Thread: Whats it worth? - FACTORY SEALED IN THE BOX - Sega Genesis X-Men Edition (Cartridge and X-Men T-Shirt ALL Sealed in the box)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Whats it worth? - FACTORY SEALED IN THE BOX - Sega Genesis X-Men Edition (Cartridge and X-Men T-Shirt ALL Sealed in the box)

Hello, New here

Well what I have here is a factory sealed in the box Sega Genesis X-Men edition, It includes the 1993 X-Men Cartridge and also an X-Men T-Shirt. This item has never been opened in almost 20 years!

Any advice on to what this could possibly be worth would be greatly appreciated! I just opened the box, debated for almost half of today on cutting a small slit in the tape. This is what this amazing system has inside! EVERYTHING IS FACTORY SEALED and the T-Shirt looks amazing! The pictures are a few posts down, Check them out
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130530_225413.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	6734   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130530_225422.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	6735   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130530_225437.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	6736   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130530_225450.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	6737  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130530_225509.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	6738  
    Last edited by NecroFelix; 06-08-2013 at 07:25 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That does not appear to be factory sealed. I have never seen a new Sega Genesis with large pieces of tape down either side.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I'm 100% positive this is factory sealed. I didn't buy this from some flea market or craigslist deal. I've had it sitting in my closet since I purchased it from the store in 1993. Can anybody tell me what this could be worth? Don't tell me that it isn't legit. Because I know it is, If it is what the title says it is, How much is it worth?
    Last edited by NecroFelix; 06-08-2013 at 09:26 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Somebody has to have an idea on what this is worth, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I wouldn't know myself beyond searching Ebay for comparable items. I've never seen that X-men edition before, so it's cool to see that. Thanks for the pictures. Probably worth a few hundred? I just don't know. You could ask on sega-16.com.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    I wouldn't know myself beyond searching Ebay for comparable items. I've never seen that X-men edition before, so it's cool to see that. Thanks for the pictures. Probably worth a few hundred? I just don't know. You could ask on sega-16.com.
    Thanks for the response! The only thing I have been told by a business owner since 1989, he said he's never seen that edition before like you said. He said I could possibly be sitting on thousands of dollars. The only problem is, according too him, this edition is extremely rare, and that he could not make me an offer

Im really hoping someone here has an idea, or atleast seen this edition before, because after checking the majority of collectors in my area, none of them have seen what I have before. Finding absolutely nothing regarding this edition on the internet. This system is an absolute ghost.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

What store and in which state did you buy it? Maybe it was regional? There are many more SEGA-centric collectors on Sega-16's forum, they could know, maybe. I almost wonder if the tape on the box was done by the store itself, or by SEGA after the fact. In other words, they took a stock Gen-2 or maybe one that came with Sonic 2, replaced the game inside, stuffed a T-shirt in there, and slapped a sticker on the box.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NecroFelix View Post
    Well I'm 100% positive this is factory sealed. I didn't buy this from some flea market or craigslist deal. I've had it sitting in my closet since I purchased it from the store in 1993. Can anybody tell me what this could be worth? Don't tell me that it isn't legit. Because I know it is, If it is what the title says it is, How much is it worth?
    I have owned many factory sealed Sega Genesis systems over the years. None have ever had tape running down both sides. Just because you buy something from a store doesn't mean the store didn't open it and reseal it. The sticker on the side is also not something from Sega and looks like a store or liquidator sticker. Putting all of that aside, even if this was factory sealed and mint (clearly this isn't mint based on your photos with dents and scuffing all over the box), you're probably looking at a couple of hundred bucks tops. This is the later Sega Genesis 2 version and not the more in demand original V1 console. There is a guy on Ebay selling mint factory sealed Sega Genesis 2 core units for around $150 right now. The X-men tie in makes it more interesting, but not hundreds of dollars more interesting.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its fairly rare, but with all the corner dings and flaking on the box edges, the tape running down the sides that should NOT be there....Id say its worth about $300-500 to the right collector, thats if it is NOT a reseal.

In the thousands? certainly not. That shop keep is a moron.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    What store and in which state did you buy it? Maybe it was regional? There are many more SEGA-centric collectors on Sega-16's forum, they could know, maybe. I almost wonder if the tape on the box was done by the store itself, or by SEGA after the fact. In other words, they took a stock Gen-2 or maybe one that came with Sonic 2, replaced the game inside, stuffed a T-shirt in there, and slapped a sticker on the box.
    This is one of the most far fetched scenarios I have ever read. Thanks for the laugh.
    Last edited by Parodius Duh!; 06-08-2013 at 03:27 PM.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

, hey it was worth a gander. After looking at his pictures again, I will agree that the tape is not only not factory, it looks pretty darn lousy on there. Probably was a return that like Bojay said they put on clearance.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius Duh! View Post
    This is one of the most far fetched scenarios I have ever read. Thanks for the laugh.
    It does look like stickers on the box, I doubt it was done by the store but Sega using old spare Sonic 2 boxes with new stickers on them seems possible. If this was a specially printed box there would be more of these out there.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Name:	20130608_165801.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	6749Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130608_165838.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	6750I just barely slit the tape, too reveal what is inside! Check it out guys! What do you think? Freakin sweet! EVERYTHING IS FACTORY SEALED, And the T-Shirt looks freakin awesome! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130608_165716.jpg 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	6747Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130608_165724.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	6748
    Last edited by NecroFelix; 06-08-2013 at 07:11 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NecroFelix View Post

Name:	20130608_165801.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	6749Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130608_165838.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	6750I just barely slit the tape, too reveal what is inside! Check it out guys! What do you think? Freakin sweet! EVERYTHING IS FACTORY SEALED, And the T-Shirt looks freakin awesome! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130608_165716.jpg 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	6747Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130608_165724.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	6748
    It does in fact look new in box. Having said that, I'm not seeing a crazy amount of collector's value because of the condition of the outer box and the fact that the game doesn't even come sealed in a case. I think you'll probably get offers in the $200-$300 range for someone looking for an unusual package that didn't seem to get a lot of distribution. This is definitely not worth thousands or even in the high hundreds.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In that case, I'll just hold onto it for another 10-20 years Appreciate all of the help guys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks like a new variant, it would be cool for you to share the photos in this thread over on Sega Retro
    http://segaretro.org/Mega_Drive_cons..._North_America

It looks like an official Sega job, the NFR sticker on the XMEN cart was a common practice for these bundles, as was just giving you the cart and manual, not the full clamshell. I am assuming the callout text on the front bottom right of the box is a sticker as well right? Normally they just took regular M2 sets and tweaked them a bit, then stuck a sticker on the front. Never seen a shirt bundled in though.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    Looks like a new variant, it would be cool for you to share the photos in this thread over on Sega Retro
    http://segaretro.org/Mega_Drive_cons..._North_America

It looks like an official Sega job, the NFR sticker on the XMEN cart was a common practice for these bundles, as was just giving you the cart and manual, not the full clamshell. I am assuming the callout text on the front bottom right of the box is a sticker as well right? Normally they just took regular M2 sets and tweaked them a bit, then stuck a sticker on the front. Never seen a shirt bundled in though.
    Thank you for the response! That is the exact information I was told by a local collector who I spoke with to get this item appraised. He told me this is definitely one of Sega's Variants that was distributed for a short amount of time, which making it extremely rare, especially considering it being brand new in the box with a T-Shirt. A little back-story, My uncle had gotten this for me in 1993, I just never bothered to open up the box and enjoy the system. Now 20 years later, I decided I would take it too a local collector and sell it (thinking it was only worth 100$ or so), Discovering that the collector could not make me a legitimate offer due to the rarity of my item. He stated I need to hold onto it until I find a collector who's willing to pay the right price for something like this. The T-shirt bundle - according to him, is the rarest, and was sold for a very short amount of time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SP4C3FL34
    PSN
    ArrowShockwave

Rare <> Valuable.
    Be Attitude For Gains...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceFlea View Post
    Rare <> Valuable.
    Exactly

There are a lot of Model 2 variants out there, and each of them is only worth what someone is willing to pay. Another which is not on SegaRetro if I remember is the Comix Zone one. You really have to find that right market and it might be more on Sega16 or SegaAge. I think you could probably get around $100, you can try and shoot for a higher price but the more you raise it the less people will be interested.