Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What % of rubbing alcohol is best for electronics and cleaning games?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by needler420 View Post
    I was just going to say if you use a N64 game if will fade the color in just a few wipes.
    Any liquid will do that. I've done that with just soap and water trying to clean really messed up N64 labels.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You did do damage though. Its only perceptible under magnification.
    I'll just leave this here:

Quote Originally Posted by tubeway View Post
    The oils and sweat salt residue on your fingers is slowly eating into and darkening the label artwork on your cartridges every time you pull one from a case with your bare fingers. Better start wearing gloves to handle them.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    For that matter, the uncertainty principle states that the mere act of observing an object alters its state, so don't even look at them.
    I'm pretty sure that only applies to quantum objects.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that only applies to quantum objects.
    Okay, well then, don't look at THIS game:

"And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nesmaster View Post
    I use 99% ISO to clean my labels too, without damage.

The trick is to be sure of what type of label you're trying to clean. N64 and Made in Mexico SNES labels will absolutely be damaged by rubbing them because they lack the glossy protective layer that NES and Made in Japan SNES labels have. For this reason I don't even bother messing with the former.
    I agree here as with others, it really depends on the label type. I've had some labels that stand up fine against ISO, others like N64 that you need to be super delicate with. I do tend to prefer Ronsonol or Naptha for a lot of stuff though, as it dries very quickly.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Okay, well then, don't look at THIS game:

Well played.

And while I'm here, I have to recommend that people using the word corrosion go read a wiki or something on the word. Same with abrasive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    Well played.

And while I'm here, I have to recommend that people using the word corrosion go read a wiki or something on the word. Same with abrasive.
    Paper towels are abrasive. Low grade, but abrasive to soft materials like plastics and even some un-coated glass.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I really can't understand why anyone bothers to respond to Needler420 at all. It's pretty clear that no matter what anyone types, he is going to take the complete opposite view simply for the sake of arguing. I feel like his time here has been a very elaborate troll with his continuous rants about how collecting is stupid and anyone who doesn't play certain games in a certain way isn't "hardcore" or how repros are the worst form of illegal conduct ever created. I mean look at the whole structure of this thread. He lulls helpful forum members in ostensibly under the guise of wanting to know what percentage of rubbing alcohol he should use to clean things. Almost immediately, he starts arguing that it can't be used at all for cleaning carts. I just can't believe this guy is even permitted to still be here as he seems to revel in chaos and dischord.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Paper towels are abrasive. Low grade, but abrasive to soft materials like plastics and even some un-coated glass.
    Oh, no doubt. I wasn't trying to single anyone out, but there was specious use of both terms earlier in this thread.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I really can't understand why anyone bothers to respond to Needler420 at all. It's pretty clear that no matter what anyone types, he is going to take the complete opposite view simply for the sake of arguing. I feel like his time here has been a very elaborate troll with his continuous rants about how collecting is stupid and anyone who doesn't play certain games in a certain way isn't "hardcore" or how repros are the worst form of illegal conduct ever created. I mean look at the whole structure of this thread. He lulls helpful forum members in ostensibly under the guise of wanting to know what percentage of rubbing alcohol he should use to clean things. Almost immediately, he starts arguing that it can't be used at all for cleaning carts. I just can't believe this guy is even permitted to still be here as he seems to revel in chaos and dischord.
    Yeah, I've been wondering myself why he hasn't been banned yet. He's not only disruptive, with his endless trolling spree, but he's also been caught plagiarizing, by copying posts from elsewhere on the internet and pretending that they're his own words. Is this honestly what the Retrogaming Roundtable tolerates these days? This is one of those moments where you can put your finger on the exact reason why this board/site has been going down the shitter, losing (worthwhile) activity and its long-time regulars. We're all in a freakin' bus with no driver here. I said it in another topic, but where the hell are the mods and admins when we need them? It seems like most barely visit the board anymore, so why aren't their powers passed on to people who actually want to be here and will see what's going on?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    Oh, no doubt. I wasn't trying to single anyone out, but there was specious use of both terms earlier in this thread.
    I didn't see that, I incorrectly assumed you were addressing my indication that they were in fact abrasive.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Yeah, I've been wondering myself why he hasn't been banned yet. He's not only disruptive, with his endless trolling spree, but he's also been caught plagiarizing, by copying posts from elsewhere on the internet and pretending that they're his own words. Is this honestly what the Retrogaming Roundtable tolerates these days? This is one of those moments where you can put your finger on the exact reason why this board/site has been going down the shitter, losing (worthwhile) activity and its long-time regulars. We're all in a freakin' bus with no driver here. I said it in another topic, but where the hell are the mods and admins when we need them? It seems like most barely visit the board anymore, so why aren't their powers passed on to people who actually want to be here and will see what's going on?
    Plagiarizing is what a reproduction game is aka known as a bootleg. Not copying someone's post from a site.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Not copying someone's post from a site.
    Depends. If you quote someone and acknowledge it, that's one thing, if you pass the quote off as you're own, its plagiarism.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Both isopropyl alcohol and water are commonly used to clean circuit board assemblies. The alcohol will dry faster than water, but either one is fine if the boards are dried after cleaning.

They even specifically make water-soluble flux, so that you can clean a board using only water after assembly. I work in the industry, so I know this from experience (not just reading it somewhere).
    Sega Saturn USB DataLink - www.GamingEnterprisesInc.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Plagiarizing is what a reproduction game is aka known as a bootleg. Not copying someone's post from a site.
    Whether it was intentional or not, You've exhibited a lack of understanding as to how to properly cite content found on other sites.

If you're going to copy and paste comments from another site to support your position in whatever debate you've found yourself in, firstly, indicate that clearly, cite the original author, use quotation marks around the content that you're copying/pasting and post a link back to the page where the quote originated.

There's no other way to do it without looking like you're attempting to represent the content as your own ideas/comments.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Merriam-Webster:

Definition of PLAGIARIZE
    transitive verb
    : to steal and pass off (the ideas or words of another) as one's own : use (another's production) without crediting the source
    intransitive verb
    : to commit literary theft : present as new and original an idea or product derived from an existing source

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Handling the cart label with your hands, or friction against other materials also causes damage perceptible under a microscope.

If you're looking to keep your games in a state that is un-altered UNDER MICROSCOPIC CONDITIONS ... just don't even touch them.

For that matter, the uncertainty principle states that the mere act of observing an object alters its state, so don't even look at them.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-NgeXl-PPA

Nigel and Needler agree.
    Last edited by Flam; 07-02-2013 at 09:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Flam View Post
    Nigel Tufnel is truly a man after my own heart.

Mainly because someday I hope to own a haberdashery.