Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Im Going To Play A FF Marathon, help me stay with it, Please?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Im Going To Play A FF Marathon, help me stay with it, Please?

Ive already started to play 7 (I played for the first time last year), and then I plan on playing 4,6 and then 9. Ill use cheat codes for the SNES games since I can use those. The trailer for 15 got me so pumped up. I felt weird last night, playing it, and then a Louisianan friend shared a story saying another plant blew up. Scary. Ill play Kingdom Hearts again after this, really excited for the third game being made.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't understand why you'd play a marathon and then cheat...

Any why not start at #1 and go forward?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bigbacon View Post
    I don't understand why you'd play a marathon and then cheat...

Any why not start at #1 and go forward?
    I really love Game Genie. I want to hit the high points of the series. Ive played 1, it was good, but I didnt like 2 and maybe I should play the DS version of 3 somehow to see how it is. Should I really play 8? 10 and 12 I should play too. The only ones I wont play are 11 and 14.

Man, 7 was ahead of its time with the way things went in the 00's. No way it would have been made during that decade.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thats what I don't understand, marathon but you play like the popular ones only. 8,9,10,12 are fantastic. Honestly 7 is over rated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JakeM View Post
    Ive already started to play 7 (I played for the first time last year), and then I plan on playing 4,6 and then 9. Ill use cheat codes for the SNES games since I can use those. The trailer for 15 got me so pumped up. I felt weird last night, playing it, and then a Louisianan friend shared a story saying another plant blew up. Scary. Ill play Kingdom Hearts again after this, really excited for the third game being made.
    What? Cheating in FF? Lame. At least play them in order.

I really love Game Genie. I want to hit the high points of the series. Ive played 1, it was good, but I didnt like 2 and maybe I should play the DS version of 3 somehow to see how it is. Should I really play 8? 10 and 12 I should play too. The only ones I wont play are 11 and 14.
    Personally, I'd play 1-9 and leave it at that. IMO, 10 is a snooze fest and any after that fall between "blah" and "crap".

IMan, 7 was ahead of its time with the way things went in the 00's. No way it would have been made during that decade.
    What?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i'd only really skip X-2 and then 13/13-2

7 was good but its just not OMGBBQ good. I just gets the praise because it reinvented the genre and was the first 3d one. It is long and tediuos game. I've never been able to play through it a second time without getting bored while still on disc 1

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Didnt think Id run into people not liking 7 so much. I didnt play it as a child or young teenager, its not nostalgia that makes me like it. I really love the characters and story. I even kinda really like the Lego styled characters on pre rendered backgrounds. THE MUSIC! Oh my god, Square has made some amazing soundtracks, and this is one of them. I want to mix things up, it doesnt matter when I play the games, theyre not related by story.

One thing I dont like about FF 7 is that Aeris/th is so focused on with Cloud in the story. I dont want to like her, I want to like Tifa, maybe the Christ archetype for Aerith makes me step back from her. But Tifa is just my type. Shes a strong kick boxer, cares abotu the world, smokin hot, and she cares about the guy even though they grew up together and she didnt friendzone him. I guess it does matter how you answer questions, last time I played it I got Tifa on the date, and I plan on getting her again on it. I didnt like how CLoud wasnt so into her until the end.
    Last edited by JakeM; 06-14-2013 at 11:27 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

14th try to get on the swinging bar, finally made it!

Aeris found out the truth about me and Tifa :S oh well, shes totally in the friend zone. If this game is ever remade by SE then they need to build up the possibilities more on how you treat Tifa and Aeris. I wish Jessie was more expanded upon, I liked her more this time around, maybe she could have survived the explosion and got to the jungle gym? Just a thought for the inevitable remake theyll do one day to keep the company alive.

I didnt know I could go into that love hotel until it was too late :/ Ill look up a video of what happens.

EDIT: Man, that was hilarious!
    Last edited by JakeM; 06-15-2013 at 10:19 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Double Ugly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Go for it man! Don't listen to the naysayers, just have fun. If you want to see the best the series has to offer youre doing it right IMO. If you want to play the other ones later then do it. You would probably lose interest if you did 1-10 in order (I would lose it too & fast).

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

If I was going to play a marathon I'd start at the first like everyone has mentioned. Also there's really no need to cheat on the first game since it's not difficult at all. Final Fantasy 2 the NES version isn't really difficult as long as you go where you need to go. Make sure to remember where they tell you to go and if enemies are way too difficult where you're at then you went the wrong direction.

Final Fantasy 3 on the NES is a massive grind fest and battles are so slow. It's like when in combat, characters attack and move atleast two times slower on FF3 compared to FF1 and 2 which makes that grind that much more painful. I'd say skip this game altogether. It's garbage. If you're playing the DS version it's just as much of a grind fest and while classes are more useful, it's just not a fun game. If you do play it and don't cheat. Have fun grinding after every single new area. Also changing into toads, mini, requiring the use of one specific class per area, etc. Such a garbage game.

Final Fantasy 4 I'd recommend playing the PSP version if you have the option. Don't play the GBA version because it's just bugged. If you can't play the PSP version then play the PSX version. If you can't play that then go for the SNES. Final Fantasy 4 is the one PSX port that has load times just as fast as the SNES game. The reason why I say to play the PSP version is that it's got all the extra dungeons of the GBA version but none of the bugs. It also includes Final Fantasy 4 The After Years. The After Years is meh for the first nine chapters, each of them lasting around 30 minutes to an hour, and I'd recommend to stick with it, because the final chapter when you get all your characters together consists of a very well balanced 10 hour long final dungeon and it makes trudging through the rest of the chapters worth it. Like the how the other remade games got randomized dungeons, this one is a non randomized dungeon with bosses from each and every game in the series starting with more difficult versions of FF4 then 1-6.

Final Fantasy 5 don't play the PSX version. Either emulate a translated SNES copy or play the GBA version. The PSX version has poor load times. Same with Final Fantasy 6. SNES version or GBA version. Then play 7, 8, 9, and 10-2. Don't listen to all the haters. 10-2 is amazing. The gameplay and the quests more than make up for the story. I'd skip every other main Final Fantasy. 10 is probably the best of the worst, but 11, 12, and 13? Garbage.

FF12 does everything right except the gameplay, the gameplay is horrible. You might as well not even play the game because the game will play itself. If you do play 12, you'll want to leave healing and skills up to you and have gambits take character of attacking whoever the leader attacks. Don't use magic because magic is a joke. It costs so much and even if the enemy is weak against it, doesn't take much more than your attacks, and you'll be in need of your magic for healing. The one magic spell you want to have with all your characters is blind. Cast blind until it works on every boss. The reason for this is that bosses attack three or four times to your one since after every turn, it doesn't even start the ATB until quite awhile, even if you put the next action into queue. Every boss and every enemy doesn't seem to have this bullshit restriction. It's like Matsuno did everything good on this game, then had a fight with Square Enix because he wanted to have Balthier as the main character and they wanted someone that people could relate with so they added a Vahn who lives on the streets and follows the crew the entire game. Yeah. Way to go. But it's like Matsuno did a great job and Squaresoft whoever took over fucked everything up by ruining the battle system and making it fucking worthless. If you get blind early game, then early game is going to be grindy as hell when you a shit ton of money to upgrade your equipment. And once you get Penello back? Use her points to see what the weapon and armor list looks like so you can go straight to where you need to in order to equip stuff.

Combat and the license board just ruins Final Fantasy 12. I'd recommend against playing it. One of the worst in the series. Sub par RPG.

--

If you play games in the Final Fantasy series that aren't part of the main series in your FF marathon.

Mystic Quest is a great game. It's an easy game, but it's good. Dirge of Cerberus has a poor story, but it's a fun third person shooter. Crisis Core has sub par story and sub par gameplay, but if it's your first time playing you'll probably like it. Skip the Crystal Chronicles games. Never played The 4 Warriors of Light or Revenant Wings.

Then if you go into spin off games. The Chocobo Dungeon games are very good rogue like games. On Chocobo Dungeon 2, if you have a second PSX controller here's a hint. Turn the character to CPU controlled and if you really need help, turn the second character to 2P control. When on 2P control, the second player can move around as many turns as they want and attack once as long as Chocobo doesn't move. The enemies won't move either. So move the second player to the enemies, attack, then move out of range, move Chocobo, then repeat.

Chocobo Racing > Mario Kart. Not the best Kart racer as I've heard Crash Team Racing was really good and never played it, but Chocobo Racing doesn't penalize you for being a better player like Mario Kart does.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

12 is either a love it or hate it. I had it pre-ordered so I had it day one. Spent some time with it and absolutely hated it. Put it on the shelf for like 8 months and then one day started again and absolutely loved it. Though 13.....I still can't do. I'd put 13 on like the far end of the garbage spectrum, like not even close to 10-2 which was bad but honestly not even close to 13.

I should try and finish 10-2. I have a save game at the last part but my characters were so junk, they can't survive it. Time to start over and use the nicely packaged hint book that came with the nice artwork book.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Final Fantasy III for NES actually can be very nice, but only if you play it at 2x speed in an emulator. Something about the slow speed of 8-bit RPGs makes you lose the patience to complete them so turning up the speed really helps increase the fun.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Final Fantasy III for NES actually can be very nice, but only if you play it at 2x speed in an emulator. Something about the slow speed of 8-bit RPGs makes you lose the patience to complete them so turning up the speed really helps increase the fun.
    Hey......YOURE RIGHT! And that reminded me I can increase the speed of my battles in FF 7 too! Thanks, this will decrease the hours of grinding.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Einzelherz's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    I must be strange. I played FF3 on my NES and loved the pacing. There are only two rules for that game: Don't ever run from battles and Un-mini yourself inside mini dungeons when it lets you.

FF2 on the other hand is a chore for me. I stopped just after the snow cave and can't bring myself to go on. This is mostly cause I've finished it on Dawn of Souls already.

My little quest was to play through each game on its original platform. Since I did that in FF1 a decade ago (didn't beat chaos though) I'm counting it. So just FF2, FF4 (got really close), FF5 (finished GBA ver), and FF8 to go.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thought Id liven it up by posting screenshots.

Name:  264857_10151667859198856_360114361_n.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  12.0 KBName:  296102_10151663866743856_1235685763_n.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  20.0 KBName:  1006106_10151665716558856_850549197_n.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  19.6 KBName:  1010661_10151665713868856_1861128653_n.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  9.6 KBName:  1017622_10151665690118856_1289077319_n.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  17.3 KB

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

5 picture limit, oh well. I really wanted these ones up too.

Name:  1016084_10151665706198856_1061250234_n.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  9.4 KBName:  1011841_10151667865713856_1457950516_n.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  17.8 KBName:  1006137_10151667851018856_1650853099_n.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  15.1 KBName:  971745_10151667857353856_549575765_n.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  18.6 KBName:  994765_10151661367393856_895333262_n.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  18.1 KB

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good luck in your quest of boredom...

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Play a real RPG like the Dragon Warrior games.

Final Fantasy is an overrated series, 7 sucks if you ask me and looks like blocky shit. 6 (or 3, whatever) is the only FF Ive ever actually enjoyed. 5 is great too I like the class system in that one.

All the recent FF's since 10 are total typical RPG shit if you ask me. Squaresoft needs to retire this series for good.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey......YOURE RIGHT! And that reminded me I can increase the speed of my battles in FF 7 too! Thanks, this will decrease the hours of grinding.
    this is one of the reason I really like FF12 and the gambit system. You could just sit back and relax most of the time and enjoy the story. Hell did the auto fight thing over a 24 hour period and got everybody up to like level 90 something and breezed through the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I like the part of the story where he goes off into a little bit about his friend telling him about exploding plants.

It's the little things.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.