Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Local Game Stop Sells 18 Xbox One Pre Orders today by 3PM

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Local Game Stop Sells 18 Xbox One Pre Orders today by 3PM

I went to my local Game Stop in South Texas to preorder the OUYA and asked about the Xbox One. I was told that it wasn't doing too bad. They had already taken preordered 18 systems in one day. WHYYYYYYY?
    All my meseta if you can guess what CMTZ stands for.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

How weird, I was just in a Gamestop today and one of the clerks who was talking to another clerk about how the PS4 looked amazing had a guy come up and ask for an Xbox One preorder. He said, "are you really sure about that, man?" and after some insistence from the customer, rang up a preorder.

Such is the case in many Gamestops probably, I can see them pushing the PS4 a lot more than the Xbox One.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cmtz View Post
    I went to my local Game Stop in South Texas to preorder the OUYA and asked about the Xbox One. I was told that it wasn't doing too bad. They had already taken preordered 18 systems in one day. WHYYYYYYY?
    Same thing happened with the WiiU. Preorders mean almost nothing anymore. In the past decade, the world has become almost evenly divided between resellers/flippers and people who just want something so they can enjoy it. I guarantee at least half of those are preordered to resell, just like half of the PS4 preorders are for resale.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

its because either they plan on reselling imediately with the thought of "first batch never been opened xbox one 1000 dollars" which they know there are some retards out there that will buy it like that just so they can hop on youtube and facebook and be like "yo bro i got a original release model.. 10000x better then that second release model".

Also because of these

every 9 y/o kid knows to stay on top of cod you need to evolve quick. so parents had this planned out way in advanced to avoid lil timmy from throwin temper tantrums in stores with video game sections

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

With the way sentiment has been on this forum(and lets face it, internet forums in general) about Xbox One you'd think that nobody would want it. But thats really not the case. I think that alot of people(myself included) are disappointed with the used game restrictions and the authentication process but they are still excited for Microsoft's next gen system. I was working at Gamestop for one of my clients today and they had already sold most of their XB1 preorders(they only had 6 left alloted to them to sell). Like others mentioned, people are going to try to flip both the XB1 and PS4, which is typical during console launches.

Beyond that there are still alot of people who actually want to buy the XB1 at launch just to play, despite all it's restrictions. I've been contemplating preordering one but they still have alot of unanswered questions to clarify. I'm not ready to jump in yet. But watching all the tweets coming thru Microsoft's daily show and just reading online about all the people already preordering it looks like Microsoft's system is going to do better than we all expected it to do. Still, I could live with the authentication process and Kinect can be turned off at any time. But the restrictions on used games is just ridiculous.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the most of the Gamestop preorders went to people like me who watch the E3 conferences and are ready to preorder right now to get in line. That is not to say that some of these may also be flippers.

The Gamestop I preordered at had several left at 8pm, but they said the stores in the more affluent neighborhoods were sending preorders their way because they ran out early.

Usually additional quantities of systems become available for preorder as the release approaches.

I have preordered both. Nothing was said top me about PS4 preorders disappearing when I went in (same guy behind the counter).

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Actually I thought of another possibility as well too

Another trend on the internet right now is Unboxing videos whenever something new comes out a bajillion people video themselves with this new product in box and Well... Unboxing it to show you what it comes with. How to hook it up (if necessary). How it works. And what the personal quick opinion on the item is.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    With the way sentiment has been on this forum(and lets face it, internet forums in general) about Xbox One you'd think that nobody would want it. But thats really not the case. I think that alot of people(myself included) are disappointed with the used game restrictions and the authentication process but they are still excited for Microsoft's next gen system. I was working at Gamestop for one of my clients today and they had already sold most of their XB1 preorders(they only had 6 left alloted to them to sell). Like others mentioned, people are going to try to flip both the XB1 and PS4, which is typical during console launches.

Beyond that there are still alot of people who actually want to buy the XB1 at launch just to play, despite all it's restrictions. I've been contemplating preordering one but they still have alot of unanswered questions to clarify. I'm not ready to jump in yet. But watching all the tweets coming thru Microsoft's daily show and just reading online about all the people already preordering it looks like Microsoft's system is going to do better than we all expected it to do. Still, I could live with the authentication process and Kinect can be turned off at any time. But the restrictions on used games is just ridiculous.
    I don't know about that. Beyond the used game thing, the mandatory and more expensive XBL subscription for even basics like video streaming and the mandatory check-in, there's also the $100 price differential for a console that at least on paper has slower memory and other design choices that could result in a less than optimal experience. Like I said in another thread, given how close the performance will be between the two consoles, I can't imagine many users choosing the more expensive option without some very, very compelling exclusive games which I so far haven't seen from Microsoft. A lot of us used our 360s more heavily this generation simply because the PS3 versions of many multiplatform games had performance issues. So, we ended up buying PS3 exclusives and then everything else on the Xbox 360. That won't be the case again, especially given the more restrictive used policy and the possibility that Xbox One games won't function after Microsoft pulls the plug a decade down the road.

Are there some people that absolutely are die hard Xbox ecosystem people? Of course, but even in its best year, Microsoft only had about 15 million paid Gold subscribers worldwide. That's not exactly a massive audience for what Microsoft is trying to do here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I don't know about that.
    You don't know about what? My point was simply that the system is going to sell despite what we have all read on the internet about nobody wanting one. I never said it was going to sell like gangbusters, nor did I say they would outsell the PS4. But the nearly universal sentiment online is that nobody would want to buy this system because of it's restrictions. Thats the way people felt BEFORE Sony had their press conference yesterday revealing that they weren't going to take a similiar DRM route. So now the sentiment just got magnified. And yet the preorders for each are selling just fine.

Again, I'm one of the many people who are disappointed by their restrictions, particularly the used game policy. But that doesn't mean that I won't eventually pick one up. And yes Sony's cheaper price and non-restrictions for online play and used games are a major advantage for the PS4. But that has nothing to do with my initial point of everybody thinking that the XB1 won't sell a single console.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

It will sell to some obviously. The Madden and CoD crew probably doesn't care if they can play a game in 20 years. They just want to play with friends who have the same game until the next one comes out. We obviously care more about that issue than they do. Parents and people on a budget care about saving money by sharing games (a practice I almost refuse to participate in because people seem to have a problem returning things in the pristine contrition that it was lent out in) and buying/selling used games on their own.
    If Kinect wasn't a requirement, and the whole DRM mess/24 hour server check-in thing was non existent I would already be in line given my overall positive experience with the 360, RROD problems and all considered. So basically; the PS4 meets those requirements and as such will likely be my pick this gen. Besides; BC isn't even a factor this go around so where is that incentive?
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robocop2 View Post
    It will sell to some obviously. The Madden and CoD crew probably doesn't care if they can play a game in 20 years. They just want to play with friends who have the same game until the next one comes out. We obviously care more about that issue than they do. Parents and people on a budget care about saving money by sharing games (a practice I almost refuse to participate in because people seem to have a problem returning things in the pristine contrition that it was lent out in) and buying/selling used games on their own.
    If Kinect wasn't a requirement, and the whole DRM mess/24 hour server check-in thing was non existent I would already be in line given my overall positive experience with the 360, RROD problems and all considered. So basically; the PS4 meets those requirements and as such will likely be my pick this gen. Besides; BC isn't even a factor this go around so where is that incentive?
    I think many people are underestimating just how many Madden and CoD players there are on the PS3 and how many there were on the PS2. Just in doing a quick search, Madden 2010 sold over 2 million copies on the PS3 versus 2.5 million on the Xbox 360 within the first few weeks of launch. By 2011, that gap was even tighter. The numbers are and have been similar on various CoD releases. Yes, ultimately those games tend to sell more on the 360 than the PS3 consistently, but it's not a massive difference and certainly not anything that can't reverse almost immediately in this generation.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    You don't know about what? My point was simply that the system is going to sell despite what we have all read on the internet about nobody wanting one. I never said it was going to sell like gangbusters, nor did I say they would outsell the PS4. But the nearly universal sentiment online is that nobody would want to buy this system because of it's restrictions. Thats the way people felt BEFORE Sony had their press conference yesterday revealing that they weren't going to take a similiar DRM route. So now the sentiment just got magnified. And yet the preorders for each are selling just fine.

Again, I'm one of the many people who are disappointed by their restrictions, particularly the used game policy. But that doesn't mean that I won't eventually pick one up. And yes Sony's cheaper price and non-restrictions for online play and used games are a major advantage for the PS4. But that has nothing to do with my initial point of everybody thinking that the XB1 won't sell a single console.
    Your previous post seemed to imply that lots of people want an Xbox One. I just don't know about that after yesterday. It will clearly sell, but the price more than anything is going to make it a tough sell when compared to a technically superior piece of hardware for $100 less. Yes, some gamers may think the included Kinect is worth the extra money, but I'm skeptical of how much people really value a device like Kinect for anything beyond casual games involving fitness and dancing. I don't know how well preorders are going, nor do we know how many are legit purchases and how many are flips. The WiiU sold out of preorders almost immediately at Gamestop. The weekend after launch you could find the WiiU in both versions almost everywhere as resellers realized that there was zero demand and zero profit to be had. Will the same thing happen here? I don't know, but preorders really aren't a good indication of anything anymore.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Although I can not cite a single benefit of XB1 over PS4, someone is going to choose to not care and buy anyway. Their money, their loss.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Top sales in video games at Amazon. PS4 is #1, Xbox One is #2, PS4 controller is #4, a different version of Xbox One is #5. Wish we knew how many both were whether it'd pass the PS4 for #1. Watch Dogs PS4 version #6, Killzone Shadow Falls #9, PS4 camera #11, Battlefield 4 PS3 #13, Infamous Second Son #14. That's the first 20. There are some more PS4 stuff before it, but the next Xbox One stuff is a controller at #24 and the first game Forza at #25, then Battlefield at #28. The two Xbox One games make me think that #5 and #2 don't come close to the #1 ranked PS4.

You weren't able to preorder the PS4 until the E3 announcement. So at Amazon the PS4 is doing better. Who knows everywhere else. I'm sure there will be an announcement made from Gamestops CEO in the next couple of weeks.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I preordered a XB1, as well as a PS4.

Obviously, I've said many negative things about the Xbox One over the last few weeks, and all of that holds true. However, I still plan on getting one, and gaming their system. Basically, my attitude will be that I'm buying every single multiplat on PS4. There is no reason to buy it on XB1, when it's so restricted in what I can do with that game later. So, just buy it on PS4 and don't worry about it.

So, the only thing I'll be using a XB1 for is the exclusives. Dead Rising 3 and Forza, stuff like that. The only thing I'll buy on XB1 will be games that I can't get anywhere else. Also, you can bess believe that I'll be using their new rights system to the maximum advantage possible. My 1,000 friends list will be filling with about 800 game trading partners from cheapassgamer.com. So, I'll have zero problems selling a game to one of them, or buying a game from one of them after they have been on my friends list for 30 days. Some publishers might block the ability to do that, but I'll just avoid those games if they do.

There are a lot of shitty things about the XB1, things that really bother the hell out of me, but at the same time, I'm a hardcore gamer, and I want to experience all those damn exclusives. I mean really... you tell me what big games Sony is going to have on launch day ? XB1 has Dead Rising 3. What does PS4 have ? Killzone ? (pretty lame), DriveClub (wish it was Motorstorm 4) or Knack (cute game, but $59.99 ?? ). inFamous Second Son is the game I really, really, really wanted. The damn thing got delayed till sometime in 2014. I'm not a big Killzone guy. I'm not sure about Drive Club. Forza looks better to me right now. I wish it was Motorstorm 4. That would have been sweet. Knack is cool, but that better be $29.99 on PSN or something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

^Infamous Second Son is the only exclusive that I'm interested in and its delay into 2014 means I won't get a PS4 until 2014. The good thing is that by that time, Watch Dogs and that one Tom Clancy game should be $20 or fairly cheap by then, so I'll wait until a buy two get one free sale hits and get those along with something else to keep costs down. The Tom Clancy game that I can't remember the name looked surprisingly good. Mirror's Edge 2 would be on my list whenever that comes out as well.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 06-12-2013 at 12:47 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Such is the case in many Gamestops probably, I can see them pushing the PS4 a lot more than the Xbox One.
    It is surely in Gamestop's best interests to push the PS4 as it appears that it will be easier to sell used games. Used games must make up a big chunk of their revenue.

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

It doesn't mean anything.

Sega couldn't keep up with the demand for the 32X when they first released it and then it completely bombed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    It is surely in Gamestop's best interests to push the PS4 as it appears that it will be easier to sell used games. Used games must make up a big chunk of their revenue.
    I'd honestly think non independent used game retailers would rather support the Xbox One. Just think. People can no longer sell on Ebay, Craigslist, or to people that they haven't had on their friends list for atleast 30 days. Even if they do sell or trade that game, that's it. The game can be given to someone one time. So places like Gamestop, Best Buy, or Amazon know that if people want to get rid of their old games for cash or credit they're the only place these people can turn to. Meaning they're going to screw you even more on trade ins than they already do.

Independent retailers might stock the Xbox One games, but I if they can't sell used, then I doubt they'll stock the console and only push PS4 and Wii U.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I think many people are underestimating just how many Madden and CoD players there are on the PS3 and how many there were on the PS2. Just in doing a quick search, Madden 2010 sold over 2 million copies on the PS3 versus 2.5 million on the Xbox 360 within the first few weeks of launch. By 2011, that gap was even tighter. The numbers are and have been similar on various CoD releases. Yes, ultimately those games tend to sell more on the 360 than the PS3 consistently, but it's not a massive difference and certainly not anything that can't reverse almost immediately in this generation.
    I hadn't really thought about the overall sales numbers between the two versions to be honest.

I was more speaking to the fact that I don't think many of them would really care if the system plays used games or whatnot. At least if they primarly play either of those types of games as they almost always have to have the latest version when it comes out so they can stay "current" I have friend who almost exclusively uses his 'box for Madden and other than a few random games here and there doesn't use it for anything else. He is also in a league with some other people and they all have Xbox 360's I would expect as well. Depending on the whole group; I would think that might have an impact on which system some choose. OF course the 'cheevo whores will also have a stake in the One as well I would wager might push them in that direction.
    Point is that I could see some die harders sticking it out just because they're already there and the shortcomings don't affect them. That having been said; I would bet most of the pre-orders are going to be flipped.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.