun.

And also, for the record, I do believe games are meant to be played. However, as a married adult with adult responsbilities, I simply don't have the time to play games like I would want to. Collecting is a nice adult hobby that keeps me in tune with video games, even if I don't have enough time to play them all.

VGA has some flaws but I'm comfortable paying for the service they provide.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by Panzerfuzion View Post
    The bottom line is, VGA is a plight on the gaming community. Weather you can afford it or not VGA goes against everything that is right in the world. Video games were created as a distraction from the truth of reality... The reality that we are all going to die. When you package that truth up into a peice of plastic you are packing up a peice of a child's soul. You're taking away from the psychokinetic energy that makes us whole. Without video games we are only a partial peice of are true self walking the plaines lost. Don't let the evils from within package up your souls, don't let them trap your childhood into a peice of plastic.
    This Pinocchio syndrome is so out of control.

Games are not meant to do ANYTHING. In most cases we are talking about plastic,paper some cardboard and a circuit board. No heart beat. No brainwaves. No hopes and dreams. No soul.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by otoko View Post
    Do they have a slab big enough for arcades? I want them to grade those too!

It is also a prototype so it should be slabbed... Right?
    If you can document the origin they might agree to it. Seems almost anything video game related is fair game these days.

Here is a megaman sketch (not mine) that they just authenticated.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonebone View Post
    I collect VGA games, I didn't watch the video, but I also loathe VGA Qualified grading.

VGA has some flaws but I'm comfortable paying for the service they provide.
    SO you just want them to put your games in plastic boxes?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by JakeM View Post
    Plastic in plastic !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What part of grading do you not understand? It's more about A) Assigning an independent grade that is regarded as "Fact" (even though it's not, but that's another thread) and B) Authenticating that the seal is legit.

The acrylic cases are just a fancy bonus. And it certainly takes the guesswork out of the word "MINT". You buy the same game from 100 different sellers described as Mint and you probably get grades from anywhere to 75 to 90 if you're lucky.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What part of grading do you not understand? It's more about A) Assigning an independent grade that is regarded as "Fact" (even though it's not, but that's another thread) and B) Authenticating that the seal is legit.

The acrylic cases are just a fancy bonus. And it certainly takes the guesswork out of the word "MINT". You buy the same game from 100 different sellers described as Mint and you probably get grades from anywhere to 75 to 90 if you're lucky.
    I collect VGA games, I didn't watch the video, but I also loathe VGA Qualified grading. It certainly is a joke... VGA has some flaws but I'm comfortable paying for the service they provide.
    So.....if you hate their grading, then all youre getting from them that you like is putting your games in plastic boxes. Id do it for half the price for you without the grading stickers. You should watch the video, it shows that the boxes arent air tight so theres no preservation, they are sneeze guards as he said.

And Earthworm Jim, games are more special than toys, they come alive on your tv and do fancier stuff, which is why the idea of putting them in plastic is so weird to some, including myself.
    Last edited by JakeM; 05-30-2013 at 06:23 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

So.....if you hate their grading, then all youre getting from them that you like is putting your games in plastic boxes. Id do it for half the price for you without the grading stickers. You should watch the video, it shows that the boxes arent air tight so theres no preservation, they are sneeze guards as he said.
    You obviously have no understanding of what people are discussing here. Qualified grading is different than sealed grading. A VGA qualified game is one that is theoretically new, but not factory sealed. Sealing something in an airtight container is not necessarily the best way to preserve it either, depending on what it is as there is still air trapped inside the case and inside the packaging which can allow oxidation. Although I don't personally have any graded games and never would buy or sell them, there are some people that want a third party to certify the condition and authenticity of what they have for resale or simple peace of mind. Just because you don't see the value in something doesn't mean it doesn't have value to others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

And Earthworm Jim, games are more special than toys, they come alive on your tv and do fancier stuff, which is why the idea of putting them in plastic is so weird to some, including myself.
    He said he hates the QUALIFIED grading.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

oh sorry. i didnt know the terminology they use and I honestly dont care for much of the lingo in general.

But, if you hate that side of them, why think theyre justified in grading your games?
    Last edited by JakeM; 05-30-2013 at 06:48 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

VGA argument threads are hilarious to me.

1. The stuff they're grading was never going to be opened or played. Period. So putting it in a plastic tomb isn't depriving anyone in the entire world from playing it (except for undumped protos, which is HORRIFYING, but blaming VGA for that is shooting the messenger).

2. Some people want perfect, sealed games in their possession. Get over it. You might have a hobby that a sealed video game collector doesn't relate to. Their hobby is in no way interfering with your own: see #1.

3. People who want sealed games are often willing to pay extra for the peace of mind of knowing that what they're getting is authentic, and that it meets certain criteria. That criteria is, yes, a company's opinion that you may or may not agree with, but for the most part it's "good enough" - if you want a more-or-less flawless copy of a game, you'll know from one photograph on eBay if a VGA'd game meets your personal criteria. For people like that, it's a pretty good service.

4. The VGA isn't, as far as anyone knows, making non-sealed games more expensive. Unless you are a sealed game collector, the VGA is not affecting you at all.

5. Yes, people grade things needlessly: the $15 game example in the video, grading currently-available stuff, etc. is all pretty stupid. But who cares? How does that hurt you? People make dumb decisions, and they pay for it. If you want to get angry about people throwing money away, go protest against legalized gambling or something.

Full disclosure: I don't collect sealed games, but I have employed the VGA to grade high value items that I am selling on commission for, basically, customer service reasons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

oh sorry. i didnt know the terminology they use and I honestly dont care for much of the lingo in general.

But, if you hate that side of them, why think theyre justified in grading your games?
    Qualifed in most cases means not sealed.

Can you think of any examples of products that you buy from companies that also offer other products you want no part of. You don't boycott the items you want because of it, you just avoid buying those you don't. If you have a favorite beer would you stop drinking it because they also offered a Lite Beer which in some cases is the exact same beer mixed with water?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Your example is bad...
    Hes paying money for their credibility and opinion. If he doesnt like that theyre also grading those other things, which he sees as a joke, then the joke is on him for giving them his money for them to do the same thing with his stuff.
    Last edited by JakeM; 05-30-2013 at 07:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedEye View Post
    VGA argument threads are hilarious to me.

1. The stuff they're grading was never going to be opened or played. Period. So putting it in a plastic tomb isn't depriving anyone in the entire world from playing it (except for undumped protos, which is HORRIFYING, but blaming VGA for that is shooting the messenger).

2. Some people want perfect, sealed games in their possession. Get over it. You might have a hobby that a sealed video game collector doesn't relate to. Their hobby is in no way interfering with your own: see #1.

3. People who want sealed games are often willing to pay extra for the peace of mind of knowing that what they're getting is authentic, and that it meets certain criteria. That criteria is, yes, a company's opinion that you may or may not agree with, but for the most part it's "good enough" - if you want a more-or-less flawless copy of a game, you'll know from one photograph on eBay if a VGA'd game meets your personal criteria. For people like that, it's a pretty good service.

4. The VGA isn't, as far as anyone knows, making non-sealed games more expensive. Unless you are a sealed game collector, the VGA is not affecting you at all.

5. Yes, people grade things needlessly: the $15 game example in the video, grading currently-available stuff, etc. is all pretty stupid. But who cares? How does that hurt you? People make dumb decisions, and they pay for it. If you want to get angry about people throwing money away, go protest against legalized gambling or something.

Full disclosure: I don't collect sealed games, but I have employed the VGA to grade high value items that I am selling on commission for, basically, customer service reasons.
    Well said. I also don't collect VGA games but I have sold one. In that case, I took a sealed game that wouldn't sell for $200 and after it was graded I sold it for $650. So I have a positive experience with the VGA. Having said that, that was done over two years ago and I don't regularly get games graded because usually the stuff that sells the most isn't just sealed but also rare and uncommon. Still, I have never understood all the hate towards them. I get that some people don't like it but as already pointed out VGA graded games isn't really affecting anyone. There will always be enough playable copies of just about everything.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.