Thread: XBOX ONE, PS4, etc. = The End of Classic Gaming?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question XBOX ONE, PS4, etc. = The End of Classic Gaming?

Despite the title, bear with me, this is a topic for classic gamers. Strictly modern gamers couldn't appreciate, or perhaps even understand, this concept and the threat to classic gaming for our children and future generations. I reference Xbox One merely as an example in order to present the issue. .. Anyway:

These days, I don't care much about new games and systems. I've grown out of it and don't have time to play 30-hour games anymore. But I still care about retro/classic gaming... so I am concerned about "the future of retro gaming" and whether Xbox One (and other new consoles) will spell the end of retro gaming as we know it for future generations of "retro gamers".

At this very moment, we think of systems like Atari 2600 and Sega Genesis as the past-- systems of a bygone era -- and systems like Xbox One and PS4 as the future of gaming. When we were kids, we played Atari, Sega, etc. Now we collect for those systems and others consoles from our youth because, almost invariably, nostalgia is the #1 driving factor in retro gaming.

And, at this very same moment, there are millions of 5-15 year old boys (and girls) in America eagerly anticipating the launch of Xbox One and other future consoles. One day those same boys will be 20-35 year old men-- and they won't care about our Atari 2600s and Super Nintendos... instead, they will long to relive the days when they rushed home from school to play their Xbox One with their friends. Although we don't often look at it that way, fact is that someday Xbox One will be the past -- a system from a bygone era. A classic system, only available on ebay. But, the question is, when they're 30 and when our children are 30, will they be able to relive their gaming memories in the same way we can today?

Or will the Xbox One and similar digital distribution models end retro gaming as we know it? As many of you know, the Xbox One will require games to be linked to your Xbox Live account; you must own the "license" to use the game. And while shops like Gamestop can re-sell the used games through a special deal with Microsoft, we likely will no longer be able to sell used games privately amongst ourselves (i.e., the used game won't work if you sell or give it to a friend). I don't like that at all, but I guess I can live with it for the next several years.... BUT... what happens when the lights go out?.. when Microsoft closes up shop on the Xbox One and Gamespot takes the games off their shelves? We know by now that these online-based games and systems don't get supported forever-- someday the Xbox One servers will go down. Do all the games go down with it? Will an Xbox One game sold on ebay 15, 20 or 30 years from now be useable at all, or will it be nothing more than a showpiece? In other words, will the Xbox One literally cease to exist, games and all, once Microsoft pulls the plug? And even if this doesn't happen with Xbox One, isn't it inevitable that someday the digital distribution model will kill retro gaming for this very same reason? Downloaded games don't last forever like a physical disc. So, with the birth of the next generation of consoles, does it spell the death of our hobby for the next generation of gamers?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just buy a Wii U.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JakeM View Post
    Just buy a Wii U.
    Thanks for the response Jake. But what I'm saying has nothing to do with which new console to get for Christmas... I'm talking 30 years down the road, when we're old and gray and our kids are the retro gamers instead of us. Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo, it doesn't matter who, digital distribution is not going away-- it is only just beginning-- and the Xbox One model will eventually be the norm.. even Nintendo will switch to digital distribution someday, even if it takes 10 or 20 years. So I'm curious whether anyone sees any way around this that will allow future generations to still collect and enjoy the games of their youth, or if this just spells the end of the hobby for future generations?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I mean in the sense that if we all go out and buy Wii U's then developers will have to make games for it instead of for XBO and PS 4. Will still keep physical copies of games alive that way for another generation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got a bunch of retro games on my iPad and PS3. I think that you might be right that the days when you could fire up the old hardware are going away, but there will still be ports and emulation so those kids can get their fix if they want to play some oldschool Watchdogs and try no to wince at the bad graphics.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

VGA makes sense now. They've been prepping us all this time for Xbox One. You can't play used games 30 years from now anyways. So why not grade it?
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Game collector at its finest Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    DarkChaos2795
    3DS Friend
    3351-4174-4389

1. Maybe the Xbox One will have retro games available on the downloadable shop, like its predecessor. Who knows?
    2. When I have kids, I'll show them how important retro games (the ones from the 70s, 80s, 90s, and early 2000s) are, and how newer systems are a problem (not counting the Wii U and possibly the PS4).

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by MF_Luder View Post
    And even if this doesn't happen with Xbox One, isn't it inevitable that someday the digital distribution model will kill retro gaming for this very same reason? Downloaded games don't last forever like a physical disc. So, with the birth of the next generation of consoles, does it spell the death of our hobby for the next generation of gamers?
    I can understand the point you are trying to make, but I really dont see the need for concern. You gotta understand that these companies are just looking to create a product to sell, and not create childhood memories that last forever. I hear what you are saying, that the games produced in the next generation will become just unusable once the xbone/ps4 rotates out and another system rotates in. At the same time most of the games on current gen consoles are just so similar to games released on previous consoles. To a certain extent I think that with video games everything has just already been done. This is why we get sequel after sequel, simply revamped with better graphics. Besides, how often do these companies re-release popular games from previous consoles? On the ps3 we have seen quite a few ps2 games re-released like devil may cry 1-3, ico/shadow of the colossus, resident evil anthology, an so on. Whos to say they wont just re-release whatever down the line?

I also think we have gotten to the point where we just do not need any more new consoles. Do I REALLY need a xbone to watch tv? What a stupid ploy. Its kinda like when they included a dvd player on the ps2, except at that time many people diddnt have dvd players so that was an incentive to some people. But with xbone we get to watch TV and play call of duty with a dog.. is that really all they have to give us? Just more and more of the same.

I couldnt be less interested in a new console from microsoft. Im sure they will put out fun playable games, but I just dont see these games having the same charm as original nes/snes/sega stuff. And why should I worry now about someone getting upset 10-15 years from now because they might not be able to play xbone games? Because lets face it, if there is $$ to be made, sony or microsoft will just re-release whatever.
    Besides, nothing lasts forever. Even physical media will eventually degrade to the point where its unusable.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeM View Post
    I mean in the sense that if we all go out and buy Wii U's then developers will have to make games for it instead of for XBO and PS 4. Will still keep physical copies of games alive that way for another generation.
    The only problem with this is that nobody wants a wii u. Why would i buy a console with a shitty line-up of software with the hopes of them putting out something I MAY like.
    Last edited by bb_hood; 06-07-2013 at 06:37 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gaming is gaming. As long as the kids are getting a kick out of it, who am I to say its wrong? Platforms will change; the new XBox will die on the vine soon enough, just as they all do. Heck, in another 10 years, things will be so alien to tour current experience, I suspect our grand kids will have a good laugh at our collections and machines.

Live and let live. Nobody is threatening to take away my PC, nor my love of older games. "Classic" gaming - whatever that may mean - will never die. Times are a changing and these things don't mean the same to the new gamers. Different strokes mate, for different generations with different priorities, values and attitudes. I don't get it either, but then again, I don't have to. My world is still turning.

EDIT: NSFW or those with fragile sensibilities....but absolutely right. Go, glorious PC gaming master race!!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...n-Buyers-Guide
    Last edited by Carbon; 06-07-2013 at 09:35 AM.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You're a generation late! Anything with high online support [like current gen] sure isn't classic.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No one will buy XBONE, so no worries.