Thread: The 6 Most Ominous Trends in Video Games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The 6 Most Ominous Trends in Video Games

Saw this article today and most of it makes sense.

Some of the reasons I picked up classic gaming as well.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-6-mo...n-video-games/

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thats really cool.

I think games needs to try and be artistic and not realistic. Thats why so many old games still look cool, theyre not trying to be like a real world, theyre fantasy so the best looking games looked like art.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Quote Originally Posted by JakeM View Post
    Thats really cool.

I think games needs to try and be artistic and not realistic. Thats why so many old games still look cool, theyre not trying to be like a real world, theyre fantasy so the best looking games looked like art.
    Amen to that. It's a constant source of frustration that game developers have access to the greatest creative tool in the history of everything- the human imagination- and yet we seem to get the same crap over and over.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Quote Originally Posted by Nebagram View Post
    Amen to that. It's a constant source of frustration that game developers have access to the greatest creative tool in the history of everything- the human imagination- and yet we seem to get the same crap over and over.
    its because everyone wants to be sucked into a virtual world so badly in the casual world that amazing games like Limbo and Scribblenauts and others which actually are very creative and different but yet are platformers with their own art style seem to fall between the cracks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BricatSegaFan View Post
    Saw this article today and most of it makes sense.

Some of the reasons I picked up classic gaming as well.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-6-mo...n-video-games/
    The funny thing is that article was written two years ago in 2011, and it still applies today.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

And in the future, you're not going to have the ability to just play the games offline in single player while you wait. The tethering of all games to an online account is coming. And with that will come annoyances.

The thing is, publishers ultimately want to get to the point where you're connected to their servers at every moment. This way they can continually check to make sure you have a non-pirated copy of the game and can then sell you downloadable extras and monthly subscriptions to play multiplayer. They also want you to buy all of your games via download so that you won't trade a physical copy in to GameStop (who will resell it and not give a penny to the publisher). After that, they will move to a model like OnLive, where you never get a copy of the game at all -- you simply play it off their machine, streamed over your Internet connection. For this, you pay a monthly fee, hopefully for the rest of your life.

All of this requires a constant connection. Which requires constant security. Which requires constant bullshit. Ask any PC gamer, they're already there.
    He predicted the Xbox One.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    The funny thing is that article was written two years ago in 2011, and it still applies today.
    That's what I said. The fact that it's still relevant is quite disturbing.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

I just read the article and I agree with most of what the guy is saying here.

We are partially to blame for this mess.

I mean can you imagine being a game developer and sitting at a company meeting about new game ideas and feeling like you can't win. You come up with something new and cool and it gets shot down because its too risky.

Another thing to blame which i guess goes hand in hand with ourselves is the wide spread of media namely the internet.

Back in the old days the only way you could find out if a game was good or not was through a magazine or..... Well that was in all honesty the only way (since all gaming shows back then were pretty biased).

Now all I have to do to find out if a game sucks or not is hop on youtube and watch the endless amounts of review videos floating around on there.

Developers back then at times made their money on people who took a chance to play a game. Not so much these days. Sure you have red box who now allows game rentals (since block buster and such went bye bye with times changing). Which made room for creativity because they didn't care really. They knew as long as they put some cool box art on and good screen shots and a riveting tale on the back of the box they knew they had you hooked.

These days its a completely different ball game. You have to find a way to instantly pull someone in and like the game right from start with the game itself. Easiest route to take these days is through known franchises that have done well in the past and continue to do well

First Person Shooters. I mean think back some of us older gamers who in our late 20s and older. When QUAKE 2 came out we were freaking shitting bricks from the endless possibilities we could kick our friends ass's over the internet through this new game with guns and such.

Quake 2 was what started all this really. ID software took a franchise they knew was working and added this and took a chance with it and got lucky and everyones been riding off that since.

And now we have Zynga along with other related companies making simple phone app games.

Which in all actuality we once again have ourselves to blame.

Think about it. What do most smart phone games remind you of? What happened in 1989 that blew our socks off and helped nintendo keep a very strong foot hold in the video game market specially portable game market.

Tetris. What is tetris? A mindless simple puzzle game you can jump into immediately with no real instruction and can play for a few minutes to kill time or for long periods of time.

Angry Birds does exactly just that.

Now games like Farmville. Are very interesting because they make their money through ad's. And pushing people to buy stuff to make their experience that much more enjoyable. The games are generally so cheap and simple too that all there is really is just profit. there's no crazy mechanics. theres no crazy actions or visuals or anything. Just a over look that reminds you of sim city and you do a few actions at a time and done. People got hooked on its simplicity and perhaps some what cute nature. got popular. And just like all games these days people will do anything to be top of the board on anything popular. So they will find a way to hack the system or just spend that crazy money to get more plot or seeds or whatever.

And the guys at your major game companies are left scratching their heads going "what the hell?....... how do we compete with that?"

strange times we are in

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd like to solve the puzzle: Open source gaming

Don't blame the internet. It will save us, in the end. Open-source development paired with a donation and/or subscription model digital distribution is what I'm seeing at the end of the tunnel.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 06-11-2013 at 11:51 PM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    The funny thing is that article was written two years ago in 2011.
    No kidding, I still remember riding around in horse drawn carriages and the invention of electricity in 2011.