Thread: Backwards compatible PS3 60 gig - what are they worth?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Backwards compatible PS3 60 gig - what are they worth?

A buddy of mine has a backwards compatible PS3, the 60 gig original model, in very, very good condition. He really only used it for a Blu Ray player, and the occasional Uncharted game. He wants me to sell it for him. I have no idea what these things are worth now. I remember about two years ago, I sold my backwards compat. PS3 and I got some really good money for it, because they were in high demand back then.

But this is a couple of years later. He's also including Uncharted 3 with it. I just put it on Craigslist and said "make an offer", but I have no idea how much I should be trying to get for it. He could take it to GameStop and get a 30 percent boost on the trade in because he could put that towards his preorder. I'm not sure what GameStop is giving for one of those...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SlowGolf2004
    PSN
    ownerizer
    Steam
    WDENNIS5280

The own the "60GB BC" Model, only because I wanted the hardware backwards compatibility between PS1 and PS2. Mine has an upgraded 320GB HDD, and three years ago I paid $230 for it. Once the PS4 comes out and it's not backwards compatible with anything, I imagine a running one's value will skyrocket.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VexingEnmity
    PSN
    VexingEnmity

Honestly they are YLODs waiting to happen so unless you have a brand new one the value won't get too high.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i have a 60gb that i bought new and is still on firmware 2.53
    and they are between 200- mid 400 range i believe in original condition and complete. i am thinking about selling mine just been putting off ebaying it.. i havent turned it on in 2 years so its just collecting dust for me.
    <a href="http://profile.mygamercard.net/neozen666">

</a>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Enmity View Post
    Honestly they are YLODs waiting to happen so unless you have a brand new one the value won't get too high.
    Actually, if you change the thermal paste, install a better fan, and possibly a more efficient power supply they are quite solid. Eventually the only working ones that remain will be those that had the upgrades done to them, probably making them even more valuable since they're the only reliable way to get that nice PS2 upscaling.

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    Actually, if you change the thermal paste, install a better fan, and possibly a more efficient power supply they are quite solid. Eventually the only working ones that remain will be those that had the upgrades done to them, probably making them even more valuable since they're the only reliable way to get that nice PS2 upscaling.
    Gonna highjack for a second...

In order of importance The upgrade list:

1. APS-231 Ps3 power supply (from a CechG model PS3). These are compatible and run much cooler than previous models. I have personally burned my hands on the original Z model power supplies.
    2. New thermal Paste on both major processors. The original thermal grease is poor quality and they put far too little on. Get arctic silver or something of equal value.
    3. >> GET NEW THERMAL PADS!! Replace all the original dusty ones they are of poor quality.
    4. Dust regularly. They love collecting dust in the fan area so none of the hot air can get out.
    5. The original fan is actually probably the best. You can try with a 15 bladed counterpart from later models, my suggestion is to keep the original in the machine. Make sure the fan is clean though! No smoking around this guy. I've seen how bad it can make things.

The major problem is not the boards. It was the design. They decided to use non Lead based solder. So it has a lower temp threshold.

If you feel like going beyond get those processors reballed with lead based solder so they don't liquify as easily.

Or you can go my route and wire in three fans into the motherboard. Then remove a portion of the bottom case to install two gamer grade heat sinks on it. Don't forget to cut a hole in the side and install a fan. The power supply will overheat as result of the poor design. 60$ for the heatsinks and a little over an hour modding gets you this: http://www.sincerelychris.com/pichost/P1050747.JPG

To answer his question:

Lately I've seen YOLD systems go for a little as 20$
    Working systems generally go anywhere between 250$-400$.

This greatly depends on what is included. What firmware, games included, accessories.

His will most likely stick around the 300$ mark because it is not upgraded with a larger hard drive, and doesn't have many games included.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've also been wondering about this since I still have an original launch 60 gig PS3 as well that I don't use.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Insert Coin (Level 0) PROTOTYPE's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I sill have mine that i sadly paid 500.00 new, the good news it works great! Now I've just pick up 2 back ups units off e-bay used. The first one was all most new [ box ] he never play games on it and only watch about 20 movies on it then got a new Blu-ray player...Cost 164.00+ 20.00 shipped. The 2nd one was no box 184.00 + 30 shipped with extra controllers ect.. mint condition. So, all I need now is a super slim..ha.
    Last edited by PROTOTYPE; 06-23-2013 at 11:21 AM.
    If it's not fun? Your not really playing.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Enmity View Post
    Yup, exactly. I don't quite understand why anyone would really want one. Lets face it, if you dont already own a ps1 and a ps2 system they can be found for 5-10$ and 20-30$ respectively (with games and controllers most likely). How much would any repair job cost on a ps3? More than it would cost to obtain a ps1 and ps2 systems. I dont see the logic in spending extra for a system that WILL break/have problems just so you can play ps1/ps2 games. You would be better off just buying a later model ps3 that wont run down. Every single backwards compatible model ps3 I see on CL has problems.

Yeah I understand that space can be an issue and it would be nice having one system that plays all 3 platforms, but I just dont see it being worth the potential problems that will most likely arise. Besides, 60 GB is not very impressive. Ive got a 320 GB model and its about half full.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    But this is a couple of years later. He's also including Uncharted 3 with it. I just put it on Craigslist and said "make an offer", but I have no idea how much I should be trying to get for it. He could take it to GameStop and get a 30 percent boost on the trade in because he could put that towards his preorder. I'm not sure what GameStop is giving for one of those...
    Just noticed this. Uncharted 3 requireds 3.55+ FW I believe so jailbreaking it may not be an option at this point. Just another thing to note.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

I've also been wondering about this since I still have an original launch 60 gig PS3 ,with original box paperwork etc,..(bought new at DP store)

I only use it to test games a,few games a month for a Flea market vendor..

I have around 20-30 games for it I don't play..I don't have the time..