Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: how often do you clean your NES games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default how often do you clean your NES games

I know there are a lot of variables to this question, such as amount of play time. However, do any of you have a rule of thumb for cleaning games. I always give mine one good cleaning after I buy them, but do not know how often I should clean for maintenance.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i think I cleaned all my games for the first time in like 20 years like a month ago.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Once, typically, when I first get them. As long as you don't blow on them or do anything to get them dirty, keep the contacts protected so they don't get dusty, and keep your system clean, you should be good to go for a long, long time. I've got SNES and Game Boy games I bought brand new in the early/mid 90s, and they're still perfectly clean because they've always stayed in their sleeves/baggies. The only time I clean stuff again is if I'm getting any issues getting a game to start up. Then I usually stop and give the game and system a quick cleaning, although considering I usually get nothing off of them when I do that, it's probably something other than dirt that's causing the issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When they need it, no more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Only time I have ever cleaned a game is if it looked dirty. Which is only a few. Most games I have had since I was a kid I have never cleaned not once, and they still look as clean as day one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Years ago when I had the time I'd give them a once over with alcohol and a qtip, but I only do it now if I look at the game and it appears to need it as I keep them on a shelf sideways in sleeves so dust stays out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I clean (Brasso + Rubbing Alcohol) my games when I first buy them. No filthy games violate one of my Nintendo Entertainment Systems. Also, I clean a game when I pull it out my collection for the first time in a long time to ensure that it's good to go.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I only clean the my games when I first get them, then never again. The games that I have that were bought new have never been cleaned. The same goes for my NES. Boots first time, every time.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Once, typically, when I first get them. As long as you don't blow on them or do anything to get them dirty, keep the contacts protected so they don't get dusty, and keep your system clean, you should be good to go for a long, long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    When they need it, no more.
    Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    I only clean the my games when I first get them, then never again. The games that I have that were bought new have never been cleaned. The same goes for my NES. Boots first time, every time.
    These.

Oddly enough I just cleaned all my NES games yesterday. I had never cleaned them before, and all of them are at least 2nd hand as I didn't own an NES as a kid. I was amazed by the crap I found in there. Most of them were pretty dirty. Some had obvious signs of being blown on. Some had some pretty nasty corrosion. It's no wonder a lot of them didn't work or had trouble working. I've decided that I will clean any new cartridge game I add to my collection regardless of whether or not it's been designated as cleaned since I've cleaned a few games with polish residue on them, among other things. What's strange is there were a few that looked brand new inside. They must have hardly been played. Now, I don't want to stick dirty games or games with residue in my clean system. So before anything else, I clean them. Beyond that, as long as your systems is clean and you absolutely DO NOT blow in your carts ever, and you keep them away from dirt and liquids you shouldn't have to clean them again for another 20-30 years.

Come to think of it, I've decided I'm going to start avoiding buying games that are listed as having been cleaned as I recently got a group of games with stripped screws and polish residue all over the inside. I wish people like that would just leave well enough alone. Anyhow, here's a copy of Mega Man 2 that I couldn't get to work. It's no wonder having seen that. Now, all my NES game fire up the first time and work flawlessly. I recently did all my Genesis, SMS, and 32X games as well. Next I'm on to the SNES as soon as more polish comes in.

Here's before, and no, that's not dirt. That's corrosion.

And after.

Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Peach (Level 3) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default how often do you clean your NES games

When I by something used or if they've been sitting for a while without playing them. Just sitting the contacts seem to get dirty. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I only clean them when they are first acquired. I haven't bothered to check if any are dirty since.

Cherry (Level 1) TheRetroVideoGameAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I usually clean my NES games when I first get them due to the games usually needing a really good cleaning if they come from eBay or from a small mom & pop shop, but usually if I get them from an actual game retailer they're already cleaned. But to be honest, I do a full collection cleaning of all my cartridge based games once every 6-8 months to ensure they play perfectly, it's something I've been doing for years.
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!
    *UPDATED* on 11/4/13 The Retro Video Game Addict reviews: Tekken 2 for the PS1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I recently used a white hi-polymer eraser to clean my NES pin connectors. It's a good way to avoid the moisture created by liquid cleaners.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

When I get them and if it has been a long stretch and I'm selling something I use a security bit and open it up. I use isopropyl alcohol 91% and a paper towel ripped in bits and folded into a NES cleaning kit type shaped pad and I clean until it doesn't discolor the white paper towel, that's it. Then I wipe it off with a dry piece after for the 9% that wasn't alcohol in case it leaves a little film. For stuff that refuses to come off, careful use of both a wet and dry magic eraser with the same alcohol solution. It has never failed.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    I've decided that I will clean any new cartridge game I add to my collection regardless of whether or not it's been designated as cleaned since I've cleaned a few games with polish residue on them, among other things.[/IMG]
    I do the same. I trust no one, haha. For my own auctions, I do advertise that I clean the games/systems, but I also further explain that I'm a game collector and know what I'm doing. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For my own auctions, I do advertise that I clean the games/systems, but I also further explain that I'm a game collector and know what I'm doing. :P
    But are they professionally cleaned, Aussie2B?
    Last edited by treismac; 06-12-2013 at 12:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

I do the same. I trust no one, haha. For my own auctions, I do advertise that I clean the games/systems, but I also further explain that I'm a game collector and know what I'm doing. :P
    I pulled apart one today covered in white paste. I can only assume the butt nut used polish without opening the game. It was all over up on the PCB too! I'm actually thinking that once I make some videos of how I clean games, I'll link to them in the sale/auction so they can see for themselves that it's being done right.

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    But are they professionally cleaned, Aussie2B?

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Maybe I should open up the Videogame Cleaning Authority to offer my professional cleaning services starting at $30 to pour rubbing alcohol over the contacts, $40 if you want me to use a q-tip, and $50 if you want me to use an additional dry q-tip when done. Of course, I'll have to go into hiding and never allow anyone to know who I am or what my qualifications are, but that's the price you have to pay to be an authority.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Maybe I should open up the Videogame Cleaning Authority to offer my professional cleaning services starting at $30 to pour rubbing alcohol over the contacts, $40 if you want me to use a q-tip, and $50 if you want me to use an additional dry q-tip when done. Of course, I'll have to go into hiding and never allow anyone to know who I am or what my qualifications are, but that's the price you have to pay to be an authority.
    Seems legit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    These.

all of them are at least 2nd hand as I didn't own an NES as a kid. I was amazed by the crap I found in there. Most of them were pretty dirty. Some had obvious signs of being blown on. Some had some pretty nasty corrosion. It's no wonder a lot of them didn't work or had trouble working. I've decided that I will clean any new cartridge game I add to my collection regardless of whether or not it's been designated as cleaned since I've cleaned a few games with polish residue on them, among other things.
    The one local place in my town that sells games never cleans any of there stuff and you wouldn't believe how much crap you can scrub off with Brasso.

Here is my method:
    1) scrub with a pink eraser to losen the dirt
    2) polish with Brasso and a clean cloth
    3) Wash off Brasso residue with rubbing alcohol (91%) and q tip
    Last edited by Flam; 06-12-2013 at 05:12 PM.