Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What, Duh: "Second hand games and the rental market needs to be stopped..."

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy View Post
    When I read this at first I thought it was stupid, as I immediately thought 'how could you possibly enforce that'? (Even before I saw the post immediately after).

Digital sales only for the first 1-3 months, maybe a year? Then release a hard copy, maybe at a lesser price like they do anyway after a game has been out for a year.

I'm sure they've thought of it. Heck it happens now really, just not with the so called 'AAA' titles. I've bought at least 2 games like this (The Journey collection, and the Walking Dead Collection), both of which sold well in their digital form but couldn't be traded in, and are now available on physical media, but won't earn the Gamestops of the world much in revenue even if they sell a few.

It would be a stopgap until they go all digital - you know, like a way to ease the market into becomming more and more comfortable with digital only sales.
    Actually Nintendo just did this with the Super Luigi WiiU release. It's already out on digital, but if you want the disc, it won't be released until the end of next month.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

I think a big part of the problem is publishers re-releasing the same game on 2 and 3 differnent skus(goty, dlc, collection) you know that when you buy a AAA title the day it comes out its gonna be worth 10$ by the end of the year of its release when they release more "complete" editions. Whats the value of borderlands 1 on consoles? 2.99? I wouldnt even pay a dollar for it. Publishers should look at Nintendo to keep the value of their games high, not mass selling them at 19.99 or less new. Last month I have bought brand new sealed games at my local Microplay gamestore for ridiculous prices
    Resident evil 6 ps3 9.99
    street fighter x tekken vita 4.99
    aliens colonial marines ps3 9.99
    syndicate ps3 4.99
    transformers fall of cybertron 360 9.99
    shadows of the damned ps3 4.99
    final fantasy XIII-2 ps3 4.99
    spec ops the line premium edition 360 9.99

I bought all these games that are fairly recent and a lot of them less than a year old for 60$, the price of a single release. 8 games for the price of one. I cant recall a generation of consoles with such low prices and value, maybe the fact that this generation has been going on for 8 years now (and still going on for at least 2 years) is part of the problem. In the first 3 years of ps3\360 there wasnt a single game selling for less than 49.99 on sale, and you can bet your ass that next gen will be the same for the first years.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    I think a big part of the problem is publishers re-releasing the same game on 2 and 3 differnent skus(goty, dlc, collection) you know that when you buy a AAA title the day it comes out its gonna be worth 10$ by the end of the year of its release when they release more "complete" editions. Whats the value of borderlands 1 on consoles? 2.99? I wouldnt even pay a dollar for it. Publishers should look at Nintendo to keep the value of their games high, not mass selling them at 19.99 or less new. Last month I have bought brand new sealed games at my local Microplay gamestore for ridiculous prices
    Resident evil 6 ps3 9.99
    street fighter x tekken vita 4.99
    aliens colonial marines ps3 9.99
    syndicate ps3 4.99
    transformers fall of cybertron 360 9.99
    shadows of the damned ps3 4.99
    final fantasy XIII-2 ps3 4.99
    spec ops the line premium edition 360 9.99

I bought all these games that are fairly recent and a lot of them less than a year old for 60$, the price of a single release. 8 games for the price of one. I cant recall a generation of consoles with such low prices and value, maybe the fact that this generation has been going on for 8 years now (and still going on for at least 2 years) is part of the problem. In the first 3 years of ps3\360 there wasnt a single game selling for less than 49.99 on sale, and you can bet your ass that next gen will be the same for the first years.
    I think it's interesting that Nintendo keeps coming up in this thread despite the fact that the WiiU has sold very poorly and the software has sold so poorly that Ubisoft is no longer releasing Rayman as an exclusive and won't do a sequel to ZombiiU. Nintendo may maintain MSRP on its games for longer than other publishers, but it sure hasn't helped them with the WiiU.