Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hope for collecting to get better/easier?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Hope for collecting to get better/easier?

It seems like I picked the worst time to start collecting. Most everything is expensive and prices keep climbing, I can't find ANYTHING for a decent bargain from all my local resources, and it feels like I missed the grace period where game collecting was affordable for someone like me with a limited income.

I check every Goodwill/Value Village/Pawn Shop/etc. every chance I get, and I'm lucky to find decent recent games, but cartridges? Impossible.

I have access to local independent game stores with good selection, but you're lucky to even get ebay prices from these places.

It's a good thing I focus on PS2 collecting, but it's at least partially due to pragmatism. Anything older than PS2 is out of the question.

So, the point of this thread is to ask,

Is there hope that game collecting will cool down/crash/etc.? I know prices have skyrocketed the past few years, and that as of late many prior avenues for game collecting (goodwill, craigslist, etc.) have largely become a thing of the past, but could things get better? Could a successful and exciting new console gen in PS4/XB1 distract some people for instance? Is there precedent for a meteoric rise & fall in interest like this for game collecting?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, you should probably buy newer games used, their prices are cheap. With retro games, if it "crashes" itll mean people just keep them in their houses longer waiting for prices to be able to go back up. You go into older game stores and theres the same really expensive sealed copy of this or that thats been there for a year, so theyre not making money on those anyway.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

Not everyone is going to get good deals. People seem to think just because they go looking for a deal they will find it for pennies on the dollar. You can easily put more time and energy then it's worth for the deal you get.

I suggest just pay fair market value for whatever games you are wanting to play and quit worrying about the monetary value or increasing the quantity of your collection.

The next option is continue looking for deals and cross your fingers you come across something. Too many people think they are the kid from Willy Wonka finding the golden ticket.

I'm starting to see lots of topics like this about how people can't find any deals in the wild. It's not like the community holds the secret answers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Right now if you want to collect older games I suggest getting into the Genesis. Genesis games for the most part are pretty inexpensive. There are a few that are on the rise though.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by needler420 View Post
    It's not like the community holds the secret answers.
    Yeah, exactly. Really good finds at craigslist and goodwills are harder and rarer now than in years past, but good stuff can still be found. With goodwills and salvation army you gotta understand that many times they will have nothing at all. You gotta keep going, alot. Every once and awhile nice stuff shows up and you just gotta get lucky and be the first person who notices it.

In terms of current prices it seems that so many people just want classic video games. I really cant envision a huge crash. Prices always seem to go up before and after christmas time, and they never seem to totally level out. People say the prices have skyrocketed over the last few years but it seems they have always gradually gone up over the last 15 years. I think its due to the stuff getting harder and harder to find, and you just CANT expect deals anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    Right now if you want to collect older games I suggest getting into the Genesis. Genesis games for the most part are pretty inexpensive. There are a few that are on the rise though.
    Yeah collecting Genesis games is awesome, Ive always loved collecting them because its so much easier to find them complete. Not to mention not having to deal with cardboard boxes as packaging. The plastic genesis cases are so sturdy in comparison and many times they are very identical which makes it very easy to replace broken ones. I got deep into collecting genesis games 5 or 6 years ago and I compiled a huge collection. Back then genesis games were even cheaper and way more affordable than collecting complete snes or nes games. I think alot of people collect snes over genesis because they think snes is way better, but the genesis is really awesome on its own. There are still quite a few pretty rare titles for genesis that can be found cheap online.
    Last edited by bb_hood; 06-30-2013 at 09:16 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

It is important to remember that many collectors have been doing this for a long time. I have been collecting videogames since I graduated High School, nearly 20 years. Patience is something that you will have to endure if you want to collect. There is not an instant collect button unless you are rich and want to just win things off of ebay. It is true that older games are getting harder to find, due to increased demand/limited supply which in turns makes the value rise. Agree that newer used games are usually cheaper to collect. Networking is also a huge must these days. Collaborate with others in trades and sales. If you are able to work with others, you will be able to help your collection out too.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you want to collect retro, then wait out the boom. When there's a boom, a bust is sure to follow...

Otherwise, collect current/last gen. This is the best time to get into collecting Wii, 360, and PS3. There are great deals to be found on some really great games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by needler420 View Post

I'm starting to see lots of topics like this about how people can't find any deals in the wild. It's not like the community holds the secret answers.
    For some, its as simple as geography - certain areas seem to have a glut of great hunting grounds for retro games and good deals abound while other areas are dry as a bone.

The other problem is actually the bigger problem - resellers - online ads like Kijiji and Craigslist are full of professional resellers who go to all the thrifts and pawns on a daily basis so unless you're as devoted you simply get beaten to everything.

I'm very very thankful my collection is virtually complete at this point, I can't imagine starting from scratch. The items I mostly collect for are pre-crash, which is becoming harder and harder to find in the wild, up to the 16-bit era which is in the middle of the highest prices I've seen in many years.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's no "secret answer." Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. Some months of the year are better than others. Persistence is key. Places that are dry one week might have awesome stuff the next. That's pretty much all there is to it.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

It all depends on why you want to buy these games. If these are strictly to play and you don't mind a beat up cartridge, then you should have little trouble finding pretty good deals on eBay. I'm a huge fan of the 16 bit generation and can provide some insight. For Super Nintendo the games are typically more expensive, but you don't have to go right for Earthbound or other really expensive titles when there are cheaper games that are really fun. For example Super Mario World and Super Mario World 2 can be had on eBay for $10 or less and they're both classic titles. Super Mario All Stars has 4 classic Super Mario games and is only $15. Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past is around $20 but is absolutely worth the money for such a deep and amazing game. Starfox is about $8 and F-Zero is a surprising $6. All of these games would start off a Super Nintendo classic collection really nicely for under $70 and I included shipping in the prices. I didn't even hunt anywhere else to retrieve these prices,I just quickly checked eBay for Buy It Now prices, so if you were to do some deal hunting or win some auctions, all of these great games could probably be bought for around $50-$60 total. That's the price of a new Xbox 360 game for a good start to a Super Nintendo collection. The games might not be as cheap as a few years ago, but if you look for the right games in the right places you can get some deals.

As for Genesis games (because I did say I like the 16 Bit generation) they are way cheaper and I recommend collecting for them as well. Also NES games are cheap too so "retro" games are actually not too difficult to find a bargain on these days. The Super Nintendo examples I gave were just to show that the classic gaming scene as a whole is not too ridiculous to make a humble collection of fun games on.

Also one last thing, buy in "lots" whenever you can, buying bulk is almost always cheaper than buying separately.
    I am known as Theretrogamer12345 on Youtube and Sega-16. I am known as Gunstar Hero on Digital Press. My eBay account is Theretrogamer

[YouTube Link] [eBay Link] [Digital Press Link] [Sega-16 Link]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I disagree with the people that say keep trying to hit up the thrift stores and you will get lucky. You really have to factor in if it is worth it for your gas and time. For me it SUCKS getting up right at the crack of dawn to burn 2 gallons of gas for the chance of finding a 20 dollar game for 3 dollars. I used to hit up all the thrift stores a few times a week and they were picked clean or goodwill is ebaying the good stuff anymore :/

You are prob not going to find a snes and 10 games for 30 bucks but you will find stuff like that for 60-100 bucks. What I do is buy the lot and sell the console + games I don't want. I come pretty close to breakeven. For example I got a SNES mini that was yellowed badly + Donkey Cong country, Zelda link to the past, Super Smash TV, Super Punch Out, Super castlevainia + a few other games for 75.00. So I retrobright the mini and sell it for 60.00, no lower than 50.00. Now you aren't going to find that much either but. If you think about it if you could track down a lot for a decent price once a month you're collection will grow quickly. Of course after a while you are going to run into the same games but its a good way to start.

Oh and here is another reason you never find good deals..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	110812-nes.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	6836

Last edited by SuperSonic; 06-30-2013 at 02:04 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    Yeah collecting Genesis games is awesome, Ive always loved collecting them because its so much easier to find them complete. Not to mention not having to deal with cardboard boxes as packaging. The plastic genesis cases are so sturdy in comparison and many times they are very identical which makes it very easy to replace broken ones. I got deep into collecting genesis games 5 or 6 years ago and I compiled a huge collection. Back then genesis games were even cheaper and way more affordable than collecting complete snes or nes games. I think alot of people collect snes over genesis because they think snes is way better, but the genesis is really awesome on its own. There are still quite a few pretty rare titles for genesis that can be found cheap online.
    I was trying to complete my N64 collection, but the prices for complete games has really stifled it for me. I'm close though with only 19 games left to go. That being said, I had forgotten how cheap it was to collect for the Genesis, which is still one of my favorite consoles. I'm now focusing on finishing my Genesis, 32X, and Master System collections before they get out of control, just in case. I love the fact that they have the clamshells as well. It's a lot less common to find loose games thanks to those cases. I need to grab some of the more expensive titles now, before they get anymore expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    If you want to collect retro, then wait out the boom. When there's a boom, a bust is sure to follow...

Otherwise, collect current/last gen. This is the best time to get into collecting Wii, 360, and PS3. There are great deals to be found on some really great games.
    Great advice!

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    There's no "secret answer." Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. Some months of the year are better than others. Persistence is key. Places that are dry one week might have awesome stuff the next. That's pretty much all there is to it.
    I can't stress this enough. Finding awesome deals in the wild doesn't happen all the time. You watch these YouTube pickup videos and you see all the good edited together. You don't see any of the bad. The same can be said for collecting online, which how I do most of my collecting. It takes a lot of patience. That's the way collecting just about anything is. It take patience. If you are after instant gratification collecting probably isn't for you.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm currently in the process of trying to sell off about 90 percent of my collection, and my advice is to concentrate on picking up all the cheap common stuff, and wait around for prices to eventually tank.

For example, I think there are tons of great Genesis games that can be had for a song. You just have to avoid Super Nintendo right now, because it's just too damned expensive to start collecting that stuff. Focus on common games in great condition, and just be patient. Give yourself a monthly budget for retro purchases and stick to it.

Also, bargains can be found on Ebay sometimes, but it does take a ton of patience and foresight. Every once in awhile things will somehow slip thru the cracks on Ebay, and if you use a service like eSnipe, you can basically queue up tons of potential purchases, and maybe you're only successful on one out of 10 tries, but eventually you'll start building a library.

One other suggestion that I have, is play the "big bank takes little bank" game. What I mean by this, is find people that have huge lots of games, and offer them a lump sum to take the entire lot of stuff. Obviously, lowball the guy, and many times, you'll get rejected, sometimes the guy will even get a bit angry with your offer, but ultimately, in the end, money talks, and bullshit walks. As somebody that is trying to sell off a ton of stuff, I know that I have sold some things way under value, but the guy bought a bulk lot so I was willing to take a bit of a hit, just to ship all the crap to one specific buyer.
    Last edited by WCP; 06-30-2013 at 03:24 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

collecting is just that, collecting because you want to do. It doesn't matter how you aquire said items you want to get, just the act that you get them for the purpose you want.

Don't fret if you can't find stuff at local places. Nothing wrong with using ebay/CL/etc to get stuff. The prices are what you are willing to pay. 10 dollar game to you may be cheap but someone else may not think so.

So if you want to collect, you got to play the game and put the money you are willing to put up even if that means you only search for 'great deals'

How you do it shouldn;t matter to you or anyone though i'm sure many here or on other collecting forums would think you aren't a 'true' collector unless you are spending your entire weekend driving around to flea markets and yard sales getting the cheap good before others. I buy on ebay and the forums and thats it. I don't actively drive around searching local places for stuff. Do I pay a bit more some times, probably but I get just as much enjoyment out of it when the box comes in the mail as Iwould finding it on a random table at a flea market.
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wiggy nailed it, start looking for deals NOW on Wii, 360, PS3, DS, and PSP stuff. In my experience it's easier to find retail deals on handheld stuff rather than home console stuff. Also, keep your eyes peeled on Black Friday for deals, but that goes without saying really.

As for retro stuff, don't listen to anyone telling you to avoid the SNES. As has already been pointed out, some of the best games on the system can be gotten for $20 or less. You may not get an Earthbound of Chrono Trigger any time soon, but so what? Build your collection slowly and enjoy the games as they come in.

Now about hitting up the retro stores, flea markets, etc: Don't go in expecting to find treasures or amazing deals. Just go to your local spots here and there and TALK to people. Talk to the employees/owners, talk to other customers. Not only will you meet some cool people occasionally, you will make contacts. Some of the best deals I've gotten recently were from other gamers I chatted up in stores or from an owner because I am a loyal customer(because he has fair prices in the first place). I often go to retro stores to see the games and systems(treat it like a trip to a museum) and talk to folks, but sometimes you will catch them slipping. One store that usually over-prices things I recently caught a mini-deal at. I wasn't there for a deal, but it fell in my lap. Get out there, let people know what you're interested in and help them out too if you can.

And like others said, it's not about just finding deals and making out like a bandit. If you pay market value for a game, so what? As long as it's not breaking your budget, have at it. Don't be afraid it will "lose it's value", as you're collecting anyways, right? Besides, any of us who buy new(or even used) current gen games are usually buying games that will devalue in price over time.

The biggest issue right now is certain games on the SNES. As I said before, there are plenty of affordable and fun games that you can still get for it. If you really would like to build up your collection, take your time to get a good, working Atari 2600, Intellivision, Master System, Game Gear, and/or Lynx. These systems are all affordable and not hard to find on ebay(just be careful with GameGear, try to get a refurbished one). Most games on these systems are very cheap.

And remember, collecting is supposed to be fun. Don't let the jacked up retailers and resellers get in the way of that.
    I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe.
    Me blog, Halcyon Gaming
    Me Youtube, Captain Natron

Insert Coin (Level 0) PROTOTYPE's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Angry What the ##@! What happen to XBOX?

Its dirt cheap! The games are Dirt cheap, Hd and there are allot fun games on it.
    If it's not fun? Your not really playing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In 2001 I used to get games for the 2600 for 99 or 69 cents ea. those days are long gone for the most part. Common titles at retro game stores are 99 or 1.99. eBay goodwill and Craigslist are your best options. I would say on older systems you are paying more on the rarity of the game AND the popularity replay of the game. Which is why games like smb3 Zelda and such are more money even though they are mass produced and all over the place

I do Atari 8 bit computer series carts. Look at those cart prices on eBay and compare them to what nes snes genesis games go for commons for the a8 start at about 6.00 and go up from there.

If you hunt and search and fish out good deals you can do well for yourself. I have just hit 160 carts for the a8 but didn't pay anywhere near the eBay prices.

I sold my collection of regular video games in 2010 for a classic car. And now starting over. So I feel your pain. But remember to take your time hunt and remember not everything will be cheap like you wish but with due time and buying group lots and reselling extras you can do well even in this market.
    Current Collection Stats As Of 12/10/2013 : Cartridges - 206 ( 182 unique titles 24 label variations ) : Cassettes - 21 :

Currently in the market for :

+ Atari 8 bit game cartridges ( all brands and most titles )
    + Atari 8 Bit Prototype and Demo cartridges
    + Atari 8 bit manuals and boxes

PM me if you see anything above that you have doubles or interest in getting rid of.

Check out my
    Atari 8-Bit Museum Site at http://www.a8museum.com
    Atari 8-Bit Museum on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/groups/392317377550512/
    And on Ebay under the handle ThePaperVault

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you everyone for all the replies! Thank you for your words of advice and encouragement. My intent is to keep doing what I've been doing, collect specifically for PS2 & Gamecube (my 2 favorite systems, and I'm far along with both), buy PS3 game when they hit the prices I want them at, and keep my eyes peeled for anything else. For Wii, DS, PSP, & original Xbox I've already tracked down all my biggest priorities and I'm pretty much satisfied with my collection for all 4.

If I had to pick the pre PS2 systems I'm most interested in?

PS1 and Japanese Saturn. Those I'm likely to single out in future years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And of course the large number of people who have watched one too many episodes of American Pickers or Pawn Stars and think that old=rare and that they should be pricing high.

I've seen people hawking an NES with a single controller and MArio/Duck Hunt with a water-damaged and barely legible label for 300 dollars plus. They're never going to get it unless the find just that right sucker, but less extreme cases are all over yard sales now. I went to pick up a stack of Atari carts at a yard sale a month or two ago. All common stuff, but a few had labels in better condition than mine like Yars Revenge and Asteroids, so I carried the stack over to the guy who told me the games were 10 dollars each. I politely said no thanks and started to leave but he started talking to me about how these were the original video games and how I wasn't going to find them around for so good a deal anywhere else. He said I really ought to take them because I'd kick myself if I didn't.

It was all I could do not to break into lecture mode. I just smiled and said thanks but no thanks, and left, knowing full well that he wasn't going to sell that stack of games for anywhere near his asking price.

But again, there are decent prices to be had if you're willing to wait and be patient. I bought a HUGE lot of Atari 2600 games, all with boxes and manuals, (somewhere around 70 games, plus the boxed system), for $135 you can see my post Here.

It's a rewarding hobby, if you can avoid getting discouraged.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will say nes and super nes are way to expensive now,I only buy when it's a great deal but I'm mainly into super famicom plus it's so much for affordable.