Thread: Has anyone purged most of their collection? Is Gamefly worth it?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Has anyone purged most of their collection? Is Gamefly worth it?

I've come tothe realization that when I beat a game, I tend to not want to play it again. As a result, these games just sit and collect dust. I was thinking of purging everything i don't really want.

I was thinking Gamefly might be a good service for someone like me. Anyone have any opinions on it?

Another alternative would be to buy a game I want to play used, beat it in a couple days, and then resell it for the same price. Basically game for free.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Never know what the games will be worth in the future, so it may be worth keeping what you already have.

Teh Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When you purge your collection, you may end up wanting it back more than you think. If you're not going to play them at all though, then it might make sense to start purging slowly.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RetroRich View Post
    Another alternative would be to buy a game I want to play used, beat it in a couple days, and then resell it for the same price. Basically game for free.
    If Gamestop still has this policy, you can buy a game from them used and return it in seven days for a full refund regardless of reason. Whether you don't like it, you beat it, whatever. I think when you return it you can only get store credit for it. You might want to ask someone who works at Gamestop of this though.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you do sell your collection of games, do it privately on Craigslist, eBay etc. Gamestop will give you next to nothing on trade in unless your games are fairly recent releases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The biggest downside to renting, is... Renters Guilt

When you are signed up to a rental plan, and you're paying so much per month, you expect to try to get your money's worth. So, because of this, you feel like you have to play only your rental games, because otherwise, you feel like you are cheating on yourself. It's Renters Guilt. Just be aware of it.... it's real....

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    If you do sell your collection of games, do it privately on Craigslist, eBay etc. Gamestop will give you next to nothing on trade in unless your games are fairly recent releases.
    Even with recent releases you're better off selling on Ebay or Craigslist. Ebay is especially tempting because recent releases can hold their value pretty good for wee bit of time. If only the fees didn't take so much of it. Craigslist, if you have a recent release, you can probably get $45 cash for it, which is better than store credit that requires you to buy other overpriced stuff.
    Last edited by WCP; 06-26-2013 at 05:08 PM.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JakeM View Post
    Never know what the games will be worth in the future, so it may be worth keeping what you already have.
    Video games are terrible as an investment. It makes no sense to hang on to them if the only reason is hope that they'll increase in value. You'd get a better return selling all your games and investing that money in the stock market, or countless other better investment opportunities.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Video games are terrible as an investment. It makes no sense to hang on to them if the only reason is hope that they'll increase in value. You'd get a better return selling all your games and investing that money in the stock market, or countless other better investment opportunities.
    When you think about it, very few things depreciate faster than video games. Once a game is released and out in the public, the value immediately begins to drop. It's only more downhill from there.

The only things that I can think of that depreciate faster is food that can be spoiled. Cars depreciate pretty quickly, but video games take the cake.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mr.Russian

Yah, but I looked through my spoiled food recently and found a dreamcast game worth 90 bucks that I never liked. Also gba games and systems seem to be selling pretty well on ebay you wont get back the initial cost but if you havnt played it in 5 years get rid of it!
    But wait two months because that's what I plan to do!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Quote Originally Posted by supaevil View Post
    Yah, but I looked through my spoiled food recently and found a dreamcast game worth 90 bucks that I never liked. Also gba games and systems seem to be selling pretty well on ebay you wont get back the initial cost but if you havnt played it in 5 years get rid of it!
    But wait two months because that's what I plan to do!
    Yeah, but that's the exception, not the rule. Generally, games depreciate in value and holding on to them is a long shot. You'll usually only wind up with a few that are truly worth anything.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Well, he already has the games, so its not an investment really. Im just saying that hes talking about selling them now, but maybe hell want to play that game later, who knows what could happen. Right now the games arent worth much since theyre just normal used games, but who knows what things will be worth in the future.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

I've used Gamefly for about 4 years now and don't have any major complaints. The turnaround isn't quite as fast as Netflix, and you will sometimes have to wait a week or three for the newest releases, but other than those small caveats I can't complain.

Some of their used game sales are really great also. The packaging is always brand new and any included codes that are still valid, and free shipping!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    The biggest downside to renting, is... Renters Guilt

When you are signed up to a rental plan, and you're paying so much per month, you expect to try to get your money's worth. So, because of this, you feel like you have to play only your rental games, because otherwise, you feel like you are cheating on yourself. It's Renters Guilt. Just be aware of it.... it's real....

Even with recent releases you're better off selling on Ebay or Craigslist. Ebay is especially tempting because recent releases can hold their value pretty good for wee bit of time. If only the fees didn't take so much of it. Craigslist, if you have a recent release, you can probably get $45 cash for it, which is better than store credit that requires you to buy other overpriced stuff.
    That's what I do with the few games I decide to get rid of. Fuck trading them in at Gamestop or any other retailer and getting a fraction of what I paid for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSGTheSportsGamer
    PSN
    DOAsaturn

Quote Originally Posted by Zthun View Post
    Yeah, but that's the exception, not the rule. Generally, games depreciate in value and holding on to them is a long shot. You'll usually only wind up with a few that are truly worth anything.
    I think game prospecting can be fun - snapping up cheap titles that were vastly overlooked, underappreciated and (big AND) possibly underproduced. There is such a thing as rare modern physical games - they are few and far between and generally people don't know of their existence until they are deemed rare.

That and you usually can do pretty decent snapping up true limited editions if you keep them sealed. Want to play the game? Buy the LE and the regular game and sell the LE later for profit to cover the cost. You can essentially game for "free" in this regard.
    www.weekendroady.com - Weekend Roady!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I have literally no consoles or games as of right now (not by choice) last time I had one or access to one I owned a wii and a friend had a 360 and we used gamefly to buy used games and rent yes. Its better than it was with regards to getting titles now (more warehouses I believe) pricing is perfectly fair if not excellent when you consider the local rental store (if one still exists in your area) usually wants $7 a week or some such thing and of course may have limited selection and availability