Thread: Back to the Future (NES, 1989) - What If Rare Programmed It?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Back to the Future (NES, 1989) - What If Rare Programmed It?

I understand that Back to the Future for the NES was a really bad game, but... how would you have felt if the game had been programmed by Rare Ltd. instead of Beam Software?

IMO, Rare's musical team headed by David Wise could've made the Huey Lewis & the News and Chuck Berry adaptations a bit better.

What do you think?

~Ben

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    garou5016

Quote Originally Posted by ColecoFan1981 View Post
    What do you think?
    It would have been a turd with better music.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Rare also programmed the NES version of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", so...

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by WoodyXP View Post
    It would have been a turd with better music.
    What I mean is that David Wise could have (and his company should have been the one to do it) much better arrangements of "The Power of Love" and "Johnny B. Goode" than how Beam's Gavan Anderson had done it. What I mean is that Mr. Wise would probably preserve the song's original BPM (beats/minute).

~Ben

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ColecoFan1981 View Post
    What I mean is that David Wise could have (and his company should have been the one to do it) much better arrangements of "The Power of Love" and "Johnny B. Goode" than how Beam's Gavan Anderson had done it. What I mean is that Mr. Wise would probably preserve the song's original BPM (beats/minute).

~Ben
    I imagine that Dave Wise would have added his own compositions in place of the Huey Lewis and Chuck Berry songs and they would have been even better than what was on there. I don't think Rare could have done a better job but it could have ended up more like Battletoads.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'd rather some of the BGM (if you can find any room for separation for each stage) be that of the Wizards & Warriors forest theme than the sped-up version of "The Power of Love." What about you?

~Ben

Strawberry (Level 2) starsoldier1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the game would have been bad either way since I think the game was released in an very broken or early state yet the publisher didn't care. For example here is how I feel different NES companies handle their games:

Tengen: I believe the game is not living up to our standards and we may have to cancel it before we spend too much on the creations of the cartridges.
    Capcom: This game needs more balancing issues, character development, and better music before we can finalize the project.
    LJN: Good enough, now where's the coke!

Internet Ent Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MadMikeJ83
    Steam
    mad-miker83

I think LJN had more to do with the licensing than the actual creation of the game. Beamsoft made BTTF II & III for the NES and they jacked that one up pretty bad too....a guy with a huge pomp haircut and a blue mechanics suit running amidst Super Mario Brothers rejects and Lakitu's deformed children? Of course, 1 is not that much better either, would make more sense for the game to be about Glen Danzig going on a violent rampage across Hill Valley for a beer!

If RARE had done it, it would have likely been very freaky, I find RARE's character art, particularly in the W&W games, very freaky, and their soundtracks can be pretty crazy too. Remember the water elemental from Ironsword......it's like intoxicated sonic ramblings of a crazed Jazz guitarist with a pension for 7th chords. Just what we need, a 16 tile high Biff Tannen spitting DeLoreans at Marty while Marty tries to fight back with a badly rendered Gibson ES-335 guitar with limited attack range from the headstock.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mike View Post
    I think LJN had more to do with the licensing than the actual creation of the game. Beamsoft made BTTF II & III for the NES and they jacked that one up pretty bad too....a guy with a huge pomp haircut and a blue mechanics suit running amidst Super Mario Brothers rejects and Lakitu's deformed children? Of course, 1 is not that much better either, would make more sense for the game to be about Glen Danzig going on a violent rampage across Hill Valley for a beer!

If RARE had done it, it would have likely been very freaky, I find RARE's character art, particularly in the W&W games, very freaky, and their soundtracks can be pretty crazy too. Remember the water elemental from Ironsword......it's like intoxicated sonic ramblings of a crazed Jazz guitarist with a pension for 7th chords. Just what we need, a 16 tile high Biff Tannen spitting DeLoreans at Marty while Marty tries to fight back with a badly rendered Gibson ES-335 guitar with limited attack range from the headstock.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ6ku...GMTiQ&index=13
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Mike View Post
    Just what we need, a 16 tile high Biff Tannen spitting DeLoreans at Marty while Marty tries to fight back with a badly rendered Gibson ES-335 guitar with limited attack range from the headstock.
    Actually, that sounds pretty awesome.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."