Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Just Posted New Xbox One Details Re Privacy, Used and Always Connected

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Microsoft Just Posted New Xbox One Details Re Privacy, Used and Always Connected

Microsoft just went live with an information site that explains how privacy, game resale and sharing will work. Apparently, you do need an Internet connection at least once every 24 hours, all games you install will be accessible to you anywhere as well as to your family members and Microsoft won't be charging transfer or used fees, although publishers are free to do so. They may also allow you to give games to a friend if the publisher allows it, but that feature won't be available at launch. While it seems slightly less draconian than the earlier rumors, I have no interest in the Xbox One at this point.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/connected

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think this is the first time you have ever posted a thread or atleast that I've noticed. Anyway, thanks for the heads up on the info. Hopefully now we will stop getting atleast one new XB1 rumor thread a day.....atleast until Saturday.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies.
    Microsoft had the chance to sugar coat this part a bit, and this is the best they could do ..?

So yeah, say goodbye to offline gaming, guys!
    Last edited by Guyra; 06-06-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guyra View Post
    Microsoft had the chance to sugar coat this part a bit, and this is the best they could do ..?
    Well, at least they finally came clean about everything. I can't say the same for Sony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, they had to at some point. Still wondering what Sony's up to, for sure, but we'll find out very soon.

In any case, it doesn't make their product any better.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Well, at least they finally came clean about everything. I can't say the same for Sony.
    Yeah they did. The information just wasn't posted by the sources until recently. Even though you do own all consoles, you sure like to bash on Sony whenever you can.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Yeah they did. The information just wasn't posted by the sources until recently. Even though you do own all consoles, you sure like to bash on Sony whenever you can.
    No, actually they didn't and the fact that you keep repeating that is an indication that you lack the ability to discern the difference between fact-based information and wishful thinking and speculation. Sony has never said, "you will never need to connect the PS4 to the Internet if you don't want to". Similarly, Sony has never said that it won't lock first party games to a particular account or user. In fact, Sony has specifically declined to respond to the media asking those very questions as recently as last week. All Sony has really said is that the PS4 will play used games (notably, the Xbox One plays used games too) and that in places without robust Internet or for users who don't want to interact with others the system won't have to be always connected (technically true of the Xbox One as well, considering it only needs to be connected once every 24 hours, not "always"). That's not a complete answer to the questions posed.

Frankly, you could say that I am a loyal Sony user with all of my TVs, Blu Ray players, DVD players and even receivers coming from Sony almost exclusively for the past 25+ years. I also want to be a PS4 user if it turns out it is basically the identical set-up to the PS3 where Internet is 100% optional and games can be freely traded, resold, rented, etc... Heck, the PS4 on paper is even apparently a more capable and advanced piece of hardware than the Xbox One. I would love for the PS4 to not only be the best piece of hardware, but also have the most consumer friendly policies. We already know that Sony will allow third party publishers to lock out used games, so I'm looking for confirmation that Sony first party stuff won't be locked out or require an online pass and that I never have to connect to the Internet with the PS4 if I don't want to.

Microsoft has revealed their cards fully now and I'm not interested in the Xbox One. I'd like to see Sony do the same so I can decide if the PS4 meets my criteria for purchase.
    Last edited by Bojay1997; 06-06-2013 at 06:28 PM.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

GUUUUUHHHHHHH...

E3 is days away.

I sure has hell hope coming out of that event we have concrete details on all DRM and used game buying/selling mechanics/limitations for BOTH systems.

Because as much as many of us really enjoy these back-and-forths, they just make my head hurt.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Doesn't sound quite as heinous to me.

As for wanting it or not, I saw a trailer for Wolfenstein New Order and the graphics are frigging incredible.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wow, can't believe they stuck to the 24 hour rule. This means that you basically can't take a Xbox One system on vacation with you to anyplace that can't connect to a network. This will affect me about 3 weeks of the year, and depending if hotel internet is fast enough, or cheap enough, it could affect me on some other days as well.

Pretty shitty if you ask me.

Talk on recent podcasts I've been listening to have been suggesting that MS would back off the 24 hour thing, and maybe make it a one week thing or something like that. 24 hours is pretty harsh. This basically means that for all intents and purposes, an internet connection is required at all times if you really want the thing to function. I mean, I guess if you were on vacation, you could take it to a Kinkos, or something, to get internet access real quick, and then go back offline when you get back to your cabin you could play for another 10 hours or so.

what a strange world we are going to be living in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I'm no huge fan of online check-ins with Microsoft, not so much because my XBOX ONE will ever be in a network-free environment, but because I believe that at SOME point Microsoft's servers are going to encounter some kind of inexplicable communication issues that will wind up denying service to X amount of users at some given time.

I just don't trust any service to be completely stable and 100% functional 100% of the time. Things happen, services go down. XBL has gone down or undergone maintenance many times in the history of the service, but that in and of itself has not stopped us from playing/enjoying games that we've purchased.

This system might.

I guess we'll see how it goes. Maybe it'll be relatively painless and we'll all forget about it a week into the XBOX ONE launch.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.
    If I'm reading this correctly this means a complete end to buying used games via Craigslist and the like. The person you get the game from MUST be a friend for at least 30 days and you can only do a private party sale once in its lifetime.

With that and the 24 hour online nanny check I am officially out. Goodbye Microsoft, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I hope their system goes down. I hope it goes down for a long time, and stays down. Even though I'm still likely to buy this piece of ish, and it would affect me personally, I think in the long run, it would be beneficial to gaming overall, because the backlash would be so significant that basically for one more generation we would enjoy the rights that we've been enjoying since the days of the Atari 2600.

I can imagine that the hackers of the world are licking their chops, and can't wait to bring this system down as soon as it goes online. They should wait till Xmas eve to strike, lol. Imagine all the peoples on Xmas day not being able to use their Xbox because the network is down.

My kids will be pissed, but I'm going to be smiling if it happens.

Project Camaro - Where did you find that quote about the friends list and 30 days thing ?
    Last edited by WCP; 06-06-2013 at 07:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    I can imagine that the hackers of the world are licking their chops, and can't wait to bring this system down as soon as it goes online.
    They've taken other networks down for far less offensive consumer practices.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro View Post
    If I'm reading this correctly this means a complete end to buying used games via Craigslist and the like. The person you get the game from MUST be a friend for at least 30 days and you can only do a private party sale once in its lifetime.

With that and the 24 hour online nanny check I am officially out. Goodbye Microsoft, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
    It's possible that someone will eventually make new unlicensed firmware for it so you won't have to worry about online check ins or worry about used games not working, just give it some time. If you can play PS2 games from a hard drive or play burned Wii games, it shouldn't be too difficult to get around this in a few years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Getting a comment in before Bojay1997 blathers on about rumors and...oh, I see.

Sony has made it official that it won't be implementing any sort of DRM in the PlayStation 4 to stop the use of used-games The confirmation comes in the form of Sony retroactively having answered the question of used-game DRM. Kotaku had decided to contact Sony directly about the question, and the Sony representative pointed Kotaku towards a statement made by Sony studio chief Shuhei Yoshida back in February.

According to Yoshida, "At a roundtable this morning, Sony's game studios chief, Shuhei Yoshida, told reporters that any requirement for users to register a game online in order to play it would be left to game publishers. Sony won't require that."
    http://tech2.in.com/news/console/son...d-games/875088

Kind of funny, I was almost expecting the Xbox One DRM confirmation not to be widely reported yet, but I see the spin game is well underway. Well, time to nip that in the bud.

But I'd love to hear more about how leaks are crap and for more tortured hair-splitting over "well technically they didn't answer questions #1 and #3 blah blah blah" hmm yes very interesting
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 06-06-2013 at 08:49 PM.

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Project Camaro - Where did you find that quote about the friends list and 30 days thing ?
    Here - http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license

Giganticus breathalizer Mr Mort's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The 24-hour rule is just inane. It's a lame PR copout in order for them to give us a false impression that the system does not require an internet connection to play single-player games.
    Either make the damn thing require a persistent internet connection, or don't at all. This half-assery is just a play on words, and as far as I'm concerned, the system *does* require an internet connection. Just come out and say it, stop beating around the bush.

I'll be the first to admit, my PS3 and 360 are always connected to the internet. So why would I be upset about this 24-hour rule?
    Because I don't like being told how, when, and where I can consume the media that I have paid for. It's a matter of principle, and it gives too much leverage to a corporation, and as unlikely as it really is, it's not outside the realm of possibility that this power/leverage can be abused.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mort View Post
    The 24-hour rule is just inane. It's a lame PR copout in order for them to give us a false impression that the system does not require an internet connection to play single-player games.
    Either make the damn thing require a persistent internet connection, or don't at all.
    In their defense, actually requiring a persistent connection would be unworkable. A day is the only timeframe that's remotely sane for constant check-ins. Obviously you can't have the system lock up if it is disconnected for a few moments.

However I suppose depending on how they implement this there could still be problems. Will it start counting down a timer when it's first disconnected from the 'net? Or will it try to connect repeatedly after a particular time is reached, or during a count-down timer? It could be bad in various ways.

Giganticus breathalizer Mr Mort's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    In their defense, actually requiring a persistent connection would be unworkable. A day is the only timeframe that's remotely sane for constant check-ins. Obviously you can't have the system lock up if it is disconnected for a few moments.
    I get what you're saying, and you're right. Short interruptions to net access are fairly common. For all intents and purposes tho, you're being required to have a connection to play games. It is that very principle that does not sit well with me, and phrasing it as anything but such is just a play on words IMHO.