Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The modern console collecting topic (PS2 to PS3)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The modern console collecting topic (PS2 to PS3)

This thread exists to share insights, stories, finds, etc. in regards to these consoles,

PS2
    Gamecube
    Xbox
    GBA
    PSP
    DS
    Xbox 360
    Wii
    PS3

No Dreamcast, 3DS, Vita, or Wii U. Basically, the criteria is that the console is a part of recent history, it's either finished within the past several years (Gamecube, Xbox, GBA) or is starting to conclude its lifespan (PS2, Wii, Xbox 360) (PS2 actually has an official upcoming release, Fifa 14).

Since I'm predominantly a PS2 & Gamecube collector, this was a topic whose absence I noticed.

So, who else collects for these consoles? Why do you like them? How do you think they will be viewed and how collectable will they be in the future?

Here are some general feelings/thoughts on the first 4 consoles in question,

PS2: Ridiculous scope in library and diversity in genres. Games are generally in the $10-15 range, but due to the libraries' size many quality games are $10-, and there are a smattering of $25+ games. Collecting for this console is a herculean feat and is a long term proposition. The realization of the PS2's greatness has not yet truly seeped into the general conciousness, like appreciation for SNES took time PS2 will take time as well. Has numerous outstanding import only games.

Gamecube: Quickly went from a lambasted inferior to PS2 to a collecting powerhouse. Its library is a fraction of the PS2's in terms of simple numbers, but it makes up for quantity with quality. General prices are $25-40 for many of its popular/unusual games.

Xbox: Currently flying under the radar. Games are with rare exception extremely cheap, though Xbox is lacking in exclusives compared to its competitors. It received the definite versions of numerous multiplats in its time. People's estimation of the console may increase with time, especially if Microsoft bows out of the console race after Xbox One.

GBA: A future collector's system, and already problematic to collect for. Its library boasts many RPGs and quality exclusives. GBA marked the last system dedicated to sprites, DS was erratic. CIB games are expensive, and piracy is a huge collecting roadblock. The GBA's singleminded focus on sprites and its impressive RPG+general quality game selection will grow its fanbase with time.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah Xbox games, even Halo and all the other hand or two full of great games it had are super cheap. I guess I should buy them up.

PS2 you can still find many great games for cheap, probably because it had so many great games and such a diverse library makes people like so many different games.

At the end of PS4 life then youll see these titles sky rocket in price.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

I don't get how you exclude the dreamcast when its part of the generation of the consoles you listed.

You listed every sixth generation console then said to exclude dreamcast. Makes no sense.

You're even mixing two generations of consoles. Sixth and seventh generation.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by needler420 View Post
    I don't get how you exclude the dreamcast when its part of the generation of the consoles you listed.

You listed every sixth generation console then said to exclude dreamcast. Makes no sense.

You're even mixing two generations of consoles. Sixth and seventh generation.
    While I do consider DC a part of the PS2's gen, I excluded it because it's lifespan ended so much sooner than even GBA and Xbox. I don't consider it "recent history" in the same way.

And heck, Dreamcast deserves its own dedicated thread anyway, would you be willing to do the honors? I personally have the utmost respect for the DC, I didn't exclude it out of condescetion. DC was a gamer's dream console.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have been very surprised to see Gamecube's prices skyrocket. I thought it might happen eventually but it's very early. Do you think the prices will drop some time soon or just keep climbing?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I have been very surprised to see Gamecube's prices skyrocket. I thought it might happen eventually but it's very early. Do you think the prices will drop some time soon or just keep climbing?
    If they start to reappear in HD collections or as digital rereleases on Wii U, prices might drop. If PS4 ends up being a huge success and it distracts people, prices might drop. And this price uptick could just be a phase altogether.

I personally wouldn't be shocked if the prices remained where they are now.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I collect for every system listed except for the Xbox and 360. There's a 360 emulator now though, so I might purchase the few 360 games I've been interested in.

I collect only games that I enjoy playing and would possibly go back to in the future. I have over 100 of games for the PS2, very close to 100 for the PS3, DS, and PSP.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Isn't it time we finally retired PS2/Gamecube/X-Box/GBA to 'Classic'?

Anyway, something I got to mulling over was how little I care about the X-Box and its cataloge. I've recently been getting into PS2 pretty heavily, and its been exciting discovering various aspects of its library. But usually when I'm going through piles of PS2 games there are X-Box titles mixed in. AND I DO NOT CARE. X-Box might be the most boring console of all time IMO

Does it even have rare games? Or rather, desirable rare games?
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Ace_McCannon

A question I've been wondering lately, there are a fair amount of HD collections for the PS3 that I would like to have. My "problem" is, for the sake of playing I'd love to have them for my PS3 obviously, but as for collecting, I'd rather get them on PS2. I can't justify getting for both, not anytime soon anyway. I'm sure I'll end up getting them for PS3 to play through, but I'll be keeping an eye out to snag copies for my PS2 collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Me too, and I'm not really a big Gamecube collector, in fact I mainly got one for the GBA player but I have been interested in a few titles but it seems all the local thrifts and pawns get picked over - tons of PS2 and Xbox games but only sports or kids Gamecube games. Must be the "Nintendo" name and there are some fantastic titles to be sure but it seems of those 3 systems, Gamecube popularity and prices have far surpassed the other two.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post

Anyway, something I got to mulling over was how little I care about the X-Box and its cataloge. I've recently been getting into PS2 pretty heavily, and its been exciting discovering various aspects of its library. But usually when I'm going through piles of PS2 games there are X-Box titles mixed in. AND I DO NOT CARE. X-Box might be the most boring console of all time IMO

The XBOX got some really unique titles in it's library, the main standout is of course Steel Battalion, there's nothing else like it on any other system. There are lots of very cool games that are exclusive like Panzer Dragoon Orta, Otogi 1 &2, and often underrated Phantom Dust. There are a fair number of PC ports, but some other neat titles titles are out there as well.

I think one reason prices are so low on the games is because piracy is so easy. I can't complain though, it lets me snap them up nice and cheaply while other people focus on Nintendo. Kind of like all the people that don't see the cool games the Genesis has to offer over the SNES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've generally focused on Sony consoles for the last decade and longer, as they have always had more and better exclusives than Nintendo and Microsoft. The last few Nintendo consoles have had such a shitty selection of games, that they just haven't appealed to me, and third party support continues to be almost non-existent. I hope Nintendo can gain some third party support back and return to the glory days of the NES and SNES. Microsoft consoles have Halo, Gears, and Forza to rely on for exclusives, but almost everything else is a multi console release.

The PS2 is the best console ever released, from a selection of games perspective at least. Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, GTA, Final Fantasy, Jak and Daxter, etc are just some of the series that exploded on the PS2 and I still enjoy playing. I think the Xbox was a decent console for Microsoft's debut into the console market, but it's always suffered from a lack of support from Japanese developers and consumers. Like Nintendo relying too heavily on Mario, Zelda, and Metroid, I feel MS is relying too much on Halo, Gears, and Forza to move their consoles. I had a love/hate relationship with the Gamecube, as I literally bought it for 2 games. Those being Wrestlemania X8 and Beachspikers Volleyball. It was a shame that the Cube didn't sell better, it was a powerful console capable of some great graphics. All the third party support they lost from the N64, never really returned with the Cube. The fact that it looked like Fisher Price lunchbox probably didn't help either?! The Dreamcast was discontinued too early I think. Sega could've kept that system on the market for at least another year, cuz it took the PS2 a solid year to have a good lineup of games, and the Xbox and Cube really never had a stellar lineup of games.

As far as this current generation goes, I think it's mirroring the last generation of consoles. Although the PS3 took some time to gain some momentum and hasn't enjoyed the success of the PS2, it still has a far better selection of games than the 360 and Wii. The Wii, like the Cube has great first party games, but virtually nothing from 3rd party studios. On the 360 once you get past Halo, Gears, Forza, and maybe Fable, there's really nothing for big exclusives, and all of the 3rd party games can be found on the PS3.
    Last edited by duffmanth; 07-09-2013 at 09:08 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I collect for all mentioned systems(including the Dreamcast). The Xbox is far and away my favorite system to collect for. It has an awesome collection of games not available on any other system and they were made even better due to XBL(another experience none of the other systems came close to last gen). Xbox live pretty much filled the void left by the death of arcades in the US and we no longer had to be in the same room/building as our friends in order to be able to play with them. XBL also gave multiplayer games such as Halo 2 and Burnout 3 infinite replay value. Even when you factor in third party multiplatform games the Xbox received several PC ports that neither of the other two systems got. Collecting wise the Xbox's games don't hold their value as well as Nintendo's first party games but theres a handful of titles that still go for $20+. Plus that also means that now is a great time to complete your game library on the cheap.

I didn't get my Gamecube until after that gen ended. I have a small collection of games for it but most of them are still sealed(you see where I'm going here). Like the N64 before it the GC does have some good games worth playing, especially if you're into their first party offerings. But for me I like a nice mix of first and third party titles. The Gamecube's third party titles were few and far between and the kiddy image was made even more visible in comparison to the other two systems. But collecting wise(if you are just in it for money) it's definitely the system to pick up games for, specifically first party games. And since 90% of my GC library is still sealed I expect to do pretty well once I cash out.

I always liked the PS2 and that was the system I was set to get after rocking my PS1 for the previous six years when preparing to make the jump to next gen. It had a huge collection of games, both third and first. And it was the most mainstream system of it's time. But I always felt it was missing something. No, not Halo. Well yeah it was missing that too but what it really lacked was a unified online multiplayer system like XBL. You could still play games on PS2 but it just wasn't the same and thats probably because Sony didn't base their console around the idea of online mutiplayer like Microsoft did. Not that this takes away from any of it's single player games but I've always felt the PS2 would have been so much better had Sony taken online multiplayer serious back then. For instance, if Tekken Tag Tournament had online multiplayer at launch I might have gotten the system at launch instead of waiting so long. As far as collecting for it, mine is mixed between US and Japanese games. It also doesn't have as many money worthy games as the Gamecube. Where as almost all PS1 rpg's were worth good money at some point in time that isn't the case for PS2 rpg's. You really have to pick and choose. Still, the PS2 currently goes down as Sony's last good system(I prefer the PS1 over the PS2 but both are good systems).

As for the handhelds, I collect for the Psp but it doesn't have much worth playing that didn't also get ported to the PS2 or PS3. The GBA and DS both have an overabundance of good games, made even better by the region free nature of each system. I also collect for all current gen systems but most of my gaming takes place on the 360. I haven't touched my Wii since 2011 and(no surprise) most of my games for it are still sealed. Thats actually a good thing as far as Metroid Prime Trilogy and a few others are concerned. Same with my PS3. Last year I gave it a good run with beating several of it's exclusives but this year I've pretty much only used it for a bluray player. Knowing that this gen isn't over and that all three systems already have some pretty big money games I think that people should start picking up games for each as soon as each systems libraries start to get clearanced, which I suspect will be in another 2-3 years once all the other systems have been out long enough to become established.
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 07-09-2013 at 07:47 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    I collect for all mentioned systems(including the Dreamcast). The Xbox is far and away my favorite system to collect for. It has an awesome collection of games not available on any other system and they were made even better due to XBL(another experience none of the other systems came close to last gen). Xbox live pretty much filled the void left by the death of arcades in the US and we no longer had to be in the same room/building as our friends in order to be able to play with them. XBL also gave multiplayer games such as Halo 2 and Burnout 3 infinite replay value. Even when you factor in third party multiplatform games the Xbox received several PC ports that neither of the other two systems got. Collecting wise the Xbox's games don't hold their value as well as Nintendo's first party games but theres a handful of titles that still go for $20+. Plus that also means that now is a great time to complete your game library on the cheap.

I didn't get my Gamecube until after that gen ended. I have a small collection of games for it but most of them are still sealed(you see where I'm going here). Like the N64 before it the GC does have some good games worth playing, especially if you're into their first party offerings. But for me I like a nice mix of first and third party titles. The Gamecube's third party titles were few and far between and the kiddy image was made even more visible in comparison to the other two systems. But collecting wise(if you are just in it for money) it's definitely the system to pick up games for, specifically first party games. And since 90% of my GC library is still sealed I expect to do pretty well once I cash out.

I always liked the PS2 and that was the system I was set to get after rocking my PS1 for the previous six years when preparing to make the jump to next gen. It had a huge collection of games, both third and first. And it was the most mainstream system of it's time. But I always felt it was missing something. No, not Halo. Well yeah it was missing that too but what it really lacked was a unified online multiplayer system like XBL. You could still play games on PS2 but it just wasn't the same and thats probably because Sony didn't base their console around the idea of online mutiplayer like Microsoft did. Not that this takes away from any of it's single player games but I've always felt the PS2 would have been so much better had Sony taken online multiplayer serious back then. For instance, if Tekken Tag Tournament had online multiplayer at launch I might have gotten the system at launch instead of waiting so long. As far as collecting for it, mine is mixed between US and Japanese games. It also doesn't have as many money worthy games as the Gamecube. Where as almost all PS1 rpg's were worth good money at some point in time that isn't the case for PS2 rpg's. You really have to pick and choose. Still, the PS2 currently goes down as Sony's last good system(I prefer the PS1 over the PS2 but both are good systems).

As for the handhelds, I collect for the Psp but it doesn't have much worth playing that didn't also get ported to the PS2 or PS3. The GBA and DS both have an overabundance of good games, made even better by the region free nature of each system. I also collect for all current gen systems but most of my gaming takes place on the 360. I haven't touched my Wii since 2011 and(no surprise) most of my games for it are still sealed. Thats actually a good thing as far as Metroid Prime Trilogy and a few others are concerned. Same with my PS3. Last year I gave it a good run with beating several of it's exclusives but this year I've pretty much only used it for a bluray player. Knowing that this gen isn't over and that all three systems already have some pretty big money games I think that people should start picking up games for each as soon as each systems libraries start to get clearanced, which I suspect will be in another 2-3 years once all the other systems have been out long enough to become established.

Its good to see someone getting good luck and collecting the way I have always wanted to collect.

To be honest, at least here in the South(Tennessee) it usually takes last gen systems almost 2 full cycles to go down in price to where I would even consider buying the games I want for them. Game shops around here are notorious for charging 17.99-24.99 for old XBox/PS2/Gamecube games, most of which are dirt common/ multiported/already on PC or are basically shovelware in my opinion. These gameshops got smart and now look online and know the current going price for almost every game so its kinda ruined the fun of going game hunting for me .Really the most I want to pay for a retro game if it isn't rare is 9.99 with full cover and box with the other majority being 5.99 or something like that.2.99 on your dirt common if you want me to clean your shop out of games and buy something I don't even need for you not being evil. Not to say I wouldn't pay more if it was a true classic and rare but who wants to pay $14.99 for Soldier of Fortune 2 on Xbox? That is honestly the trend with PS2/Xbox Collecting with Gamecube being even worse when it comes to Mario related games. Yeah I want Silent Hill 3 on PS2 but why is it still 24.99 when I know it will just be ported in a Silent Hill collection pack on PS4/One for like 39.99. Why spend that money if its taking away your current gen gaming budget and gaming experiences.

As for flea markets down here I usually can find an old worn out NES or subpar overpriced loose PS2 games by a stingy vendor who thinks what he has is pure gold. I have been to many Goodwills around Memphis,TN and I can safely say in this city you won't find people throwing anything of value out or a majority of the population never even had it to begin with. The most rare thing I found in the wild was a Gamecube Broadband adapter, thats it. Even Goodwill will overprice a PS2 more than Gamestop and mark it "as is". Its almost laughable to try to be a collector in this state.

I recently started the pawnshop routine but its seem the systems you find they always stuff that people have worn out to where it barely turns on, like the original 360 for example and they still want 40 bucks for just the system no accessories. You can't go through and test every system like you want to because some guy on drugs wants to sell his lawnmower and hold up the sales associate. They really want to take the junk someone passed onto them for 10 bucks and have you buy their broken electronics for triple the price. Its like its engrained in pawn shops to prevent you from getting a good deal so I am now done with them.

Basically,because the market has gotten so greedy on even the common games from that generation and just from overall disappointment in 10 years of collecting I have been forced now to softmod and emulate . I have no problem spending money if the price is fair but its been like this for years and years and doesn't seem to be getting any better in all honesty. All I can say to the new gen of collectors is good luck. Every vendor has his iPhone ready so you can't get that deal anymore.
    Last edited by ReaXan; 07-09-2013 at 09:04 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post

You like to learn about obscure PS2 games? Well, I've done very thorough research into the PS2's library (both US released and import only), and I looked at every game in every genre except for 3,

-Racing
    -Sports (cursory research only)
    -Adventure (cursory research only, there are hundreds of generic anime japan only visual novels which I didn't bother sifting through)

So I know about EVERY RPG, action game, sidescroller, shooter, survival horror game, etc. and here are some legitimately obscure ones you might not be aware of, (all are NTSC, I'll list import only if you want)

Magic Pengel
    Eternal Ring
    Blood Will Tell
    Kuon
    Extermination
    Dual Hearts
    Ring of Red
    Finny the Fish & the Seven Waters
    Galerians: Ash
    Spy Fiction
    Skygunner
    Everblue 2
    Lifeline
    Yanya Caballista
    Shepherd's Crossing

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

duffmanth,

Gamecube and Wii both had a healthy selection of exclusives, believe me. I even believe Wii is comparable/superior to PS3+360

The 1 2 P,

Your point about PS2 RPGs not holding their value is an interesting phenomenon, an occurrence I'm grateful for yet cannot explain. There are some quality RPGs on PS2, some of the best ever, and I should know, I collect niche JRPGs, yet most are still affordable. Some are strangely cheap even, complete big box Dragon Quest 8 for $10? Crazy.

The PSP has many exclusives, though a decent number are japan only.

ReaXan,

Ouch, I'm sorry to hear that. It makes collecting here (Seattle, WA area) sound like paradise. There are a number of independent game stores here, and they tend to price things pretty fairly and have good stuff, but good luck finding any "deals". There seem to be many collectors here, so whatever Goodwill/etc. might have gets snatched up fast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GREEN00 View Post
    You like to learn about obscure PS2 games? Well, I've done very thorough research into the PS2's library (both US released and import only), and I looked at every game in every genre except for 3,

-Racing
    -Sports (cursory research only)
    -Adventure (cursory research only, there are hundreds of generic anime japan only visual novels which I didn't bother sifting through)

So I know about EVERY RPG, action game, sidescroller, shooter, survival horror game, etc. and here are some legitimately obscure ones you might not be aware of, (all are NTSC, I'll list import only if you want)

Magic Pengel
    Eternal Ring
    Blood Will Tell
    Kuon
    Extermination
    Dual Hearts
    Ring of Red
    Finny the Fish & the Seven Waters
    Galerians: Ash
    Spy Fiction
    Skygunner
    Everblue 2
    Lifeline
    Yanya Caballista
    Shepherd's Crossing
    Heh, this list is funny because I have a lot of them (never heard of Spy Fiction thought) and mainly bought them when I found them cheapo because they looked odd. Kuon is highly overlooked though, I've only met one other person who played it and that's because I lent them my copy :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ReaXan View Post
    Its good to see someone getting good luck and collecting the way I have always wanted to collect.

To be honest, at least here in the South(Tennessee) it usually takes last gen systems almost 2 full cycles to go down in price to where I would even consider buying the games I want for them. Game shops around here are notorious for charging 17.99-24.99 for old XBox/PS2/Gamecube games, most of which are dirt common/ multiported/already on PC or are basically shovelware in my opinion. These gameshops got smart and now look online and know the current going price for almost every game so its kinda ruined the fun of going game hunting for me .Really the most I want to pay for a retro game if it isn't rare is 9.99 with full cover and box with the other majority being 5.99 or something like that.2.99 on your dirt common if you want me to clean your shop out of games and buy something I don't even need for you not being evil. Not to say I wouldn't pay more if it was a true classic and rare but who wants to pay $14.99 for Soldier of Fortune 2 on Xbox? That is honestly the trend with PS2/Xbox Collecting with Gamecube being even worse when it comes to Mario related games. Yeah I want Silent Hill 3 on PS2 but why is it still 24.99 when I know it will just be ported in a Silent Hill collection pack on PS4/One for like 39.99. Why spend that money if its taking away your current gen gaming budget and gaming experiences.

As for flea markets down here I usually can find an old worn out NES or subpar overpriced loose PS2 games by a stingy vendor who thinks what he has is pure gold. I have been to many Goodwills around Memphis,TN and I can safely say in this city you won't find people throwing anything of value out or a majority of the population never even had it to begin with. The most rare thing I found in the wild was a Gamecube Broadband adapter, thats it. Even Goodwill will overprice a PS2 more than Gamestop and mark it "as is". Its almost laughable to try to be a collector in this state.

I recently started the pawnshop routine but its seem the systems you find they always stuff that people have worn out to where it barely turns on, like the original 360 for example and they still want 40 bucks for just the system no accessories. You can't go through and test every system like you want to because some guy on drugs wants to sell his lawnmower and hold up the sales associate. They really want to take the junk someone passed onto them for 10 bucks and have you buy their broken electronics for triple the price. Its like its engrained in pawn shops to prevent you from getting a good deal so I am now done with them.

Basically,because the market has gotten so greedy on even the common games from that generation and just from overall disappointment in 10 years of collecting I have been forced now to softmod and emulate . I have no problem spending money if the price is fair but its been like this for years and years and doesn't seem to be getting any better in all honesty. All I can say to the new gen of collectors is good luck. Every vendor has his iPhone ready so you can't get that deal anymore.
    You can start looking for clearanced games before a system completely dies. Start off with places that are moving away from selling games like Sears, Radio Shack or HH Gregg. All of my Sears have withered down there full gaming aisles to about one or two four feet inline sections but soon most probably won't have any. I actually got two of my copies of Metroid Prime Trilogy at Sears for $14 each. Target sells clearanced games year round and Toys R Us usually gets rid of stuff during Summer sales to make room for the new upcoming holiday games. My Staples just started selling platinum hits 360 games via a huge front-of-the-store display. I doubt they will sell many there so once they get marked down I'll be there.

You already know about Goodwill, Savers, Salvation Army and other thrift stores. They are hit or miss in this area but I can find good stuff at Goodwill and Savers most of the time. The Salvation Army never had anything good before it closed down, which means a pawn shop was more fruitful than Salvation Army because I've found things twice at the same pawn shop. I've also experienced those shops you described where they mark common stuff up to $20-$30 and mark popular stuff like Mario games even higher. I believe it was GameGuy who experienced that at a certain store and use to take pictures of the games with their ridiculously high prices. Still, I would swing by whatever local stores you have atleast once a week, especially if it isn't too far out of the way.

Then theres craigs list. It's good for searching game deals but it's also good for placing game ads for stuff you are looking for, especially if you just want to trade stuff you already have. Another tip is to search areas that are not just where you live. Most people only search craigs list by whatever city they live in but checking neighboring cities(provided they aren't too far away) from time to time doesn't hurt either.

The market has gotten alot more competitive, particularly in certain areas. We actually have a few threads on that. But there are still deals to find if you are persistent. Around here theres plenty of dry spells but stuff still pops up enough that I can use alot of my finds to help supplement my income. And you can always ask friends to keep an eye out for you if they happen to travel thru areas you can't normally cover. Just stick with it and eventually you'll find a score that was worth all the trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by GREEN00 View Post
    The 1 2 P,
    The PSP has many exclusives, though a decent number are japan only.
    Of all those systems mentioned the PSP is the only one I don't have any import games for, something I didn't realize until you brought it up. What Japanese imports would you recommend for it? If it helps I usually like shooters, action/adventure and some quirky puzzlers when it comes to my handheld gaming. I also like racing games but my PSP's analog stick is broken so those aren't as enjoyable as they'd be if it was fixed.
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 07-10-2013 at 05:24 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The 1 2 P,

PSP imports...Man, there are many. I lost my PSP research, so I can't give you a thorough list without doing some homework, but off the top of my head,

Final Fantasy Type-0
    Danganronpa 2 (1 is being localized for Vita)
    Frontier Gate Boost+
    7th Dragon 2020
    7th Dragon 2020 II
    Persona 2 Eternal Punishment
    Shinobido Homura: Soul of the Ninja
    Mega Man Dash 1+2
    Umihara Kawase Portable

There are many I'm forgetting. Here's a general list of PSP recommendations,

http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/...ation_Portable

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While I do collect Xbox and Gamecube games, I have a big love for the PS2. I'm actually aiming for a complete PAL set for the console(since I'm European). Currently at roughly 10%.

It has a ton of great games. But also a ton of shitty, quirky, boring, or outright weird ones! I really enjoy finding strange games for this system(and others), because you get to see something completely different from all the mainstream titles. Half a year ago I discovered The Adventures of Cookie & Cream for the PS2(or Kuri Kuri Mix as it's called here), and it ended up being one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had in my life - playing through it with a good friend of mine.