Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Just Posted New Xbox One Details Re Privacy, Used and Always Connected

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

"Share access to your games with everyone inside your home"

"Give your games to friends"

"Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies. "

I love how these are now marketable lines despite being able to do all of these things previously, and without restrictions. Absolutely nothing here benefits consumers in any way
    I've seen all of the lines already. "I always have it connected anyway!" So, what happens when Microsoft's side goes down because of disgruntled hackers? "I don't trade games anyway!" But how does the restriction benefit you as a consumer?

Microsoft has killed physical preservation, created more waste than is necessary, locked out countless independent game stores, began controlling how/where/when people play, and under the preposterous idea this is somehow beneficial to the end user. It's insulting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    granz912

I'm sure MS is shielding itself from anti-trust laws through some specious claim that piracy is destroying the video game industry, and I'm sure there's no end to the projected losses they can pull out of their ass to "prove" it.

The only reason MS is restricting software resale is so they can increase their own profit margins through the exclusive sale of new titles; and the console's online validation is a blatant act of planned obsolescence. MS will probably shut down Xbox One validation servers once the next-next generation Xbox console is released, thereby forcing consumers to make the investment.

The entire thing will blow up in their faces. Hopefully it will be a lesson to the next would-be monopoly that tries to corner the market with these kinds of tactics. Then again, MS may be setting an unfortunate precedent for the future of gaming...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Microsoft (and probably Sony too) deserves to be hacked (read FUCKED HARD) by Anonymous, just to show them that their system doesnt work and its full of shit. Just imagine the lawsuits they would have not being able to access your game for a month or anonymous deleting your online codes for games you bought, etc. It happened on PSN, might happen again... If Sony does the same, these 2 consoles will be the first time I dont buy a system at launch in the past 20 years. I will only buy them once they get hacked, and play backups. And I wish all gamers are smart enough not to buy these systems and bring sony and ms to their knees until they quit all DRM bullshit. Wii U will be the only new system I own for a while.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, people are gonna hack the network on spy on people as they play games, its only a matter of time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post

I love how these are now marketable lines despite being able to do all of these things previously, and without restrictions. Absolutely nothing here benefits consumers in any way
    I've seen all of the lines already. "I always have it connected anyway!" So, what happens when Microsoft's side goes down because of disgruntled hackers? "I don't trade games anyway!" But how does the restriction benefit you as a consumer?

Microsoft has killed physical preservation, created more waste than is necessary, locked out countless independent game stores, began controlling how/where/when people play, and under the preposterous idea this is somehow beneficial to the end user. It's insulting.

well said... well said.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

it seems more and more aparent to me that xbox one is going to be a big waste of time.

they seem they have enough cout to justify this online once a day crap and in all honesty i think its going to blow up in their face like windows 8, and like windows 8.1 update will

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mort View Post
    I'll be the first to admit, my PS3 and 360 are always connected to the internet. So why would I be upset about this 24-hour rule?
    Same here, my 360 and PS3 are always connected to my wireless network. But despite how fast my internet is, there are still days where the power goes out for no reason. I'm talking 72 degrees clear sky days with no rain, snow or wind. I hate when that happens but the point is that it does happen every now and then. The power can be out anywhere from an hour to an entire day. So the 24 hour rule isn't a complete deal breaker but it's annoying as hell, especially when applied to single player games.

While it's nice that they mentioned parts of their used game process, they still have alot of questions to answer. I'm going to assume that you won't be able to rent any XB1 games. But for selling games they mention that you can only sell the games once thru approved retailers. So are we no longer allowed to sell on ebay or craigs list? Thats always been one of the biggest selling points of why I chose console gaming over PC gaming, to be able to purchase and sell used games.

I was looking to put aside a substancial amount of change from my tax return money for my future XB1 purchase. But Microsoft is straying far away from what made them the go-to console this gen. In order to get consumers to accept all these radical changes they really need to have a nice affordable launch price and new game prices that are substancially lower than what they are now. Of course, I don't see either of those things happening. I'll probably get one eventually but right now I'm kind of conflicted.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Doesn't anybody ever go on vacation, and maybe, just maybe, that place doesn't have internet, or the internet is too slow and sketchy ? I have little kids, and sometimes they go to their grandfathers house, and he doesn't have Wi-Fi, and his router is no where near where they would be putting the Xbox One. On the plus side, if we unplug it from the internet right before leaving for his house, then we should have enough time to play for an evening, so I guess it won't be too bad if the 24 hours starts at the time it was disconnected.

Still, any time I would be traveling on vacation, I'd like to take it with me, cause there is always a downtime where I could get some gaming in. Often the places that I end up staying at either are charging a ridiculous per day rate for internet and I pass on it, or they do have internet but it's too slow and unreliable for online play (although a check-in might work, not sure...)

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

"Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time."

Sounds to me like Sony's policy but with 10 accounts. This will probably be reduced to one or two once the game sharing groups start buying games. The game sharing fanbase should like the Xbox One.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This will be a great paper weight once they stop supporting it!

It took eight years from the first Xbox was released, until they shut down the Xbox Live for the console. That's only five years after the release of the Xbox 360. Once their next system after the Xbox One is released, will it only take another five years or so before they shut down the Xbox Live service for it?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Doesn't anybody ever go on vacation, and maybe, just maybe, that place doesn't have internet, or the internet is too slow and sketchy ?
    Why does everyone keep using the vacation comparison? I know it may sound crazy, but their are large amounts of people that don't have *any* access to broadband.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was happy to see that you will be able to turn off Kinect if you want, but I'm still not planning on buying this system. I don't know why anyone who considers themself a collector would want it. Once Microsoft takes the servers away it's over. The system won't work. All those games, lost to time.

If I can completely disconnect Kinect from the system, and one day down the line someone figures a way to hack this thing so it doesn't require any kind of internet connection, then I may buy one. But not until then.
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Four words: Games for Windows Live. It's horrible, it barely works and (I never thought I'd be one of those people) I now avoid games like the plague when I see that it is present.

It doesn't fill me with confidence about the Xbox One.

Gamereviewgod has asked how any of this benefits the end user. I think that that is really the key question in all of this - how does this benefit me?

If the end result is that new games that were £50 at launch are now £30 because the second hand market and piracy isn't 'damaging sales' then ok, there is a benefit there. If you can get games for around a fiver after 12 - 18 months, fine. As a customer I don't lose out. I even benefit a little bit because brand new games are cheaper. The thing is, that's just not going to happen.

I love how lots of things are "up to the publisher". Effectively - don't shout at us, it's not our fault.

Game collector at its finest Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    DarkChaos2795
    3DS Friend
    3351-4174-4389

Unhappy

...Am I the only person who just wants to dust off my NES and play this for the generations instead of the Xbox One? I honestly don't like the idea of abandoning offline gaming, since even though I do like to compete against other players online, I have friends who I could play locally with. At least the Wii U has that capability, while at the same time has online capability as well. It's like Microsoft is not aware--and probably doesn't give a crap--about people who has friends and families who lives near them, or with them.
    When I'll collect new games, I'll wait until the Xbox One discontinues in order to get it. Granted, I know that means that I wouldn't play some of the exclusives for the system, but I know that people will have a miserable time with the Xbox One. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to play with my Sega Genesis and my other old systems for the rest of the 8th generation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The computer industry has considered Microsoft to be an extremely evil, tasteless, anti-consumer, monopolistic company for decades.

Now Microsoft is applying those same behaviors and tactics to its video game console. Why are gamers so surprised?

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wow, all this talk about bringing down the network to block people from playing their games. That's like attacking your own people so you can blame it on the enemy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NSFW, but too on-topic not to post. Again.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...n-Buyers-Guide

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    Wow, all this talk about bringing down the network to block people from playing their games. That's like attacking your own people so you can blame it on the enemy.
    All signs point to the coming generation being a turbulent one.

I can't imagine that Microsoft predicted anything like what has been going on for the past few weeks.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    Reminds me of this.

Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I can't imagine that Microsoft predicted anything like what has been going on for the past few weeks.
    I feel like this can't be true. I just don't know how to comprehend it. Are all relevant parties suffering from chronic amnesia? Do the people who require their consumers have an Internet connection lack one themselves? People flipped their shit over the likes of Spore and The Sims. I just don't see how it could be unexpected. I think it's more along the lines of knowing but not caring. Figuring that if they stay the course and steamroll their way forward then eventually they'll instill a new normal through sheer tenacity. But they have to be aware, at least.

Hell, PSN was taken down for a month, likely stemming from the outrage over Linux of all things. The removal of a fringe feature was enough to spur a unified attack on the console's security, the results of which managed to compromise a hell of a lot more than DRM. Imagine how much worse an extended outage would be for the One. The United States government doesn't even have flawless security. I can't fathom Microsoft is ignorant to the point that the people who concocted this measure are not aware of what's been happening nor expecting similar assaults. Successful assaults. No matter how secure they think their systems are, they have to know that at some point the servers will go down, sometimes by force. They just probably figure the long term benefits of the "new normal" they want to instill outweigh the costs that will come when the inevitable does happen.

This is also why I can't see GameStop fully embracing it. They'd be putting their own well being in the hands of an infrastructure they don't control or maintain. Kid buys a copy of Halo and upon attempting to play it realizes the thing straight up doesn't function. Not "I can't play online" but literally "this disc seems broken." Who's likely to receive the brunt of that displeasure whereupon people wind up buying what appears on its surface to be an expensive coaster? Who will have to maintain shelves of Xbox One discs that, absent a warning, can't be sold in good faith until the servers come back on? It's confusing even for those of us who actually pay attention.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 06-07-2013 at 02:24 PM.