Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Earthbound SNES: Think it will drop like a rock when it's Re-released later this year?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Earthbound SNES: Think it will drop like a rock when it's Re-released later this year?

Just curious what you all think. I am going to save up and wait for the day it releases in hopes the game drops in price considerably on SNES.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hope so, just so I can laugh at all those who stocked up on the game at ridiculous prices to try to resell them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Earthbound fans are a different breed. I wouldn't expect any price drop, because the people buying these carts aren't doing it just to play the game.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I sure hope it does. I can't imagine spending what it's selling for now. I should have just kept it when I had it. Judging from the amount of the daily ebay auctions it doesn't appear to be rare. But then again what officially released expensive SNES game is actually rare.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Game took a hit when the announcement came a little bit. I think it will at the worst flatline the ignorant price that thing unjustly gets since it's not rare in the least bit, but odds are it will chop it some. People made the same argument a game wouldn't take a pounding going digital about FF7 when it was announced for PSN. It took a ding like EB did, and then when it dropped that game which used to get a lot of cash crapped down into the $15 area. I'm not saying EB will fall horrifically but I could see it take a notable dent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Someone shoot me a pm when the game hits under the $20 mark.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

"Like a rock"? Probably not. Drop to some degree, yes, I suspect that will be the case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

It'll fall from the current prices, but it will probably never be under the $100 level for a cart only copy. It's EarthBound. This is a game that will hold its a good deal of it's value forever.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Everytime I think this game can't get anymore expensive it seems to double.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You also need to consider where it's being rereleased. The Wii U isn't exactly the mecha of DLC games at the moment. And on that note, I really hope Nintendo shares sales numbers for this game after the first 3-6 months. But still, I think it will affect the Snes version to a degree. But it's not likely going to drop down all the way to sub $50 price points.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I doubt it mostly it will stay up in price even after hit's the Wii U VC.For that matter,it could have the opposite effect once it hit's the virutal console and drive up the demand even more so.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 06-03-2013 at 05:04 AM.

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Considering Secret of Mana, Pulseman, Alien Soldier, and Super Metroid haven't dropped in price since hitting the Virtual Console, I'd have to say no as well. Chrono Trigger on the SNES hasn't really gone down in price even though it was re-released 3 times (PS1, DS, and Virtual Console).

The secondary market on physical releases targets collectors who want the game just to have it. The Virtual Console targets people who just want to play the damn game. EB will likely drop some, but not a LOT. 16-bit seems to be a special case.

People asking $200 for a game that doesn't come with either a console or cabinet is anyway. If you've got or plan to get a Wii U in the next 6 months, support the re-release of Earthbound. Actually, just support the games you love that come out on the Virtual Console (or WiiWare/PSN/XBLA) anyway. It's nice to have options, and that's what the digital re-releases are: options.
    Last edited by Sailorneorune; 06-03-2013 at 04:40 AM.
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092

Game collector at its finest Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    DarkChaos2795
    3DS Friend
    3351-4174-4389

I hope so. That way, I'd be able to gain that game complete in box without having to pay way too much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If you want the box, ask the guys in the VGA thread, someone claims they can make perfect copies.

Seriously though, I said my piece. CT has going back always remained relatively flat for that cart as I recall it being in that $40-50 range.

I own the earthbound game, but I think I'd get the download on the misguided hope I help it sell like crack so maybe those lazy assholes will translate and release to the 3DS VC mother 1+2 or better yet #3.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    If you want the box, ask the guys in the VGA thread, someone claims they can make perfect copies.

Seriously though, I said my piece. CT has going back always remained relatively flat for that cart as I recall it being in that $40-50 range.

I own the earthbound game, but I think I'd get the download on the misguided hope I help it sell like crack so maybe those lazy assholes will translate and release to the 3DS VC mother 1+2 or better yet #3.
    Chrono Trigger was up, then it was down, now it's way back up. Recent auctions on ebay place it at $70.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sailorneorune View Post
    Considering Secret of Mana, Pulseman, Alien Soldier, and Super Metroid haven't dropped in price since hitting the Virtual Console, I'd have to say no as well. Chrono Trigger on the SNES hasn't really gone down in price even though it was re-released 3 times (PS1, DS, and Virtual Console).

The secondary market on physical releases targets collectors who want the game just to have it. The Virtual Console targets people who just want to play the damn game. EB will likely drop some, but not a LOT. 16-bit seems to be a special case.

People asking $200 for a game that doesn't come with either a console or cabinet is anyway. If you've got or plan to get a Wii U in the next 6 months, support the re-release of Earthbound. Actually, just support the games you love that come out on the Virtual Console (or WiiWare/PSN/XBLA) anyway. It's nice to have options, and that's what the digital re-releases are: options.
    On the flip side, original copies of games like Castlevania SotN, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Final Fantasy 3/6, etc. all saw significant price reduction when the were re-released. They've all fluctuated since, but there was a significant drop at one point.

It's a crap-shoot. We won't really know until it happens. I'm hoping for sub-100 prices, and based on the drop that happened right after the announcement that it was coming to the VC (many sold for ~150, down from ~250-300 just weeks before), I'd say that sub-100 loose carts aren't out of the realm of possibility. I don't expect CIB examples to plummet, but that's a slightly different market IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    Chrono Trigger was up, then it was down, now it's way back up. Recent auctions on ebay place it at $70.
    CT took a hit when it was released on PS1. It took some time but it has since recovered and is now moving with the flow of other SNES games in the same price range.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    On the flip side, original copies of games like Castlevania SotN, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Final Fantasy 3/6, etc. all saw significant price reduction when the were re-released. They've all fluctuated since, but there was a significant drop at one point.

It's a crap-shoot. We won't really know until it happens. I'm hoping for sub-100 prices, and based on the drop that happened right after the announcement that it was coming to the VC (many sold for ~150, down from ~250-300 just weeks before), I'd say that sub-100 loose carts aren't out of the realm of possibility. I don't expect CIB examples to plummet, but that's a slightly different market IMO.
    PS1 DBZ and FF Tactics took the bigest hits.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    From Uncle Tusk.

http://uncletusk.com/node/123

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Earthbound came in a huge oversized box. He might sell reproductions of the cardboard tray insert though.