Thread: One Box to Rule Them All

Insert Coin (Level 0) Scotterpop's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default One Box to Rule Them All

One aspect of the new XboxOne that I haven't seen a lot of discussion about here is its focus on becoming a media hub for all your entertainment needs. Do you guys and gals think this is a good strategy for a game console? Is this the logical next step for consoles or are they simply overreaching? It has the potential to be a total game changer or a spectacular failure. Sony seems to be taking a more focused approach on making a more immersive gaming experience with less emphasis on the social and media capabilities. Personally, I believe it's going to come down to a "jack of all trades, master of none" scenario for Microsoft. So XboxNone, basically. What do you guys think?
    Death to Videodrome! Long live the new flesh!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Final Boss's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They tried it before with PS2. And when DVD was a new thing, it was a fair deal. But that changed quickly, as DVD players got cheaper and better. Difference is, PS2 had tons of great games to keep it selling like hot pants. And none of the weird disadvantages they have decided to curse "XO" with.

I don't think you can stretch the idea of a gaming console as an entertainment hub much further than it already is. Some things work for a while, but eventually I think the actual devices built for an exact purpose do it better.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I sure the hell don't want my media center to be controlled remotely by Microsoft. Using only the file formats they allow, forcing me to use their interface, forcing me to update that interface to something different when they feel like it (remember the Xbox experience upgrade?) reporting everything I do to Microsoft and their advertising partners, and you know there's going to be ads, who the hell wants their media center to show them ads? Not to mention whatever annoying DRM shit they're likely going to inflict on me.

HTPC+XBMC FTW. I think it's time the XBMC team thought about changing the name now that it has nothing to do with Xbox anymore.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Well, I'll say this.

If there was EVER a time for cable companies to move the hell away from these ridiculously antiquated cable boxes, this is the time.

Seriously, WHY in 2013 do most cable boxes still look like this:

If more and more people are being wooed away from the bland, lifeless, function-bereft interface of the modern cable box by things like Netflix, Hulu, Roku, PS3, 360, etc. it's time for cable companies to start having their cable boxes function more like a Roku and less like a TV Guide.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"