Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Just Posted New Xbox One Details Re Privacy, Used and Always Connected

Strawberry (Level 2) misfits859's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, on top of all the other nonsense now we get to a $500 launch price. No thanks. I hate to say it but I'm kinda hoping this things flops a bit.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm completely shocked that it's that expensive. At a time when most have tightened their belts, expecting to sell any console for above $400 seems like a fool's hope. If the Wii U and 3DS looked like they had lukewarm launches...yeah. I certainly don't expect the One to fly off the shelves at that price.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 06-10-2013 at 05:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    I'm completely shocked that it's that expensive. At a time when most have tightened their belts, expecting to sell any console for above $400 seems like a fool's hope. If the Wii U and 3DS looked like they had lukewarm launches...yeah. I certainly don't expect the One to fly off the shelves at that price.
    People seem to be able to cough up boku cash for iPads on the same economy so it's not that far of a stretch to think they'll do the same for a One. Five months , $100 a month. It's doable for a lot of folks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    You underestimate Halo, Call of Duty, and Madden fans

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

CoD and Madden will also be on PS4. Is Halo still a big deal? The PS4 I can't imagine being any cheaper. Much of what happens depends on how long Microsoft keeps the 360 going. If they shut it down soon, that will infuriate a lot of people, and force them into choosing a competitor.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There might just be a few fewer Halo fans after all of this.

Besides, Bungie is making a game for the PS4.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Well I read Microsoft being snarky, saying if you don't like the XBONE, then stick with the 360, it's not going away anytime soon. Okay, that's good news for people who can't afford a new system.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RicknSam
    PSN
    howie6925

I was just wondering if anybody knows since the games can't be sold used or traded in, what about the systems itself? Can you or would you be able to buy a used system, anywhere since it is only specific retailer that can sell used games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Essencially this system has been set up to replicate that of PC gaming. The weird thing is that everyone seems to worship Steam but now that Microsoft is taking a similiar route everyone is complaining about it.
    STEAM doesn't require you to check online once ever 24 hours to authenticate your games. You activate it once (usually right after downloading it) on your PC, and you can be offline as long as you desire.

Also Steams gets around the whole used game question by spoiling us with regular sales, and other discounts. There has been no real indication from Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo that sales will be a regular feature of their eShops.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    The weird thing is that everyone seems to worship Steam but now that Microsoft is taking a similiar route everyone is complaining about it.
    There are some things you need to keep in mind, though: The first one being that they're trying to make a computer gaming machine for console gamers. The second being that the physical copies you're buying will only be for not having to download the game after buying it - because you will not be able to use that disc offline, or when the system's no longer supported. And third, as The Adventurer stated, Steam doesn't require you to authenticate all the time, and they've constantly got sales and overall cheap prices - much more so than what we see in the Xbox Marketplace, or in the Playstation Store or Nintendo eShop for that matter.

Oh, and fourth: With Steam, you can upgrade your computer, get a completely new one, or have several of them, and keep playing the games that you have bought. With no restrictions.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

One thing I'm starting to notice with newer games on Steam is that the prices aren't much cheaper than the console versions now, if at all. Some PC games are launching at the same price as console games and are no longer dropping in price as quick or going on sale as often as they used to. Tomb Raider has been on sale through Green Man Gaming for less than $20, but it's sitting on Steam right now for $50 while the console versions are $30. Bioshock Infinite is $60 on Steam while $40 on consoles. Indie games are a whole hell of a lot cheaper, but it seems that the larger publishers games are on sale far less than they were before. I really don't buy digital if there's a physical copy out there so it's a non issue to me, but just saying.

With Xbox One, you don't have multiple venues to purchase these games from though. Digital prices for PS3 take awhile to drop, but digital prices on the 360 seem to never drop. What happens when gets are released digital only through Xbox One's marketplace? Because the discs are worthless after install, you know a lot of smaller developers are going to cut costs by not even releasing a disc versions, even if they're full budget game. You'll only be able to purchase from Microsoft and who knows if the price will ever drop.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Guyra View Post
    There are some things you need to keep in mind, though: The first one being that they're trying to make a computer gaming machine for console gamers. The second being that the physical copies you're buying will only be for not having to download the game after buying it - because you will not be able to use that disc offline, or when the system's no longer supported. And third, as The Adventurer stated, Steam doesn't require you to authenticate all the time, and they've constantly got sales and overall cheap prices - much more so than what we see in the Xbox Marketplace, or in the Playstation Store or Nintendo eShop for that matter.

Oh, and fourth: With Steam, you can upgrade your computer, get a completely new one, or have several of them, and keep playing the games that you have bought. With no restrictions.
    Actually there are two kinds of restrictions:

1 - Your hardware or OS is incompatible with the game. Some games, like Stubbs The Zombie, no longer work due to them having issues with modern hardware (missing some features from older video cards) and they were pulled from the store. Some other games, like Just Cause 2, require Windows Vista or better.

2 - The game may still have some DRM on top of Steam. Stuff like SecuROM with a limited amount of activations. If you run out, SecuROM may not give you more, and Steam tells you you're boned.

And of course, region locking / censorship, but that's another can of worms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Howie6925 View Post
    I was just wondering if anybody knows since the games can't be sold used or traded in, what about the systems itself? Can you or would you be able to buy a used system, anywhere since it is only specific retailer that can sell used games.
    The games can be sold used. Oddly enough Ive heard rumors that the MS has not commented on if you can resell your bone, which has led to strong rumors, which has led to internet fact that it cannot be resold.
    Bury me with my money......*dies*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Microsoft is supposedly sending out reps to hijack Nintendo's Best Buy demos:

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=205110

and

http://haverzine.com/2013/06/13/micr...rience-events/

"Microsoft has reportedly been sending in Microsoft employees into Nintendo’s Best Buy E3 experience events, which have been set up in Best Buys across the country to allow consumers to play some of the new Nintendo games that have been announced at E3 this year, in an effort to bash the Wii U and to promote the company's upcoming XBox One. The XBox One has certainly fallen out of favor with hardcore gamers, driving many to flock to the Nintendo Wii U as an alternative.

Numerous reports (along with some damning photos) have come out from those claiming to have withnessed these so-called ambushes by Microsoft employees themselves. The Microsofties were reportedly asking customers why they were bothering with the Nintendo Wii U when the XBox One was 'right around the corner'."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by CDiablo View Post
    The games can be sold used.
    Actually, it's not quite that simple.

Let's say you have Need for Speed Rivals for the Xbox One. You've played the game for a couple of months, but you're just not into the game anymore and you want to get rid of the game and get something back for it.

1. First, you'd have to see if the publisher (in this case EA) even allows you to do anything with the game when you're done with the game. It's not a given that you'll be allowed to trade the game in, or give it to a friend.

2. Let's assume that they actually allow it.

3. Ok, so you basically have two options. You can either take the game to the appropriate retailer that is offering buy back for that specific game, or you can "gift" the game to somebody that has been on your friends list for 30 days.

4. Let's talk about the trade in part of the equation first:

a. You can only trade in the game to retailers that have specifically set up terms with EA to buy back Need for Speed Rivals on Xbox One. This means, that you can't just take this game to any given store that buys used games. You have to take it to one that has agreed to EA's terms and conditions. There is always the possibility that EA and GameStop can't come to an agreement, but EA and Best Buy do have an agreement. This would mean that you would have to take the game to Best Buy instead of GameStop.

b. Also, because these publishers are going to be working out specific deals with the retailers, expect to get less money for your trade-ins than normal. If you normally got 20 bucks store credit for your game, now you're likely to get 10 bucks credit or 15 bucks credit. The chances of you getting the 20 bucks credit that you'd normally expect are extremely slim, because now the publisher is going to be taking a huge cut.

5. Ok, let's talk about "gifting" a game to someone on your friends list (that has been on the list for at least 30 days):

a. Ok, so, you want to sell your game to somebody directly, because you know that you'll only get pennies on the dollar if you take it to the authorized trade-in retail partner of the publisher. Unfortunately, you can't just put your game on Ebay or Craigslist. Instead, you are allowed to "gift" the game to a friend, in a one time transaction.

"Wait a minute ! I don't want to gift the game, I want to sell it ! "

Yeah, well about that. You see, technically, a direct sale is not allowed. So basically, you're going to have to find a buyer on your friends list, and work out how you'll be paid for the game, and then once you're paid, you will then "gift" the game to the new owner.

b. Also, remember, that if you normally sold a game to somebody, that person would be able to play the game, and then eventually sell it to somebody else. Because this isn't allowed anymore, the buyer of a used game isn't going to want to pay as much as they would pay normally, because they know that game is stuck to them, and they have no further recourse, so you'll likely end up with less money when you sell your stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not to give to much positive to a bad situation. But why couldn't your Friends List friend pass the game on after he's done with it? I'm not sure I've seen anywhere that a game can only be transferred once.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Not to give to much positive to a bad situation. But why couldn't your Friends List friend pass the game on after he's done with it? I'm not sure I've seen anywhere that a game can only be transferred once.

It's a one time deal.

Here are some Xbox One quotes that need to be studied...

Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

In our role as a game publisher, Microsoft Studios will enable you to give your games to friends or trade in your Xbox One games at participating retailers. Third party publishers may opt in or out of supporting game resale and may set up business terms or transfer fees with retailers.

In addition, third party publishers can enable you to give games to friends.

Anything that can be enabled, can also, not be enabled.
    Last edited by WCP; 06-14-2013 at 05:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    It's a one time deal.
    WELP

F those guys then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Also Steams gets around the whole used game question by spoiling us with regular sales, and other discounts. There has been no real indication from Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo that sales will be a regular feature of their eShops.
    But they are still doing the same thing and restricting used games. Steam restricts ALL used game sales while Microsoft lets you use and sell used games in a limited capacity. But for the sake of argument lets just say that they both restrict used games. You can sugarcoat it all you want with the Steam sales but it's still the same damn thing. And I say that as someone who doesn't like or approve of Microsoft's policy because it isn't the norm for console gaming. But at the end of the day, Steam and XB1 both restrict used game sales. The difference is that PC gamers have gotten used to this and don't really complain about it anymore. Since this is new for console gamers they have atleast been trying to verbally fight back, for whatever thats worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Guyra View Post
    There are some things you need to keep in mind, though: The first one being that they're trying to make a computer gaming machine for console gamers.
    See my first post and my response to The Adventurer.

The second being that the physical copies you're buying will only be for not having to download the game after buying it - because you will not be able to use that disc offline, or when the system's no longer supported.
    True but if you resell/trade the disc in the new purchaser will need it to install the game to their system.

And third they've constantly got sales and overall cheap prices - much more so than what we see in the Xbox Marketplace, or in the Playstation Store or Nintendo eShop for that matter.
    While I enjoy sales as much as the next guy you do realize that you are using that as an excuse. "It's ok that I can't play used games on Steam because they have sales but it's not ok that you can't play used games on XB1 because we don't know what kind of sales they will have." Granted, we have no idea what kind of sales Microsoft will have. They have some pretty decent ones now(including free games every year) but I'll agree that their sales over the past four years I've had my 360 haven't been as frequent or as cheap as Steams. But regardless, they are still doing pretty much the same thing in regards to restricting used games, minus the 24 hour authentication.

You can still play all the games on your account if you get a new XB1. Thats the whole reason they are using that authentication program. The major issue will of course be when they decide to shut down the servers.
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 06-14-2013 at 07:59 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RicknSam
    PSN
    howie6925

Quote Originally Posted by CDiablo View Post
    MS has not commented on if you can resell your bone, which has led to strong rumors, which has led to internet fact that it cannot be resold.
    Oh, that would kinda suck if it can't be resold. I wonder how that would work for the content you buy? Is it tied to the system or the user account?