Thread: Sonic: Lost World

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default Sonic: Lost World

Wow! I'm surprised that there isn't a thread on this yet.

After hearing about the 3 exclusive Sonic games for the Wii U and 3DS, I was excited but understandably skeptical. After seeing the TRAILER for Sonic: Lost World I am incredibly excited. As others have stated it looks like they are using the original Saturn version of Sonic X-treme (Not the Nights engine build) as inspiration! This has me insanely excited! Then breaking the level sections down into bit size chunks like Mario Galaxy would really play to the systems strengths.

I can't wait till E3. Hopefully they reveal more details.

So what do all you DPers think?
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Gameplay looks cool, a nice nod to Xtreme, but the 6 main enemies... I'm not a fan. The art style on those guys doesn't seem to complement the rest of the Sonic universe. Looking forward to seeing more of the game despite that. I just hope they (the deadly 6) don't figure in too prominently.

Game collector at its finest Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    DarkChaos2795
    3DS Friend
    3351-4174-4389

I'm honestly excited as well. I thought it was a good idea for them to recycle the concept of Sonic X-Treme, since I felt that the concept of that cancelled game had some potential for newer Sonic games.
    I just wish that the idiotic part of the Sonic fanbase would stop complaining about how the games "rips-off" Super Mario Galaxy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As if drawing inspiration from two of the best 3D platformers in recent memory is a bad thing any way.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post
    After hearing about the 3 exclusive Sonic games for the Wii U and 3DS, I was excited but understandably skeptical. After seeing the TRAILER for Sonic: Lost World I am incredibly excited.
    I just watched the trailer you linked to. I've never been interested in any Sonic games, but I admit, that looks fantastic!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

After seeing the game play I'm pretty excited to see more. It's like a blend of old and new.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dr. BaconStein's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The daytime gameplay in Sonic Unleashed was probably the most fun I've ever had in a Sonic game. It's frustrating to see that ever since Colors they've taken a complete U-turn from that and gone for this safer, more simplistic approach, to make the games more accessible or whatever.

I'm not really impressed with anything shown so far. The art style and villain designs look especially jarring/unappealing, gameplay looks to be yet another attempt to slow Sonic down for more focused puzzle platforming. I'm also getting kind of tired of Green Hill Zone after Sonic 4 and Generations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ace_McCannon

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post
    Wow! I'm surprised that there isn't a thread on this yet.

After hearing about the 3 exclusive Sonic games for the Wii U and 3DS, I was excited but understandably skeptical. After seeing the TRAILER for Sonic: Lost World I am incredibly excited. As others have stated it looks like they are using the original Saturn version of Sonic X-treme (Not the Nights engine build) as inspiration! This has me insanely excited! Then breaking the level sections down into bit size chunks like Mario Galaxy would really play to the systems strengths.

I can't wait till E3. Hopefully they reveal more details.

So what do all you DPers think?
    I'm excited and think this game will be good. I played through Sonic Generations and thought it was pretty fun. I will say I didn't know this was based off of Sonic X-treme.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I look forward to the gameplay should be interesting. The nintendo thing I've commented on before somewhat surprising though not entirely certainly helps nintendo not sure it helps sega though? Now I need a wii u haha

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    Gameplay looks cool, a nice nod to Xtreme, but the 6 main enemies... I'm not a fan. The art style on those guys doesn't seem to complement the rest of the Sonic universe. Looking forward to seeing more of the game despite that. I just hope they (the deadly 6) don't figure in too prominently.
    Yeah. I agree that the deadly 6 are drawn in quite a different art style, but I like their designs I think they'll add a nice change in flavor from the normal Sonic bad guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. BaconStein View Post
    The daytime gameplay in Sonic Unleashed was probably the most fun I've ever had in a Sonic game. It's frustrating to see that ever since Colors they've taken a complete U-turn from that and gone for this safer, more simplistic approach, to make the games more accessible or whatever.

I'm not really impressed with anything shown so far. The art style and villain designs look especially jarring/unappealing, gameplay looks to be yet another attempt to slow Sonic down for more focused puzzle platforming. I'm also getting kind of tired of Green Hill Zone after Sonic 4 and Generations.
    Sonic Unleashed did have some excellent daytime levels, but they forced you to go fast and blaze through them and they didn't reward you for trying to take them slow and explore.

What I love about the older Sonic games is that you could really play them two different ways. You could blast through the stage hitting every spring and speedup possible (More of an Arcade/ Time attack style) OR your could take it slow and really explore the different multi-level structure each level had to offer. Often uncovering secret areas and such more like a traditional platformer.

That was why the older Sonic games were so brilliant. They were very much two different styles of platformers in one game. No game demonstrates this mix better than Sonic CD where one of the levels has a section filled with disappearing/reappearing platforms not unlike those found in Electric Mans stage in Mega Man. However if you don't like that style of platforming just hit a boost and time travel to a different version of the stage (Past, Present or Future) that lends itself to speed over exploration and platforming.

Quote Originally Posted by M.Buster2184 View Post
    I'm excited and think this game will be good. I played through Sonic Generations and thought it was pretty fun. I will say I didn't know this was based off of Sonic X-treme.
    I'm glad to see Sega revisiting the ideas it had for Sonic X-treme. Back when it was supposed to come out I followed every scrap of info on it religiously and was distraught when it was canceled. The game had a lot of ambitious ideas that, had they been well executed, would have been a revelation during that generation.

I'm not sure if Sega is drawing inspiration beyond the cosmetic look of Sonic X-treme, but even if that is all they use it is unique enough to lend itself to some interesting level structures and gameplay mechanics.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

New Wii U gameplay footage
    http://youtu.be/v7nweiUGh-g
    and 3DS gameplay
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koMru0MVkYw
    Last edited by SpaceHarrier; 06-07-2013 at 03:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    Looks good. What I've seen so far vaguely reminds me of the level designs in Kororinpa: Marble Mania on the Wii, especially later on in that Wii U video.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

So I got a Wii U a while back and remembered how excited I was for Sonic: Lost World. After downloading the demo and really liking it I decided to watch some videos about it and I can't believe I had not heard of the Free DLC for the game.

The Legend of Zelda level looks fantastic! and the Yoshis Island Zone looks every bit as awesome!

I love when they do stuff like this and especially when its free. I just cant believe its been over two years and I haven't really heard anyone mention this stuff. I'm totally snagging a copy of this game. The Deadly Six bonus edition even has a "Nights into Dreams" themed boss rush bonus level!