Thread: TurboGrafx-16 games = Expensive

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default TurboGrafx-16 games = Expensive

Ok, so this is a major, major generalization. But still, Turbo games are very pricey. At least on Ebay they are. There aren't any places where I live that you can go to and physically buy Turbo games, and I haven't found any places on the net either, other than Ebay. So my only option for the most part is Ebay, and on Ebay, the Turbo is gold.

Yeah, there are games like Keith Courage and TV Sports Football and World Class Baseball and stuff like that, that can be had for $5 or less, but everything else can command much higher prices.

I've been trying to win an auction for games like AeroBlasters, Military Madness, Splaterhouse, Neutopia, Legendary Axe, Blazing Lasers, Bonk's Revenge, Ninja Spirit, Legendary Axe 2, Bonk's Adventure, Neutopia 2 and games like that for the longest time, but the bid amounts and the shipping get way, way out of control.

At least for me anyways. A game like Military Madness can go for 20 bucks or more, with 6 bucks shipping. 26 bucks to me, is alot of money for a really old school game. (by the way, I'm not a collector, so it might have alot of collector value, but I'm not interested in that part of it) I can get about 4 good Sega Saturn games for 26 bucks. Or 4 really good Super Nintendo games. Or 6 really good Sega Genesis games. Or 4 good Playstation 1 games.

But, hey, what can I say. That is the market for these games, so I just have to deal with it. Either pay the money, or shut the F up. No use whining about it.

I was just wondering if any of you guys had noticed the same thing, about how expensive Turbo games can be.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I paid on average about ten bucks per title for my Turbo Graphx games, through trade value or just picking the right time to scour ebay. They sure aren't going to match the dollar carts in milk crates at the flea because they're nowhere near as common. :P Damned if I've even seen one TG-16 game in the wild.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes I too have noticed this...it gets even worse if you're looking for games that are complete, or with their outer boxes.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    chunkycorn

I fond them once 30 different games or 1.61 each. that was the goofy resale shops prices on CDs. I sold them all as a lot because i coudn't find the system. I took that cash and baught a tone of other stuff. now man i wish i had those back again, I'm slowly working on it.
    My life and perception has changed, but my principals are the same.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's because you're in way, way too late. It's an awesome system, totally unique vibe, that was overlooked for a decade. for years I collected only tg stuff. The TE is still the BEST handheld out there, bar none. If you really want to just play the games, pay for Magic Engine (emu), it's absolutely worth the $15 to register.
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chadtower
    That's because you're in way, way too late. It's an awesome system, totally unique vibe, that was overlooked for a decade. for years I collected only tg stuff. The TE is still the BEST handheld out there, bar none. If you really want to just play the games, pay for Magic Engine (emu), it's absolutely worth the $15 to register.

I just can't get into emulators. I need to hold the real controller in my hand. And I need to be able to play it on my Big Screen TV in the comfort of my living room, as well as on my RGB monitor in my Dungeon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you get the right kind of controller (The Gravis USB is what I use, and it is nice) and a TV-out card...and assuming your PC is close to your TV...well you can use the emulator and barely even realize it is an emulated TG16. Anyway, as for the games, yes, prices are abit high now. But it isn't always that way. I purchased Bonk 3 (hucard for over $100 on ebay and when I resold it I only got $50! THe prices go up and down, and if you're patient you'll end up getting games for cheap. And by cheap I mean under $10. As for some of the extremely rare games (ie: Magical Chase), be prepared to spend anywhere from $100-$300. I basically stopped collecting for the system for that main reason. I just cannot afford spending this much for vintage games, no matter how good or rare they are. I love the system with all my heart (as I do the Neo-Geo), but unless I win the lottery or get a great paying job I will not be collecting for these systems any time soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

ya man just try to score them at flea markets and garage sales "not common to find at all" but it happens.

Other than that its Ebay or Roms.

Or maybe put some stuff up for trade to some guys with TGFX16 stuff on this board.

Its feasable to find stuff like Chrono Triggers for 10 bux in the wild then just bay it and buy a couple TGFX games and look at it like you got em for under 10 bux.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it can be done, cheaply even. the key to collecting is to take what turns up and be patient. my turbo collection is about 60 now, built up in bursts based on big finds or trades. anytime you find a tg16 in the wild it usually comes with 12+ games, usually the same 12 games but its a start. i guess the one trick to to finding tg16 games is always check the used CD section in thrift stores. another method might be to advertise, my friend has found two big turbo sets by posting and answering notices aboiut video games for sale.

its such a unique system, my favorite of the era...now can anybody explain the color of the jewel case spines? whats the system there, most are orange some are green, purple, yellow etc?

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by christianscott27
    whats the system there, most are orange some are green, purple, yellow etc?
    To denote the genre, shooter, action, puzzler, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah...they're spendy, and hard to find, but worth it. Great system, no question. And what's weird is that a lot of the imports for it are coming DOWN in price, while the domestic stuff is going up up up.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Y'all get no sympathy from me as although I forget the exact amount, I'm pretty sure I spent around $30-40+ each for my tg-16 games with only rare exceptions :P

And I was a starving college student at the time!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the imports have come down because 1).The TG was much more successful in Japan and for the most part there are a lot more games floting around, and 2) imports have become a lot more available in the states in recent years, though availablity has increased to meet the demand.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They're worth the money no matter even if they are expensive and are hard to find.