Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: who here uses a toaster, who uses a top loader

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default who here uses a toaster, who uses a top loader

I'm debating on buying a top loader, although I really don't need one. Are they worth it (ie no pin connector issues), or are they more of a novelty.

side note: should I buy a NWC reproduction? I need someone to talk me out of it. I have this irrational urge to buy one even though I already own Super Mario, Rad Racer, and Tetris. Something about just owning some piece of Nintendo history (although a repro) is driving me. I'm not sure how much I'd even play it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mr.Russian

Quote Originally Posted by Flam View Post
    I'm debating on buying a top loader, although I really don't need one. Are they worth it (ie no pin connector issues), or are they more of a novelty.

side note: should I buy a NWC reproduction? I need someone to talk me out of it. I have this irrational urge to buy one even though I already own Super Mario, Rad Racer, and Tetris. Something about just owning some piece of Nintendo history (although a repro) is driving me. I'm not sure how much I'd even play it.
    Well fella, I have a toaster doesn't work well bought a new whatever 7 years ago to solder into it to lazy for that. Have a retron 3 I think that plays super nes nes and genesis works well ,ditch the controllers and get real controllers. If you want an old nes and whatever chip that you have to solder in let me know! Of course I will charge yah. Toodles!

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I use both. More so the toploader, but I use the toaster when staying with family. And I always use the toploader for Famicom games because it's just about impossible to use my converter with a toaster.

Toploaders are nice to have, assuming you don't have a big problem with using RF, but don't expect absolute perfection from them. They're no different from any other top-loading cartridge-based system, like the SNES, Genesis, N64, etc. Games can still fail to load up right from time to time (which of course varies depending on how clean your stuff is and how worn it is), but, yeah, it's a much better success rate overall. But if you can find a toaster in really good shape, that's gold right there. And I don't mean a toaster with replaced 72 pin connector, as those replacements are typically cheap crap and are often way too tight at first (which can even damage your games) and then wear out to being just as loose as the previous one was in not that long. What you want is an original official Nintendo 72 pin that was maintained very well over the years. I managed to find a CIB NES Action Set a few years back that's practically like new, with all the plastic baggies and twist ties even, and it's a thing of beauty. Probably works just as well as my toploader, maybe even better. It's stored away at my mom's house (hence why I only use it when visiting), but down the road, I'll probably make it my primary NES. It's all about the balancing act between picture quality and reliability, and if you can get good reliability with a toaster, there's not much reason to use a toploader when you could playing in composite.

Insert Coin (Level 0) fairyland's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use a toaster. It doesn't mean you won't have to clean your games though, I still have to as some of them that come in are just so nasty and dirty.

A NWC reproduction? Is it something you really want? Do you remember the tourneys at all and are they special to you? Is it important for you to have one? Will you feel guilty about owning it afterwards? Do you want it to prove that you are a better collector? Will it just sit on your shelf as a decoration and will you feel comfortable about that? You have your reasons and justifications to collect, so only you can answer these questions for yourself.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have one us toploader with coaxal and japanese av toploader,they are woth it since i have not needed to blow on any of my games to get them to work.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use a top loader nearly always. More consistent and it takes up less room in the console area.

As for the NWC repro, it is quite fun to give it a go and try to top your own score and the contestants scores. Plus the overall package is visually appealing. It's essentially a game of its own, and a fun one at that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got a healthy stock of dependable Toasters and one Top Loader. It has probably been a year and a half since I used my Top Loader, while I use one of the two Toasters that I have hooked up in different rooms almost everyday. I have immaculately clean games, my NES 10 Chips are disabled, and I don't mind wiggling a cart every now and again if it wants to backtalk the 72 pin connector a little bit. For Famicom games I keep the top shell unscrewed so I can pop it off and slide them and the adapter in no problem. RF, jail bars, and no nostalgia keep my Top Loader on the shelf.

I love my NWC repro. If you want it, buy it, play it, and love it. Truth be told, I'm a cheap bastard when it comes to purchasing retro games, but I've never regretted making the choice to be able to play NWC whenever I desire on an actual NES rather than on an emulator.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I've used a toaster since I was seven. It still works to this day.

I don't know what people whose Nintendos don't work are doing... just make sure to clean the games, clean the connectors, and sometimes you have to blow on the connectors or use the scraper trick... whatever. The game WILL work, unless the system is seriously borked, and I don't know how thats even possible without domestic abuse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In actually use a Tristar (for the SNES). Fairly affordable on eBay when you can find em, and one less console to screw with.

But, if I was gonna use original hardware, it would be a modded top-loader.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Used my Toaster once to play Kings Quest V, glad I cant play that game anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I've used a toaster since I was seven. It still works to this day.

I don't know what people whose Nintendos don't work are doing... just make sure to clean the games, clean the connectors, and sometimes you have to blow on the connectors or use the scraper trick... whatever. The game WILL work, unless the system is seriously borked, and I don't know how thats even possible without domestic abuse.
    Yeah, 95% of the time, if your NES isn't loading it's most likely to do with dirty games. I personally prefer the toaster because it's what I grew up playing. It's also has better picture quality. Plus it's a hell of a lot more affordable than a top loader. The only benefit I see to using a top loader is to play Famicom games on a converter.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a 50/50 split for me. My Top-Loader NES is A/V modded, and were it not for that, I would be using the Front-Loader NES a lot more than the Top-Loader NES because I absolutely could not stand the vertical lines in the Top-Loader NES' RF output. I wanted to hold on to it, but it simply was not possible, so I A/V-modded the console. Looks perfect, though I do have to rebuild the audio amp as the one I have in the console now is a bit noisy.

I do use Famiclones as well, but mainly for the purpose of recording how my NES games play on them for my clone console comparisons on YouTube. I also record gameplay footage off the Front-Loader NES more so than the Top-Loader NES specifically for those videos. When it comes to recording full playthroughs, though, it's again a 50/50 split.

At the same time, I'm now using my AV Famicom a lot more often than before after I rebuilt the audio circuit to fix the terrible volume levels when playing games with sound chips in the carts. As much as I find the video too dark out of this console, when audio fixed, it sounds SO GOOD. I used to use my Twin Famicom a lot, but the disk drive is a pain and my red and white Famicom is pretty much just sitting there doing nothing.

If a Front-Loader NES doesn't work, chances are the pins on the bottom row of the cartridge connector are bent too far down to make good contact with the game. Nearly every single faulty NES I've ever come across was fixed by tightening the bottom row of pins, though I did find two with dead PPUs that resulted in severe graphical garbage all over the screen with all games.
    Last edited by Ace; 06-05-2013 at 09:43 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm kind of a cheat as I have both and have neither.

I have an old school one, but it's built into a Sharp NES TV, and I do have a top loader, but it has been modified to run off RCA jacks, has a stereo separation wheel in back(works nice), and a LED light under the power switch. I've had a classic top loader of two motherboard styles of the RF nature in which one didn't have the noted 'jailbars' and the second did. The old school style is far more likely to take a dump on you about working right from a pissy security chip to the pins due to how it works just being flattened out over time causing connection problems.

If you want something that rights like Nintendo envisioned it you get the original system. Due to the pin issues and the fact the newer style made this decade are of crap metal and cause their own problems and break too, learn to refurb an old one as I have. Fixing old pins is time consuming a bit but if you can get it out of a system all you do is clean it proper and then use a needle/pin and bend the lower row of pins back upward a bit for a snug connection, but not far enough they touch the top or you'll have a problem. I've done this for a lot of years and it works. NA has a post on boiling the pins in water on the stove top, this also somehow fixes the old NOA ones up pretty nicely too but I've never done it.

The top loader you can't remove the pins, but you don't have the bending problem, it just works as long as your game is clean. It also does NOT have the 10NES lockout security chip so you can run anything you like without a problem including MOST PAL games as well. The OLD NES can run this way too, but you'll need to clip PIN 4 on a chip on the board (google for a pic of which chip and where the pin is) which I did on my last real old style NES and it saved a lot of headaches.

Personally I can't tell you which to get. You can make them virtual equals clipping that pin, but over time once in awhile some maintenance will be needed on the removable pins within the old deck to get it happy again around just keeping it clean(either model.)

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I use neither! I have a sharp twin famicom and I use a converter to run us games. It looks a little weird but I never have issues with blinking and it's got composite video, so it's kind of like having a modded top loader that plays discs.

The only drawback is that the controllers are hard wired into the console, and the cords are somewhat short.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    I use neither! I have a sharp twin famicom and I use a converter to run us games. It looks a little weird but I never have issues with blinking and it's got composite video, so it's kind of like having a modded top loader that plays discs.

The only drawback is that the controllers are hard wired into the console, and the cords are somewhat short.
    That can be resolved with a small amount of effort though

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    That can be resolved with a small amount of effort though
    You're right. I need to employ my friend's expert soldering skills. If I do it myself it'll look like a glob of goo and duct tape.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I realize I'm committing some form of blasphemy here, but...I use the Retro-bit Entertainment System. It grips games hard, but it works with great accuracy for a clone. It's also easy to transport between residences when I need to. I don't "really" care that much if it gets damaged because it's just a clone and inexpensive. From what I've heard, it's one of the most faithful after market clones in terms of audio/visual accuracy, though I often don't notice subtle differences.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I think you underestimate just how many systems are "borked". If you still have the same NES that you got new and maintained well over all these years, consider yourself fortunate. Collectors who have to buy a used one at random are pretty screwed. It really doesn't matter how immaculately clean you keep the system and all your games, the hardware is just flawed design that's highly prone to failure. Sure, most games will work eventually, but it kinda kills your desire to play anything after two dozen failed attempts to get the game to load up. And that's after already scrubbing down the 72 pin and the contacts of each game. If the system has seen heavy use, especially if misused or if games were left inside all the time, the pins are likely to be bent, and there's pretty much nothing that can be done at that point besides trying to reshape them or buying a cheap, third party replacement.

I know in my case, I bought my first toploader purely out of frustration with the crappy, worn out toaster that I had bought on eBay. It didn't matter how much I cleaned everything, it was still horribly unreliable. It's only been in recent years that I've enjoyed the bliss of owning a toaster that was lightly used and well-maintained before it entered my hands.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use an original toaster with a Power Pak cartridge that stays in all the time. That way it always works when I turn it on, and I get the composite out.

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

I only use my top loader, it is so much more reliable than the toaster model.

The only down side is the RF out so I had mine modified to output via composite cables so as far as I'm concerned there isn't a single thing the toaster model does better than the top loader so it's clear cut for me.